QuickLoad request - 300 Savage

Dr. Vette

Handloader
Apr 16, 2012
OK, I set up some initial loads and have Dad's rifle sighted in at 100 yards. I also have my initial charge weight loads set up. However, I'm hoping for some QL data to make sure I don't over do it.

300 Savage
Super-X brass shot in this rifle on 12/14/15, water capacity is 53.8 grains averaged over 5 empty but still primed cases.
Trim is 1.861+/-.002
Bullet is Speer 150 grain Hot-Cor spire point, item #2023.
COAL is 2.600 inches
Primer is (currently) WLR.
Powder is LeveRevolution.

Yeah, I know, how did I come up with that, right?

http://ataleoftwothirties.com/?p=1026

I have charges set up at 42.0/42.3/42.7/43.0/43.3/43.7 grains.

I was going to use IMR-4895 but if I can gain 150fps with the lower pressure of LVR then I'm all in. I have used LVR extensively in my .35 Rem with a 220 Speer to date.

Any thoughts?

LVR is not included in the data set for QL at this present time. Ergo, projections are not possible.

DrMike":2r5inw9x said:
LVR is not included in the data set for QL at this present time. Ergo, projections are not possible.
Interesting.

Thanks for trying, Mike. I will post results after Wednesday.

Patrick

The updates should be released within the next few weeks. We'll see if some of the newer powders are included. I wonder, in light of some of my conversations with ballisticians at Hodgdon, if LeveRevolution and SuperFormance will be included in any case.

Evidence shown on Marlin Owners suggests that LVR is generally a low(er) pressure powder. As one tester says, you can't fit enough of it in a 35 Remington case to cause any harm or blow yourself up. The link above suggests that as well.

I can tell you that even at 43.7gr of LVR there is still room inside a 300 Savage case. Not a lot, but it's not full or compressed. I use 42.3gr in a theoretically 51gr case 35 Rem, so at this 43.7gr I haven't reached the same percentage level of fill in the 300 Savage.

I would really like to see load data and pressure measurement from the factory in 300 Savage. I have a 30x47 HBR which is a slightly shortened 300 Savage case in a Ruger 77 action bull barrel rifle that is just down right accurate. I have been using 42 grs IMR4895 which fills the case with 125 through 155 gr bullets. It does 2850 fps with 125s and 2650 with the 155s.

I'd be very interested as well. Can't wait to see how you make out with it. Still have to do a little load work with my grandpas 300..

SJB358":3blwb3ix said:
I'd be very interested as well. Can't wait to see how you make out with it. Still have to do a little load work with my grandpas 300..

The down side is that it is 80% chance of rain tomorrow with 30mph winds. I am now planning on moving to the indoor range, but it means I probably will not have chronograph data for this session. I don't want to use the Magnetospeed for grouping work. I might see about making 1 extra round of each charge for speed data.

Let me know how this experiment goes friend.

I have an old 99 EG in .300 Savage that I love to shoot and would love to know of a equal to or greater than velocity with lower pressure...if that turns out!

FJ4E

We went shooting today. Results are in photos below.

If you look at the picture showing the group centers it looks like there is a sweet spot in the 42.3 to 43.7 range. I have to assume that the low hit at 42.3 is real at this point. It doesn't change the group center much on a left/right basis, just moves it down.

Given this I am tempted to try 42.5 and 42.7 grains, or 42.7 grains at differing COALs. My COAL of 2.600 is longer than most manuals list other than Nosler, but there is still a LOT of room in the magazine. I will hit the lands long before I hit the end of the magazine.

The 42.7gr group is 1.125 inches, for those who wondered.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 300 Savage 43.X.jpg
    300 Savage 43.X.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,490
  • 300 Savage 42.X.jpg
    300 Savage 42.X.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,490
  • 300 Savage groups 3.jpg
    300 Savage groups 3.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,490
SJB358":1w655n1k said:
Man, I'd love to know the speeds of them....
Next time. I didn't have any spare straight cases to use for MagnetoSpeed use. I am hoping to load some up to shoot tomorrow evening, and I'll make a 4th round of some to check speeds.

The indoor range doesn't allow chronographs on a stand, unfortunately.

Chargemaster 1500 went on the fritz Wednseday, so I did not have time to load up and go shooting last evening. Thanks to an RCBS tech I have it up and running a bit better, so we will see how it goes tonight when I try again.

Quick follow up as I'm at work and can't do anything with photos from here -

42.7 grains was again the best load on repeat testing. I tried 42.5 as well as went higher to 44.0. The 42.7 put 5 shots at about 1.6 inches, though shots 2-5 were in a tiny group. I'm not sure if I pulled the first one or if it is representative.
At 44.0 there is a LOT more recoil than at 42.7, and the bolt is a bit stiff but primer looks OK. Accuracy at 100 yards was horrid at 4-5 inches. As a result I see no need to go this high again or worry what speed it might be.

Chrono battery didn't work at first as it sat in the car at 28 degrees. I later chrono'ed the 42.7 load at 2550 x2 loads (2556, 2554), so it is consistent. That is similar to factory loads, though a bit less than I hoped. Not sure if it was the 28 degree weather working against me on Saturday, and I don't know how temperature sensitive LVR might be.

Shortening COAL from 2.600 to 2.570 and 2.545 made the accuracy worse. I did not try to go longer.

I tried a primer swap test, but unfortunately used the wrong brand of brass so that test was useless. I'll rerun that one in the future if time permits.

In the end 42.7gr of LVR gives a very consistent 2550 fps with acceptable accuracy in a non-bedded, non-floated rifle. Given that LVR is a relatively low pressure powder the brass should have a long life. Now if I can easily convert a 308 Lee collet die to a 300 Savage Lee collet die I'll be all set.

I get about 2650 outta AA2520 and the 150 BT. Doesn't seem to be hard on brass or the rifle. Accuracy is pretty good considering I am running peep sights as well. I know it doesn't pertain exactly to your rifle but it something else to look at.

My 300 Savage works much better with Spitzers than flat points, or I would run the 170 PT out of it.. Those seem like they would be the cats pajamas in the 300 Savage at typical ranges.

I've got other powder I can try, but I was hoping to get something for nothing, so to speak, by using the LVR. Obviously that didn't happen. The guy who wrote the original article linked above regarding the 300 Savage and LVR did a fair amount better.

I do wonder if the temp worked against me.

Back