Nosler Brass

sask boy

Ammo Smith
Nov 4, 2007
Good morning, I been involved in a couple of interesting conversations in the last few days and I would like to ask the forum if someone could enlighten me :wink:.
My first question is who manufactures Nosler Brass or do they make their own?
The second question is I have always believed that the back portion of the Nosler Partition was constructed so that the lead would not separate or disintegrate from the jacket so I call it bonded. I have been told that it is not bonded :oops:. What would the proper terminology be for this construction?
As always thank you for your help in educating this old guy (y).

Blessings,
Dan

On page 8 of Nosler Manual #1 there is a description of the placing of the rear core in the formed jacket . As follows;

"The core is tamped firmly in place and the jacket crimped over the core."

I am not aware of any changes into that method, although there may be. I have used several 100s of these bullets and never lost a rear core.

All the best, Jim

Thanks Jim, I read that but was wondering if that is what was called bonding in the early days?

Blessings,
Dan

I don't think Nosler ever claimed the rear portion of their famous Partition bullet was "bonded." It's mechanically locked in place with that rear crimp.

An excellent example of a bonded bullet is Nosler's AccuBond - which is essentially a Ballistic Tip, with the core and jacket "bonded" together. Interestingly, the AccuBond was engineered to approximate the on-game performance of the Partition bullet and in my limited experience, it's done a good job of that.

http://www.nosler.com/accubond-bullet/

.375" Nosler AccuBond recovered from a black bear I shot in 2013, at about 15 feet! It was hanging in the off-side hide. I was impressed, though surprised, to recover the bullet.

It's easy to see that the jacket and the core are "bonded" and difficult to separate.

Regards, Guy

Compare that with the bullet jacket recovered from this year's bear, a .30 caliber, 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip that impacted the bear at about 325 yards, from my .30-06 rifle. The bullet shed its core, and the core did exit the bear, leaving the jacket hung up in the hide, at the exit wound.

Rather different bullet performance, but each resulted in a dead bear.

Sorry for the poor photo quality here, was having a tough time with the camera. I'll try again sometime.

Nosler Partition? Don't believe I've ever recovered one from game. I have recovered them from the water jug tests.

Regards, Guy

Wasn't it about the late 1960's when Bill Steiger started soldering the lead cores to copper jackets, creating his famous bonded bullets?

Scotty and a few others here still treasure those bullets!

Guy

Thanks Guy :wink:! I guess all these years I believed Partitions were bonded and again have learned something new to me at least (y).
Now for the question of who manufactures Nosler Brass?

Blessings,
Dan

This is a pic of a 243 90 gr AccuBond recovered after passing through 6 1 gallon jugs of water at 50 yards. Muzzle velocity +/- 3175. Pretty rough treatment for any bullet. You'll notice that there's still quite a bit of lead left inside the jacket.

Another view below:

Side view:

I'm not sure what their bonding process involves (proprietary, I'm sure) but it works. As shown above, the ballistic tip is 'the same' bullet, just not bonded.

Yes I know that Accubonds were bonded but I thought they were the new & better bullet from Nosler :wink:. I have never lost a animal with either bullet (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Wincheringen":85oysj21 said:
I have recovered one Partition and there is no way that rear slug is coming loose or separating.

At least some Nosler brass is made by Norma.

I've seen one come uglued. 300 Win Mag, 250 yards, crushed two front legs and found in the far side knuckle. 180 Partition out of Elkmans M70...

Scotty,

I remember Doug mentioning that he found a Partition that shed it's rear after hitting a wood pile.

I think it's possible but highly unlikely. Just proves that anything can happen.

chs

Pretty sure the only way partitions lose the rear core is if aliens intercept them in a tractor beam and flip them 180 degrees so the rear impacts hard.....lol.

Here is a 165 NP recovered from the off side hide of a 3-year or so bull elk and a 30-06 around 2825fps or so and 100-yards. First one sailed through, this was the second shot.

kraky1":16amlf7b said:
Pretty sure the only way partitions lose the rear core is if aliens intercept them in a tractor beam and flip them 180 degrees so the rear impacts hard.....lol.

You might be onto something! We've all been kind of suspect of old Douggie and this might explain things........................... 8)

I think some of noslers brass was was made by norma, they purchased silver state not to long ago and wouldnt be surprised if they did all their own brass now.
russ

G'Day Fella's,

Wincheringen":lls0japg said:
At least some Nosler brass is made by Norma.
This was my understanding as well.
Norma, may make all of Nosler's cases for them?

Doh!
Homer

Homer that is what I always believed but then I believed that the Partition was a early bonded bullet :shock:!
Thank you for the reply (y).

Blessings,
Dan

The Swift A-Frame bullet is an H frame bullet similar to the Partitions. However, the A-Frames are bonded and retain most of their weight. Almost every Partition bullet that I recovered smeared off most or all of the forward lead core. For most medium game hunting this may be desirable.

Back