Projects for a cold winter

No new photos... just trying to remain calm. The reamers should be arriving any time. I think the Shot Show slowed things down a tad. My newest AR is getting nervous though, it is about to get a makeover if the reamers don't hurry up.

Nice work there. My daughter would love the pink one. I for one really like the green/tan one. Looking forward to a range report on it. BN

Still waiting on the reamers. Should be here in the next week or two...

In the meantime, my wife stretched the new 243 out this past weekend. She can shoot better than me, I swear. I loaded up a bunch of light fire-forming rounds for her to shoot while breaking the barrel in. 55 grain ballistic tips over 41.2 grains IMR 4166.

Here is her group at 100 yards after sighting it in

20160423_162120.jpg

And her is her smug smile while I was claiming all the credit for awesome gunsmithing and reloading skills

20160423_160713 crop.jpg

Mental note: you probably don't anger her when she has a gun in her hand :lol: That's some fine shooting there........

Yeah, she's getting the bug! Developing good shooting habits early on goes a long way to making for a pleasant experience.

At last, after a couple of delays from being too busy, planting, spraying, and a divorce (not mine)... the parts are at the smith's getting put together. Should be done this weekend. Then finishing stocks like a madman in the hopes of working up loads before hunting starts.

This thread reminds me, I need to get a bunch of triggers replaced. Probably going to swap out the scope on my lighter 7 WSM for something else... The Conquest that's on it has always given me fits. Need to get scopes mounted on two M70 short mags, a .270 and a heavier 7 WSM.

One step closer. Test fire this weekend. Then bead blast barrel and bed stock.

20161007_151345.jpg

Fingers crossed, might make it to Wyoming with me.

Very cool. I really like the 7-300 Win Mag... I'm running the MSM version in about a week.

Got to the range today! The plan was to test-fire, break the barrel in, and run a seating depth trial. Installed an Timney trigger and put the barreled action in an HS Precision stock after a nip-tuck here and there.

20161009_112747.jpg

Loaded a moderate load of Retumbo at various seating depths. Sighted in with 3 rounds, clocked 5 rounds for a starting point for quickload. Cleaned barrel (1 boretech eliminator patch and one dry patch) between each shot and had no sign of copper. Then ran seating depth trial. Cleaned barrel between each group.

Looks like the 180 VLD likes to be at the lands or 90 thousandths off. Nice groups for just picking a charge to start.

20161009_120705.jpg

20161009_120653.jpg

Found I had a little difficulty chambering a couple of rounds because the extractor hung up when trying to clip onto the rim of the cases. Used a buffing pad on the dremel tonight with a little rubbing compound to smooth it up. Chambered all 20 fired cases smooth as silk now.

Final barrel cleaning at home produced one patch with a faint blue tinge after swabbing with eliminator.

Taking the rifle down tonight to bed the stock, then I will bead blast the barrel because I can't stand shiny stainless barrels, and then the project will be done.

And the 25-06 is finally done. I am glad that I finally get to experience the real thing. No more 400fps shortfall on velocity!

20161125_181017.jpg

First load is about done. I tried IMR 7828 with the 110g Nosler AccuBond. I am seeing 3225fps with 60.5 grains of powder and sub 0.5 MOA. Have it seated to the lands, so as I back it off I expect to see the random flier tuck in and the groups to shrink more.

Now for the next project...

Handsome is as handsome does. Oh, yeah, the rifle is most attractive and the beauty is only enhanced by the accuracy. Congratulations.

The stock is an Apache laminated stock from Stockys. Fit almost perfect, bedded the action and opened the barrel channel up quite a bit for the heavy barrel.

Next project? 270 WSM in a super-light mountain rig? Haven't decided on one for my wife yet. 7-08 or 260?

Dwh7271":381gfxn0 said:
Thanks.
Either is a good choice. Although I'm kind of a 260 guy. AI that is. :grin:

I'm the same as this although I use and like the standard 260 Rem just fine. The 6.5 Creedmoor looks to be very popular these days too.

As for a 270 WSM for you, one with a fast twist would be super useful.......... nice looking stock on your 25-06 and the speed is much better than what you used to get.

I have an older 77 Ruger with those big ol' Ruger rings on it. I am planning to revise the ring system with another style of rings and bases, but so far the GSs have told me theres not much out there to replace them. We'll see,

Jim

Back