Retiring the 7mm Magnum

My suggestion when it comes to scopes and binos, make sure you look through them at dusk and at distance. Not everybody's eyes are the same. Just make sure the glass matches your eyes. (from Personal experience).

Paul,
Hopefully your Dr. gives you a green light for shooting. Worst case you could have a brake installed, it would really tame the recoil for you.

JD338
I have a Winchester M70 Stainless classic .338 Win. Mag. with a brake. No help, It still jolts hell out of me.'Paul B.

I was leaning on either the ATACR 7-35 or the Votex Razor, I never used a Vortex scope before, specs and a video below.

What do you suggest?
Mark , I've kicked these two scopes around a little before, trying to decide between them . the difference in magnification is negligible . the Nightforce has 100 MOA elevation , the vortex has 120 MOA . I've read the vortex turrets are not as crisp ( clicky ) as would be preferred . the vortex only comes in front focal , the nightforce comes in both . the nightforce comes in black and brown , the vortex only brown . both have lifetime warranties . I like nightforce glass quality . I have a pair of vortex razor bino's and I think the glass is really good in them too . comparing price on front focal scopes , the nightforce cost is about $700 more . it seems like there is always an open box store display nightforce available at the $3000 price point . this is a tough decision for me . I know nightforce quality . I know vortex had some problems with their cheaper line of scopes . I don't know of anyone that has this top of the line vortex . I like the extra 20 MOA of elevation in the vortex . if the nightforce had 120 MOA or more , I probably would not consider the vortex . the color doesn't matter to me , it might if or when I tried to sell it though . it's a very hard choice for me .

I was also comparing the Valdada G2 scope , with the other two scopes . I got to play with a valdada , I don't "THINK" the glass is equal to nightforce . to be fair , I did not make any adjustments to the scope , other than the side focus .

The Vortex Razor HD line is a very good Scope. I shoot with a good friend of mine that has one on his 338 Lapua and I've shot and looked through it a couple different times. I wouldn't have any issues running it if I had to that's for sure.

It's just at that price point, I'd still rather have the NF just because you know you're never going to have an issue with it. When you start talking about $3K scopes, Vortex just isn't high on my list personally. There are several others I would rather have at that point.

Tucson, AZ
Paul B.

I know of several people who started shooting specialty pistols because of various health issues. Sometimes it’s because one of their eyes, a shoulder or recent open heart surgery, etc..
It may not be for you, but you don’t have to be limited in your hunting, if you just learn a slightly different skill set when hunting

I know of several people who started shooting specialty pistols because of various health issues. Sometimes it’s because one of their eyes, a shoulder or recent open heart surgery, etc..
It may not be for you, but you don’t have to be limited in your hunting, if you just learn a slightly different skill set when hunting
I do have a Contender 14" in 30-30 but just don't use it. I took a couple of deer with a Ruger Super Blackhawk during the frst two years that it was legal in Nevada but never followed through with it. Basically my outdoor handgun usage has been protection against predators, both two and four legged varieties.
Paul B.

I do have a Contender 14" in 30-30 but just don't use it. I took a couple of deer with a Ruger Super Blackhawk during the frst two years that it was legal in Nevada but never followed through with it. Basically my outdoor handgun usage has been protection against predators, both two and four legged varieties.
Paul B.
I was thinking more along the lines of a rear grip or center-grip Bolt Action Specialty Pistol. Not nearly as finicky as a break-open action

Back