No Coyotes this trip

Larry in SD

Handloader
Nov 8, 2004
Never even saw one. Friday night it was extremely humid and cold. You could almost see the ice crystals in the air. We did get a pack to respond Friday night but they never showed.

Saturday night was crystal clear, brilliant moonlight but no takers, narry a sound.

Sunday night was super cloudy. We did have one sneak in but about the time I saw it it was heading out of the country. Not even 100% positive it was a coyote all I saw was a flash as I turned my head.

It was tough with no snow cover. Hunted some during the day but with 20+ MPH winds I really wonder if the coyotes could hear our calls.

I did manage to take a quite large boar raccoon and a jackrabbit with the .25-06 so I did get to shoot something with the new to me rifle.

2014WishekND_zps78f3c61d.jpg

The photo above is of the Coyotes my daughter and I shot previously (my daughters Coyote she shot in January is on the left, the Coyote in the center is the Coyote I shot in February and the Raccoon on the right I shot this last trip in March.) All 3 are going to be taken to the local Taxidermist near town here to be skinned and the hides tanned.

Now next time I go out I'll be packing a .22 LR for some Gopher Shooting FUN.

Larry

You weren't skunked, at least. That is a large coon hanging there.

Thanks DrMike. Yes I thought it was a large coon also. Now to gear up for the next trip out there to shoot some Flickertail Gophers.

Hopefully I have enough .22 LR Hollow Points saved up.

Larry

Man what would I give to be kid in Uncle Roberts pasture, shootin' richardsons again, Have fun! CL

cloverleaf a buddy and I found a place full of Flickertail Gophers a few years back. We went two years in a row. When I first talked to the farmer he said yes you can come and shoot gophers if you are serious about it. I asked him to explain. He had said that a few years before that some guys from the city came out shot a few rounds got bored and left.

We went the first week in June and I have never seen Gopher Shooting like that. I finally gave up loading the magazines for my .22's and shot them as a single shot, it was quicker. From 10AM to 5PM we each shot over 500 rounds of .22 LR ammo, shooting from a few yards out to about 100 yards.

Exactly one year later we went back. The action was much the same and we each shot 400 rounds of .22 LR ammo in about the same amount of time. I called the farmer the 3rd year and he said we didn't need to both coming back anymore as we shot them out, there were no more gophers.

I haven't talked to that farmer in about a dozen years or so and do not know if the gophers repopulated or not.

Larry

Back