New barrel on .300 Win. Mag. 100 yards to 1,725 yards

.300winmag

Handloader
Oct 17, 2011
Threw my new barrel back on my .300, figure I should get some time with it before hunting season. Already had a load worked up for it and rounds loaded. Went up scouting with a buddy, took two shots to get zeroed at 100 yards with the new barrel. Couldn't be more pleased with the 5 shot group with the 215 Berger's. Found a few bears, three big horns and two bills that would be testing my patience on opening day, my best guess is 310-330" for both of those Bulls. Did a little shooting at the end of the day, started at 645 yards and finally worked our way out to 1,725 yards per our two Leica's. Gotta say I'm pretty impressed with the applied ballistics app and the magneto. You plug good info into it and it has been very good. Telescoping gauges for measure scope height, kestrel for atmospherics and litz's BC have done well for me. Based on my buddy's NF, the rock we shot at was about 1.5MOA wide by .75 MOA tall. Shooting up the canyon winds were mild. AB called for 1 MOA right and that's what I have it. Just a touch low haha flight time of that bullet was pretty long. Overall, an excellent day!!

Link to the video of the shot at 1,725 yards
https://vimeo.com/135274351

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 352
Thanks fella's I got video of one of the Bulls. Eating lunch with the horses two Bulls walked in on us. He's the smaller of the two we saw that day, a lot of mass on him. Sorry about the video quality, iPhone over the saddle. Come up for 1,725 was pretty big haha thought I'd share the ballistics output.

https://vimeo.com/135308412

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 341
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 341
wisconsinteacher":90xukt7q said:
Amazing. Up 67 feet!!!!

Haha thanks, it was a piece for sure! A lot of fun though. Honestly I thought the wind call was light, but it was pretty solid. I've got 20MOA bases and a 6.5-20x50 Leupold LR Scope and those bases are awesome. I've got about 60 MOA of travel in the scope with them and can still zero at 100. My buddy has a 5.5-22x50 with Talley one piece rings/bases (love the design and would buy it in a heart beat), and he only has 53MOA adjustment on his scope with a 100 yard zero. Still trying to talk him into tapered bases, but he's got a good point, when is he going to need 53 MOA For hunting, plus with the MOAR reticule, he's got an extra 20MOA built in. Interesting though, he's got a 26" Schneider barrel and runs 72.5 H4831 with a 215 Beeger and gets 2,863fps, with my 28" Hart and 77.5grs H1000 I get 3,000 even with the same bullet. He's got close to 20 lbs of H4831 so I get why he's sticking with that powder haha

1700+ yards.... That's about a thousand yards farther than a very long shot... Congrats!

D#ng! that is impressive. I am not THAT kind of a long range shooter. looks interesting. Very cool. CL

Here's my 965 yard shot, hard to explain what I was shooting for but the divot on the flat rock. Just about a quarter MOA high and left is where I hit. Doggone canyons are hard!! No mirage to look at! Still a great day. Trace was awesome too!

https://vimeo.com/135321285

Great shooting and cool videos. Thanks.
Watching that 965 that shows the bullet trail in the video is cool!

Brian it looks like you & your buddy had a great day. I would say that your 300wm is really able to reach out and touch something. Good luck on this up coming hunting season it looks like it is going to be a hoot (y)!

Blessings,
Dan

Back