Price Gouging?

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
Took a trip out of town and stopped at a sporting good store to check out the powder supply. Was glad to see H4350 and IMR 4350 on the shelf but didn’t buy any as the price was $44.95. As far as I’m concerned that seems a bit high, even in this time of shortages and hoarding. Glad I bought ahead when the prices were reasonable.
Just curious what you are paying for powder in your area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Powder is still anywhere from $25-33 for all RL/IMR/Hodgon in my area. The only stuff that is like $35-45 is the magic pixie dust called RL26...

I'm paying sub $30 for a pound of powder.
I bought a 8 lb jug of Retumbo earlier this year for $198.

JD338

Most around here is 34-36.00 VV is 51.00 at one place but they are the highest in two counties. Dan.

You think powder is bad try loaded ammunition. I have a niece that I taught to shoot a few months back and she was buying ammunition for her 9MM. The first store she went to was 21.95 for 50 rounds of 9MM ball. She went up the line just a bit and checked with a second gunshop. 42.00 for the same 50 rounds. The sales person told her that's the going rate, take it or leave it, I can sell it in a minute and she could only purchase one box. She basically told him what to do with the ammo and left. Pistol ammo is ridiculous if you can find it. Glad I handload!!

driverdown In the past I have been in gun shops or stores that had that attitude. Never went back again and usually those places go out of business before long. I have been going into gun shops all across the eastern US for over 50 years. It seems there are only two kinds. Number one is the shop that people are friendly and act like they actually want your business even if they are over priced on everything. Number two the people are A** HOLES and treat customers like they could care less if they get your business. Your niece did what I would have done.

Ammo is bad. I took a new gun owner friend to our indoor range recently to shoot his new 9mm. It was really cooking outside and wanted him to be comfortable his first time out. I had about 150 rds and he had 50. At the counter checking in we both requested a box of range ammo to add to what we had. The young man plops a box of ZVS(Slovakian made imported by Century Arms) 124gr FMJ 50 count "Its all we have" he said. I didn't think to ask price and he rang it up, $24.95/box!!! Excuse me?? I got a little excited but calmed myself and told the young man that they should be ashamed of themselves! this is $12 AMMO!! I sent a very heated email to the GM of the joint about my displeasure and didn't even receive a response.

Places like that don’t get my business. I always buy more than I need (to my wife’s displeasure) to help get through times like this. Go to Grafs, Midway, Brownells, or Powder Valley and even with the hazmat charge it’s much less than what these crooked SOB’s are charging.

I saw an 8# jug of H4350 for $254 at a shop up the line a ways a few weeks ago. He also had a brick of LR primers but would only sell 200 per customer at $5/100. Not much else there except for the odd pistol bore brush or used & abused scopes & slings. There were a few overpriced used rifles along with one or two newish Savages & Rugers for top $$ as well. No reason to ever stop in there again until the going out of business sale.

Alderman makes an excellent point. I wish we could all afford to support more local businesses, but overhead is killing small business owners. I too use IMR 4350 in 30/06 and am happy with the results. The problem is the big dealers hold all the cards. I watched a small gun shop in Manhattan, Kansas go out of business. The owner is a good man and gunsmith. I would suggest buying from a local shop. Sometimes we have no choice. Some products can not be found in local shops.

So I just got back from a gun show and to say the least I am disgusted at the Ammunition price gouging that is taking place there. Standard ball range ammo was being marked up 250-300%, and people are lining up and clamoring to pay these vultures these exorbitant prices for RANGE AMMO, not even defensive loads. I saw a case of 9mm(1000 rds) marked for $700! I was only there for reloading supplies and still got gigged hard. I got a pound of 2400 at $35( a 50% mark up and a pound of W296 for 33( a 44% mark up). I did get a 100 count Speer TNT 30 cal HPs to try in my 300 BLK for $20 which is retail for those. I just can't abide this even though as a capitalistic society and the free market will go by Supply and Demand. It just doesn't sit well with me. I will continue to load my own and will not cow tow to people that are jacking up the prices.

I'm always thankful for the fact that I had mentors many long years ago that convinced me I should learn to cast bullets and have stuff on hand. I never had a problem during the several shortages that occurred since the year 2000. I do wonder at times when, or if the California style ecofreaks decide that the possession of anything lead be prohibited? No matter, I'll still shot my cast bullets until I pass on. I'm not giving up on what I consider a good thing.
Paul B.

1lb of H1000 went for $290 on GB, A few others hit $100. I think I’ll stock up on H1000 for the next emergency, 1000% return!

coop22250":2mck43ff said:
1lb of H1000 went for $290 on GB, A few others hit $100. I think I’ll stock up on H1000 for the next emergency, 1000% return!

I saw the same post! Ridiculous! I bought 8lbs for less than $200 a year ago

coop22250":2ep17tdw said:

So you hate price gougers, but you're going to be one if the opportunity comes around? Am I missing something here? I have enough H1000 to make up for a month of lost pay, but I'm not selling it. I'm pretty pissed that I can't get any small rifle primers....I have absolutely none, that's my fault.

desertcj":3kitt6og said:
coop22250":3kitt6og said:

So you hate price gougers, but you're going to be one if the opportunity comes around? Am I missing something here? I have enough H1000 to make up for a month of lost pay, but I'm not selling it. I'm pretty pissed that I can't get any small rifle primers....I have absolutely none, that's my fault.
I was being sarcastic.

I had to get rid of primers and powder when relocating through Canada, I had too many. I figured I can buy small rifle primers and Varget anywhere, I’ll sell these. Oops. Atleast I have all my hunting stuff, 308-300wsm-260-CM stuff. 223 I can wait on primers, no biggie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

desertcj":22ioogje said:
coop22250":22ioogje said:

Wow. Sounds kind of like a bitter and provoking reply....I sure didn’t find it tasteful. Thought it was plainly a pretty satirical post by coop. This forum has always been very civil, hate to see it go down the personal attack/provoking route.

Back