New build

usmc 89

Handloader
Jun 10, 2011
I think i have the 22x47/6.5x47 switch barrel sold. Am going to build a 6x47 lapua coyote rifle "kind of a compromise between the two". Better long range efficiency than the 22x47 and less recoil than the 6.5x47, at least the theory sounds good. Not sure as to all the components yet but i have $4k to work with and a schmidt/bender 4-16x42 pmII to put on top of it. Action will either be a surgeon 591 or a melonited bat tactical. I will keep you posted as i make the final decisions. Should be a good one when its all complete.

You're certainly choosing quality materials for your build. Either cartridge will be interesting. It will be fun to watch your progress.

Decided on a AICS 2.0 with pistol grip upgrade for a stock, may as well keep it similar to my AIAW only lighter.

Both are very interesting builds look forward to photos & the progress reports.
Congrats!!

Blessings,
Dan

Very cool Jeff. Sounds like a cool build.. Surprised you are parting with the 22x47 though..

Jeff,

That is going to be a little darling.
Can't wait for you to get it built

JD338

There are several people competing around here at 600 and 1000yds with 6x47's. It should be a good one. I know they are using 105 Berger Hybrids and H4350.

scott, the 22x47/6.5x47 rifle is a beauty i got what i was asking for it and it is going to a good home. just narrowung down my gear and keeping it similar in configuration. The 6x47 will mimic my AIAW nicely and keep the form current during the off season. I will also probably sell the manners T4 with the CDI bottom metal thats on my .284 win build and get a AI chassis for that as well. Idaho, i think for what i am building it for, coyotes and a back up match rifle it will work perfect. I will be shooting the 105 hybrid out of it for sure, have heard alot of good things about that bullet. alot of the guys that were shooting 6's at the snipershide cup were using the hybrid.

I have been thinking about the 6x47mm for yotes too some thing to take over where the 223rem leaves of with out the powder consomtion of a 243win. Less effected by wind as the 52grs I am using now.

Whats the practical range with a VX3 4.5-14 LR? I realy do not see shooting over 200 to 350 where I hunt too much brush and mainly flat. Pluse I do not have a 300-500 yards range to practise at. Seems like a fun target/varmit cartridge.

the 4.5-14 is plenty of scope out past 800, i dont think i had my schmidt over 16x at the snipershide cup for two reasons, 1 you had to pay attention to the target order, so if you had a station when you were shooting off sticks you would lose the target during recoil and get turned around as to where you were in the sequence and waste time backtracking " you had five minutes to engage either 10 individual targets or five targets from two different positions and locations. 2 i feel the less magnification used tends to make one focus more on the reticle target alignment. some of the targets were 6" plates at the 800 yard mark and 16 power was enough to get it done. 25 power is fantastic when you have all the time in the world to take the shot. at least that is my take on it.

usmc 89":r109gss6 said:
Decided on a AICS 2.0 with pistol grip upgrade for a stock, may as well keep it similar to my AIAW only lighter.

Any thoughts about the AX? I have an AICS 2.0 but I'm thinking about moving to the AX for my next build.

the ax is a good one as well, however you are going to have to use a higher mount in order to clear the barrel shroud. You can order pistol grip skins from AI which gives you the same grip as an ax for $110. That is what i put on my AIAW. Mile high shooters supply carries them. they are alot thinner than the standard skins that come with the standard AICS stocks, I like them better myself. hope that helps.

Note on scopes, my long range big game rig is a 270win with a VXII 2-7 some day I plan on upgrading it to a VX3 2.5-8 just for better glass. I was shooting my 700 SPS Stainless 223 just checking a new batch of my pet load for a safty check. And on a 60 degree day had to back of the 4.5-14x40mm LR from 14 to 10 due to mirage (heat waves). ya don't know to spell it.

i have never had a problem with mirage at 60 degrees before, did you fire a pile of rounds and over heat the barrel?

No just the sun heating the barrel, I fire three shots just to verify the batch was the same diferent lots of components. I seemed to be off the barrel not from the ground between the 100 yard target. My bench is in direct sun light if its sunny. A nice 8x8 roof is in the works.

My 22's have the 3-9EFR 4-12AO and 4.5-14LR and off the bench I usually have the power cranked up to see the bullet holes.

Back