Reloading Press Service Question

nosler06

Handloader
Nov 13, 2012
I just purchased a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme from a buddy and was going to do a full service like clean and lube. I am curious what everyone is using for a lubricant on the main ram? Just wondering if people just use it dry or some sort of synthetic lubricant? What’s the best product to put on it so that it won’t gum up and become sticky? I have used a synthetic bike lubricant on an old press that I had but not sure if that would be the best with the Rock Chucker. Cheers and thanks for any info.

As others have stated a light oil will be fine. Make sure to clean around the ram where it rides in the base as it will build up over time and collect residue. A swipe with a cutip will take care of it. Dan.

I use a liquid graphite product called 'Dri Slide' - liquid to apply but dries quickly. Doesn't attract anything (It's not sticky) & works well
Same………only difference is I use Dry Moly. Couple drops of Rem Oil or Hoppes oil works fine too. All the rams are harder alloy than the frame. The ram won’t be what wears. It will be the frame or linkage. It takes a LOT of hard use to wear out a press. Also if you did wear a press out from use, the manufacturer would probably replace it free of charge.

Back