ruger frontier rib

reloader7mm

Beginner
Feb 17, 2009
Does anyone have experience with the Ruger Frontier? It has the 1/4 rib which is kind of ugly. I was wondering if it can be removed? The gun is on it's way so i don't have it to look at. Just getting prepared for when it shows up.

reloader7mm":1rs7lxm2 said:
Does anyone have experience with the Ruger Frontier? It has the 1/4 rib which is kind of ugly. I was wondering if it can be removed? The gun is on it's way so i don't have it to look at. Just getting prepared for when it shows up.
....................Have owned one for about 4 1/2 years.

1/4 rib? Are you referring to the scout mount base which is on the barrel forward of the action which all the Frontiers have?

Yes that is the one. Can it be removed? Other than that i looks like a compact which is what i was trying to buy in the first place.

I rather like "scout type" rifles...suggest you give it a try before you remove it. Looks a little unconvenvtional but works well in the field.

My biggest issue is that it is for my 10 year old son. i don't know how it will work with this being his first gun.

reloader7mm":2114r9yx said:
Yes that is the one. Can it be removed? Other than that i looks like a compact which is what i was trying to buy in the first place.
..............I thought that was what you were referring to.

Yes, it can be removed. There four screws plus 2 dowel metal pins which secure the scout base to the barrel. At first, I did remove my base because the very first scope I bought for it was a 3-9x40 Elite 4200.

The 40mm objective bell (48mm OD), was too large to use with low Ruger rings as it was hitting the scout base. Installed higher Ruger rings, but found that I didn`t care for my cheek positioning too well (too high). It also made the rifle`s aesthetics look a little off for being a compact rifle because the scope sat too high. I re-installed the scout base then went back to using the low rings and have since sold the Elite 4200. It wears a 2.5-10x32 Sightron S2 mounted in the conventional position. Looks "MUCH" better than the Elite 4200 did as it was simply too large a scope for the Frontier.

I strongly urge that you "DO NOT" remove the scout base. Here`s why.

If you remove it, you`ll find 2 deep dowel holes and 4 screw holes on the top of the barrel. After mounting any scope of your choice, those holes will still show. Imo, their exposure looks even worse as opposed to just leaving the scout base on. If you insist on removing it, then a smith should fill the holes up to make it look much better.

Another reason to leave the scout base on, is because doing so gives the Frontier more optics options. Besides using a normal conventional scope, you can use an EER scout scope, a red dot or a tactical red dot scope. That`s the only factory rifle that I`m aware of which offers more than one optic option. Aside from the Sightron, I also use a scout scope. And later I`ll probably buy a red dot too. No rifle imo can beat the Frontier`s optic versatility. That is one of the main reasons I bought mine.

Still another reason to leave the base on is because that extra weight on the barrel helps stabilize the muzzle better. One of the main gripes about compact rifles with shorter barrels, is that the front end muzzle moves around too much or is more difficult to stabilize. The scout base helps to control that by giving some more added weight forward of the action. And when you add on a scout scope or a red dot, it stabilizes the muzzle even better.

Though it may be a little on the ugly side, leaving the scout base on imo, has far more benefit and trumps by a wide margin the issue of looks or appearance.

First gun for a youngster? Consider one of the high quality "red dot" type sights on that mount/rifle.

Extremely easy to use, even for a new shooter who may not have perfected their shooting positions. No eye-relief problems, nothing is over-magnified, just put the red dot on the target/game and squeeze.

I'd leave the rifle the way it's built and seriously consider a red-dot sight or a scout-type scope for the young man.

Regards, Guy

I'd strongly consider a scout type EER scope for a youngster simply because the eye-relief issues aren't nearly as critical. One can also shoot (generally) with both eyes open. You can also mount a small fixed power (ie. 4x, 2.5x) and not worry about mounting clearance on the front mount and still get some non critical eye relief from a "conventional" scope.

I haven't much experience with red dots but the concept is the same.

Thanks for the imput guys. I didn't consider a scout scope since i have never used one myself. I will look into a scout scope and try it and if he doesn't get use to it then i will just have to buy another scope.

reloader7mm":2ga2yu5v said:
Thanks for the imput guys. I didn't consider a scout scope since i have never used one myself. I will look into a scout scope and try it and if he doesn't get use to it then i will just have to buy another scope.
.................reloader7mm..........I see that on your other thread in the reloading section that your son`s Frontier is chambered in the 7/08. That`s a great round.

My Ruger Frontier is exactly the same as yours, but with one LITTLE exception. It`s a 300 WSM. That thing is LOTS a fun.

I`m 6'3" and 235 lbs. Despite its smaller size in LOP and OAL, your son shouldn`t really outgrow this rifle. Depending on clothing thickness when hunting, I simply add on my Limbsaver slip on recoil pad which increases the total LOP to 13.5", or I leave it off keeping the LOP at 12.5" as needed for best comfort and handling. In just a few seconds I can increase the LOP by an inch.

Assuming you go the conventional scope route, don`t make the same mistake I did and put a large and heavier 40mm obj scope on it. A 36mm obj scope is ok, but a scope with a 32mm obj or smaller looks better on this rifle. And besides you want to keep it lighter anyway.

Your son will enjoy the Frontier....Have fun.

reloader7mm...................In case you haven`t read this piece, here`s a little treat for ya.

www.shootingtimes.com/2005/06/24/ruger- ... -frontier/

If that link doesn`t work, then just go to;

shootingtimes.com.......Click onto,,,,"Long Guns",,,,,and then speed scroll all the way down.

The Frontier in that article is exactly like yours chambered in the 7/08. A good read.

BK":25apcs4v said:
Boy, if ever there was a rifle crying for one of these: http://swfa.com/Leupold-3x20-FX-II-Rifl ... 50855.aspx

or one of these:http://swfa.com/Leupold-25x20-FX-II-Ultralight-Riflescope-P3264.aspx

it's that one!
..........The 4x FX2, the 1-4x20 VX2 and the 2-7x33 VX2 would also make an excellent choices on a 7/08 Frontier. For deer and assuming the user does their part, that little rifle even with its 16.5" barrel will have no problems @ 300-400 yards.

That new 3x Leupold and the 1-4x20 would help keep that rifle lighter for sure.

Back