Opinions on Peterson Brass

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
Opinions on Peterson Brass?

A friend of a friend is needing help with some ammo for a .340 Weatherby Magnum. The most inexpensive brass I can find is Peterson at $2.64 ea 🤢

The next cheapest is Weatherby brass at $3.35 ea!! 🤮 (vomiting at the price, not the quality)

I have never used Peterson brass, is it good? We are talking minute of elk hunting accuracy here, not benchrest.

Thanks in advance!

Weatherby brass is not in the same league as Peterson. I use Peterson in my 6mm and 6.5 Creeds , and now in my 257 Wby. Expensive yes , worth it yes.
How do you rate Peterson versus Lapua? I never tried Peterson, I always used Lapua, Nosler and Normas.
I heard good things about Petersons as well.

The only Lapua brass I use is in my 338 Laupa. Some batches I’m at 10x on them. As for Peterson I have a lot with 5x on them for my 6mm Creed. They are both consistent in weight and neck thickness.
Even though Norma makes brass for Weatherby the Norma brass I have for my 460 Wby is more consistent. I have lots of Weatherby brass that vary 8.5 grs. Norma’s are under 3grs.
I prefer my Remington brass over Weatherby in my 300 Wby.
The draw back on Weatherby brass in my opinion is it’s soft. Seems like I’m trimming more off of it than other brands , it likes to stretch more.

a couple guys I shoot with are using Peterson brass . I'm not sure how many reloading cycles they have on it , but they seem to like it .

Peterson is a couple hours drive away from me . the guys went out and toured the factory , they seemed impressed .

? We are talking minute of elk hunting accuracy here, not benchrest.
You already answered your own question.
IMO..
You're way over thinking this.
Your accuracy need can easily be obtained with any brass mfg that offers that particular caliber...no?

I take it he is looking for value. 5-6 firings is the best I got out of Weatherby brass. Primer pockets get loose and case head separation starts showing up. I personally believe Peterson will exceed that.

You already answered your own question.
IMO..
You're way over thinking this.
Your accuracy need can easily be obtained with any brass mfg that offers that particular caliber...no?
I’ve never used the brass, was just asking for reviews. With the quality of brass being less than stellar on some of the cheaper side of things, I honestly didn’t know what to expect.

I use this brass in my 375 BAS. Never an issue!

9sjRVRP.jpg

Very uniform loads

zuzGhSF.jpg

I’ve never used the brass, was just asking for reviews. With the quality of brass being less than stellar on some of the cheaper side of things, I honestly didn’t know what to expect.
I wasn't being malicious with my reply...(obviously we can't tell the tone through text)
You were looking for something with terminal accuracy and not championship accuracy...(that was how I took your post, no?)
I was saying in my experience any company that is taking the time to actually offer up 340 Weatherby in it's catalog of brass will certainly be adequate in obtaining the terminal performance your friend seeks.

3 of us range members bought some to use in our 6BR Norma that we were shooting in 300 yd benchrest matches. One guy swore by it. One guy swore at it 9(said Norma brass better) and me I sold mine never having used it as I sold the gun and quit shooting benchrest. I thought it was good looking brass. Came in its own ammo box and made outside Pittsburg. My son has used it and it did fine for him. Dan.

Weatherby brass is not in the same league as Peterson. I use Peterson in my 6mm and 6.5 Creeds , and now in my 257 Wby. Expensive yes , worth it yes.
Is the .257 something they offer that's not on their website, or did you convert something else?

I'll let ya know how it is, just received100 pieces of 6mm CM for my custom build. Don't think I've seen or heard of 1 bad thing about it though. I weighed like 20 of the cases and they only varied .5g from the low to high. I'd say that's pretty good for that small sample size. I bet they're all easily within 1-1.5g spread.20230128_205524.jpg20230128_205349.jpg

Back