Post your Hunting Rigs - Mine - 2014 Dodge Ram 2500HD

2011 with the 3.5 Ecoboost. Gets a bit better mileage than the last truck. Also use it to travel on quad trips out of state.

Attachments

• IMG_0819 [800x600].jpg
    IMG_0819 [800x600].jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 2,748
Here's mine. She's an oldie but a goodie!! Poor thing might see 2500 miles on a highway a year. She loves dirt and is always in 4H.

98.5 2500 Quadcab 24V 5.9L Cummins 5-spd 4X4
179,000 and going strong. I think she still has the factory clutch in her which surprises me with all the heavy loads I've pulled with it.

She gets me a consistent 18 mpg going over a 6600 ft pass everyday that is all dirt. Last time I took her out on the highway she gave me 23 mpg on a full tank. Can't complain with it one bit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2,724
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 2,724
My truck is a 2008 GMC. I have owned her since new & she just touched 90,000KMs.
Just placed a set of Cooper SST Max on her for this fall.

Blessings,
Dan

Guy Miner":37e6tu1g said:
Wonder if something could be made up from plexiglass? Or if there's some kind of aftermarket windshield or cap for it?

Yeah, plexiglass could work. The OEM windshields are $350, Plastic roof is another $500. Man, those toys are expensive!

Agree. Anything with wheels on it seems to be expensive anymore...

I've seldom used an ATV while hunting. Seem to always freeze, or get wet. Or both. And miss my nice heated truck.

Guy

Guy Miner":hdxzkr84 said:
Agree. Anything with wheels on it seems to be expensive anymore...

I've seldom used an ATV while hunting. Seem to always freeze, or get wet. Or both. And miss my nice heated seats in the truck.

Guy

Guy,

I fixed it for us seasoned veterans. :mrgreen:
The bun warmers are nice!!!

JD338

Here are mine.

2014 that I ordered back in October. XL 6.2L, 4.10 rear end, FX4 package, plain jane no frills get the job done chrome don't get ya home :) truck. I installed Firestone Air spring helpers in the garage last month and can't wait to get her in the mountains of New Mexico. My chains from my 2008 fit perfectly as well. The best thing about her is she is paid off already.

And after we get to the mountains ( where allowed), my trusty 2000 Honda Foreman. Since 2002 she has been relegated to plow machine, but I can't complain. Other than changing the oil and two batteries, she lights up as soon as you hit the button. She has been all over a few mountain ranges in Colorado, the UP of Michigan, the farm country of mid Ohio, and here in Missouri. I will never say anything bad about the Honda Machines. Bullet proof.

Here is mine. 2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Laramie, 6 Speed manual, Cummins Turbo Diesel. It was my gift to myself when I was promoted to Gunnery Sergeant in 2006. I picked it up with a couple of miles on the odometer and now, just yesterday, it shows 172,000 and change. Been an excellent truck. It has made multiple runs to Oregon, Idaho and wherever else in the last 8 years.

Pulls my RV around very well too..

We also have a few ATV's for around the hunt club for work and such.

We do play on them here and there too..

I am not, sure how you guys drive them rigs upside down and sideways but being an old CJ5 V6 driver for 12 years I have done a lot of that myself but my new rig is not as good as the old CJ but with the tires I have on it she will spin till she sets down and then she will need a logging chain !

2006 Tundra in driveway and my 1993 Pick Up that is a monster with snow chains on it :)
Tundra has some new shoes and just do not get up too close to my bumper in a mud hole :lol: these tires will sling it till the cows come home or I am high center! :lol:

Scotty you guys need some outboards for the wheelers it looks like :shock:

Had to eventually install chains to get thru this but it dropped about 4 more inches of snow before my 93 Pick up flinched with LTX AT 2's on it! We had to eventually leave as this picture is around 12K foot at the south end of the Green Horn in the Wet mountains!

Man Terry. I tell you what I loved my little Dodge Dakota in the mountains. Smaller trucks are so much easier to get around with. Us suckers with 3/4 tons just slide around like greased glass.

Is that picture from NM?

I hope so Dr..

This NW Ohio boy needs me a little snow to go track on... rabbit, squirrel, deer, bear, sasquatch ( which may be Scotty snooping around)...

3/4 T Suburban

But for scouting and bear hunting, I use that thing on the back of the burb.

Yamaha TW 200.

She is not fast, but street legal, thus can go on any forest services road and roads between. Gallon of gas takes me about 70 miles. Fat tires are pretty stable.

Have the milk crate on the back and a scabbard attaches to the milk crate.

Takes about 5 minutes to roll off the back rack.

Got tired of brush scratches all along the suburban.

Bikes goes lots of places, not as stable as a quad, but street legal and about to cover lots of terrain when scouting.

photo_zps039d7394.jpg

Nice. Thought about one of those TW200's. Or the 225 - 250 class dual sport, as a scouting/hunting rig. Could be useful. I know a guy who has a similar approach to yours: he wheels a big, heavy-duty 3/4 ton truck with a flatbed, and has his 250 dual sport on back for actual hunting. He'll actually drop off the bike down low, drive to a higher spot on the mountain, park and walk. Hunting his way down a steep ridge or draw. Gets to the bottom, and there's the bike, waiting for him. Pretty slick actually. He gets a lot of mule deer that way.

Guy

The TW makes scouting fun. The wind blowing in your face etc. The last suburban I had, which was also black, got so many brush scratches in the paint from driving around the mountain roads here in western Oregon that I figure the TW eliminates that. Also can go a lot more places, not worry about getting stuck and have fun. Takes less than 5 minutes to roll the bike off the back. The rack is built for a 600 lb road bike, so the 225 lb TW is easy carrying.

When I was growing up in eastern Oregon, a good family friend use to take a motor bike mule deer hunting. We hunted big canyons with dry land wheat fields. He dropped many a mule deer and would hang them over the bike and ride them out of the big canyons. This was long before quads.

The problem with quads around here is since they are not "street legal, they are not usable on forest service roads.

Back