Purchased a new 375 Ruger Guide Gun.

300 H&H

Beginner
Aug 31, 2010
Picked up the 375 Ruger Guide Gun that I ordered from my local dealer. Originally I was going to purchase the 375 African but decide on the Guide Gun. Guide Gun balances nice and is quick to shoulder the gun. This will be my first 375 caliber and excited to use it hunting here in the Pacific NW. Planning on using it for elk and bear. some day make it to Alaska or Africa. I have the dies and a pound of Reloader 17. Now just need to get some cases and bullets. I bought one box of factory Hornady 300gr. Dangerous Game soft point ammo before I ordered the rifle so I could handle a loaded round. I am definitely going to be reloading for it as factory ammo is $60.00 a box.

It is an easy round to load for with lots of powders that will work. I really like Big Game and know of others that had great results with RL 15, H 4350 and RL 17. The Ruger guns are typically very accurate so you should find a good load quick.

300 H&H":1trecj2d said:
I bought one box of factory Hornady 300gr. Dangerous Game soft point ammo before I ordered the rifle so I could handle a loaded round. I am definitely going to be reloading for it as factory ammo is $60.00 a box.

Damn, that's commitment!

I love my 375R African. It shoots very well with the 260 AB.

H100V gets me 2740 with sub .5 MOA groups.
BigGame get me 2840 with MOA groups,
And RL-17 is on the list to play with. I used it with some 270 TSX and it did fairly well, but I have not got a chance to play with it under the 260 AB.
IMR 4895, also did very well with the 260 AB.

RL-15, and H380 did not do to well in my rifle, but I know a lot of guys are using RL-15.

Good luck.

I worked up loads for a 375 Ruger a couple of years back, using 270 grain TSX and IMR4007SSC. I was quite impressed both with velocity and accuracy. Fine cartridge in my estimate.

BK":1ayckybl said:
300 H&H":1ayckybl said:
I bought one box of factory Hornady 300gr. Dangerous Game soft point ammo before I ordered the rifle so I could handle a loaded round. I am definitely going to be reloading for it as factory ammo is $60.00 a box.

Damn, that's commitment!
When I bought the dies then I was commented as I have a cartridge collection that I would of put the loaded ammo in.

Thanks for all the information. Like I mentioned earlier this is my first 375 caliber. Far as recoil is concerned, what does it equal to? This gun has a break on it. I had a 338win mag and it was Mag-Na- Ported with the 4 ports and didn't have a problem. A co-worker has a 338 Ultra mag that is non-ported or break and I shot of the bench. Did not like it! Rattled my teeth and gave me a headache the rest of the day.

It's a heavy shove on my unbraked SS/Laminate, with the brake it will be loud but should be very shootable. I would imagine a 338 RUM would feel more intense than a 375 Ruger since it is burning a lot more powder. The stock on mine doesn't fit me well so the felt recoil is worse than my friends Hogue stocked Alaskans which by the way are very comfortable.

Back