Question for you Model 70 nuts...

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
And I mean that in a very friendly way, particularly since I have a couple of pretty decent Model 70's myself...

I was looking at a pair of .30-06's today. New manufacture. A Featherweight, and the same Super Grade I've been all worked up about for a couple of months at the local Sportsman's Warehouse. Both are priced reasonably, and the Super Grade is just perfect. The Featherweight is nothing to sneeze at either, and may well be a better (handier, lighter) general purpose hunting rifle.

What about that "blue" finish? It's AMAZING. So bright. Looks like black chrome or something... So very different from my usual 700 CDL's, and brighter than any other blue job on any of my rifles. Or shotguns. Or handguns.

How's that work out in the field? Okay? I swear, I felt like taking a bead-blaster to the metal of both those rifles and working towards a nice matte black finish...

Please educate me. Is that just Winchester's "blue" now? Is it some kind of fancy metal finish, different from traditional blue? It's pretty incredible, like a black mirror.

Thanks for any input. Guy

I believe it's a traditional blue.
It's pretty amazing. Makes me think of the Python I wish I had.

Vince

The Super Grades are highly polished...too polished for my taste...I prefer a dull blue, not so flashy...my wife's Featherweight Deluxe isn't polished like that, its about right...nice deep blue, but not shiny....neither was my 30-06.

I believe that they electropolish the barrel and other small parts of the Model 70's, made by Browning prior to blueing. Browning has used a similar finish on their various centerfire rifles and pistols since the High Power came out in 1950. Even the 1910 model .380 auto pistols have this same finish and many of them still look like new if they have not been abused. The only issue that I have ever had with a Browning finish was rusting on a 1968 salt cured wood stock on a High Power .338 WM. Some Browning's, mostly the Japanese models, will turn Purple after several years but not the Belgium, Portugal or US made guns. The high polish finish is a little more frangible than the older, matte finish of USRAC products. However if you take care of it, they should be nice for years to come. They are salt blued by the traditional method and are pretty resilient.

Hope this answers you questions?

Guy Miner":3hk4nnk3 said:
How's that work out in the field? Okay? I swear, I felt like taking a bead-blaster to the metal of both those rifles and working towards a nice matte black finish...

Please educate me. Is that just Winchester's "blue" now? Is it some kind of fancy metal finish, different from traditional blue? It's pretty incredible, like a black mirror.

Thanks for any input. Guy

I have several of the newer Featherweights (300 WSM, 30-06, 270 WSM and 7X57). You are correct that they are most handsome. The finish is attractive. I haven't noticed it causing undue heart palpations in any game (though numerous head of game have surrendered to the invitations issued by these rifles), and the finish holds up well under normal use. The finish is the factory blue. I like it.

I once had a Pre 64 Model 70, in 270 Winchester. What I remember most about it was it's weight. The finish was nothing special. I believe that the later ones were finished much better. Many here have seen the finish on my post 64, and even though it has been blued once and Matt Finished a second time, its certainly nothing to lust over. The later ones were nicer.

I have an FN-made SuperGrade with such a blued finish. I hunt with it with no concerns whatsoever about game seeing the rifle. And since it's my 264WM, they'd have to spot it from pretty far off to be safe! :twisted:

Beautiful rifles no doubt. Quite an amazing metal finish. Thanks for the info guys.

Regards, Guy

Guy,
It has been my experience that high polish blue finishes such as Winchester and Kimber hold up really well. They actually resist rust better than the matte finishes(less surface for moisture to adhere to?). I love high polish blue and pretty furniture - not always the best choice for a hard using rifle but if you keep them waxed they hold up surprisingly well.
Scott

I've got a new featherweight on the way right now. Big brown should deliver it tomorrow. A guy (pun intended) can't have enough Winchester Model 70s.

Bruce Mc":2tln6af5 said:
I've got a new featherweight on the way right now. Big brown should deliver it tomorrow. A guy (pun intended) can't have enough Winchester Model 70s.

Man, Bruce, that is the WORD right there!

I had a newer 300WSM Featherweight, blueing was very nice on it, my buddy has a 300 Win Mag in a Super Grade and while it is very nicely finished, I wouldn't worry about the blueing scaring game in the field. My rifles tend to get enough lumps, bumps and scratches to dull them over time anyhow... :grin:

muleman":11bebv6v said:
Guy,
It has been my experience that high polish blue finishes such as Winchester and Kimber hold up really well. They actually resist rust better than the matte finishes(less surface for moisture to adhere to?). I love high polish blue and pretty furniture - not always the best choice for a hard using rifle but if you keep them waxed they hold up surprisingly well.
Scott

This has been my experience also, looking forward to the field report after you bring it home.........
Best,

Yeah, that's probably not going to happen. But I tell you - there is a certain elegant simplicity to the idea of only two hunting rifles, both Model 70's:

.30-06 for everything
.375 for everything bigger

And a varmint rifle of course. I've already got the .375 Model 70. Supergrade or Featherweight would compliment it nicely.

Guy

Sounded like the bluing was maybe the deal maker/breaker 8)
It would be a slick trio.

Yeah a 30-06 or 7 mag in a Model 70 would be a nice addition Guy. All the same firing controls, and you could probably tune the triggers to be just about the same as well.

Good luck following thru though! That's the hard part.

My featherweight arrived this morning. Can't wait to get it out to the range. Haven't yet decided what glass to put on it. Here's a pic.

SANY0201.JPG

Very handsome, Bruce. The character of the wood is exceptional. Excellent acquisition for you.

Bruce Mc":37wm4j87 said:
My featherweight arrived this morning. Can't wait to get it out to the range. Haven't yet decided what glass to put on it. Here's a pic.

SANY0201.JPG

I agree--fantastic wood on that rifle!

Bruce Mc":yv0di1uh said:

SANY0201.JPG
Very nice.
Nothing pedestrian about that wood.

Back