Scope choice

WPH

Beginner
Sep 4, 2006
I am purchasing a new scope for my 300 mag, which I would like to be 500 yard capable. Is a 3x9 or a scope to 10 power sufficient? Should I have parallex adjustment even at 9 or 10 power at that range? I am not looking to count ticks, but I do want to make an accurate shot and have a decent view of the target. Power costs money and I can buy a better scope with less power.

WPH,

Look at the Leupold VXIII 2.5x8 and 3.5x10 40mm scopes.
Plenty of eye releif, bright and both offer enough magnification
for 500 yd shooting. :wink:

JD338

Heck, for 500yds you could use something like the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 which can be had for under $400 from sources online. It's just about the brightest, clearest scope under $800, in my experience. If I had the coin, I'd replace all my 3-9's with the Conquest.

If you really want a scope to shoot 500 yards with your 300 magnum I would recommend you consider the Leupold 4.5 X14 X40 LR scope with the Boone and Crockett reticle.

It is a 30mm scope with great optics. It has a side focus which is really handy.

The Boone and Crockett reticle really works. My dad has killed antelope two years in a row at over 400 yards using this scope.

The 4.5 power on the low end is low enough that I have shot several head of game ranging from wild hogs to black bears to mule deer on a dead run with it. The 14 power is nice when the ranges become long.

I just cannot recommend it enough, I now own five of the darned things.

I have a Leupold VXIII 3.5-10X40 with the B&C reticle, it will certainly do what you are asking. Also this year I used a Kahles KX 3.5-10X50 for antelope. This scope also has Kahles' 4D reticle. It came with range tables for standard cartridges, and you can give their customer support your cartridge details and they will tell you the range values of the additional aiming points.

In my opinion Kahles provides the most scope for the buck today.

jim

The VX III is more than I want to spend but I might anyway.

I have a Nikon Monarch 5.5-16.5 and a new Buckmaster 6-18. I have made several shots at 500 -700 yards with my monarch and the adjustment is pretty good. Lots of light and clear. I would reccomend nothing cheaper than the buckmaster if you want a reliable scope. In truth, I would steer you towards a 2.5-10 to a 4.5-14 Monarch because any higher magnification is going to hurt you when making close up shots, and the high recoil is hard on cheap scopes.

The BDC is nice, but I prefer to click it. A monarch can be had for the mid 300's and a buckmaster can be had for the mid 200's. This site seems to be competitive priced http://www.theopticzone.com/

I ordered a scope off of Ebay, but I am still leary of this - lots of junk out there.

The Nikon buckmasters scopes are hard to beat for the price. I have two 3x9s and two 4.5x14s and will buy another one this spring.

I have a Sako Mod 2700 Finnsport in 300 mag with a Leupold Vari X ll in 3x9x40 with a CPC reticle that I've used to kill a Muley at over 600 yards using my handloaded ammo:180gr Sierra Gameking,72gr of IMR 4831 Rem or Win Brass & Rem LR Mag primer.All of my rifles have 3x9x40 scopes which were recommended by my gunsmith & nothing has changed , I don't use my scopes to spot game I use my Binocs.

Back