Neck Turning Tool Recommendations

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
It appears that I will be getting into neck turning due to a tight chamber neck for one cartridge, and thick neck brass for another cartridge. (An increase in accuracy wouldn't hurt my feelings either).

I have looked on-line a bit and have seen several makes and models of neck turning systems including K&M, RCBS, Sinclair, Forster, and Hornady. I have also seen several people recommending using a power-driven system utilizing a cordless drill to get a better finish. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to buy or what not to buy? At this point the Hornady system looks appealing since it can be clamped to the table.

I would truly appreciate your thoughts as I reluctantly go into this kicking and screaming.

Dan

This is what works for me. Lee 3 jaw case holder for cordless drill , Sinclair expanging mandrels , Forster handheld turner , and Hobo Oil for lube. Size the case then expand the neck , set the mandrel for depth of the neck and cutter for a slight skim or your desired thickness. I just dab a little lube on the mandrel with my fingure and spin the case with the drill.
IMG_4389.jpegIMG_4388.jpegIMG_4387.jpeg

RL338, Thanks. I have never seen the Lee 3 jaw case holder. I do have Sinclair expanding and turning mandrels I use for neck expanding. However, I don't follow how they fit in the Forster turner.
Dan

that's a link to a thread I posted on neck turning a while ago . since I made that thread I've bought a nicer neck turning tool . I'm now using the 21 century tool , not the lathe set up . it's a lot easier to adjust than the Forester . the Forester has a lot of backlash it the depth setting screw . if you need to back off , you need to back off about a quarter turn and turn down again . you can see the tape reference on my forester , to help keep me from getting lost . the pilots for neck turning are ; are expanding pilots , and turning pilots . depending on the fit is how close tolerance you can hold while cutting the neck . I've also bought the 21 century mandrel kits, they are made in steps of .0005" ( half thousandths ) . I can usually mix and match and get a good snug fit on the mandrel while turning . you want to cut the neck down to the shoulder and just lightly scrape the shoulder . be careful not to cut into the shoulder too deep or the neck will come off .

RL338 and Jimbires, thanks for the inputs. I ordered a 21st Century neck turning tool. The guy I spoke with at 21st Century was really helpful and was a target shooter himself.

Dan

from what I've seen from those guys , they are super . I'm sure you're in good hands dealing with them . top notch tools , top notch guys .

This is what I use and it has served me very well

I totally agree with Jim on the backlash of the Forster. The 21’st will sever you well.

Back