Scope reticle question

300 H&H

Beginner
Aug 31, 2010
Had the Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36mm with the Boone & Crockett reticle on the 375 Ruger Guide Gun. Got to thinking the Boone & Crockett reticle was not useful for me on the 375 Ruger as max shooting distance would be 300yds max. More likely within 100yds. I traded same scope for the standard duplex. My question is do you like standard duplex or heavy duplex for low light and shooting within 300yds? Going to hunt with the duplex this year and decide whether to send back to Leupold to have heavy duplex installed. Thought I would ask for your opinions

I have never felt that I needed the "heavy", I think good glass is the key not the thickness of the reticle. I wonder how much area the heavy would cover at longer ranges. I am probably not much help, but I have 7 Variable power scopes all with the duplex.
I don't have "any" scopes with built in lines. Just the reticle.

Bill (Elkman) has given you good advice. A duplex reticle works just fine; glass quality is the key.

On standard scopes I tend to agree that duplex is fine but a really good compromise is the German #4. It has all the merits of both standard duplex and heavy duplex. The heavier posts are easy to quickly pick up even in low light and make for a good snap shooting reticle.

On forward mounted "scout" scopes a heavy duplex or even german #1 post is better. Especially in heavy cover as the fine duplex tends to blend in with brush at low light. I think this has to do with The scout scopes being less efficient at gathering light.

9e4ed81d11f09e0964e1af45db981069.jpg

I prefer reticles that don't cover more than .25 MOA....I find that plenty thick enough, even for low light.

Even a reticle 1 Moa thick would easily work out to 300 yards for a hunting reticle. Needle thin reticle a excellent at long range but leave something to be desired in thick, close quarters like dark timber or low light alders.

That 375 ruger was made for rough work on big critters. A good low power variable or fixed scope in a fast acquisition reticle would be ideal.

I had a leupy 1.5-5 vxIII LIGHTED #4 german reticle on my 458 lott. I couldn't think of a better choice for his 375 ruger. Plenty precise for 300-400 yards and still quick up close for serious work

80369a5de751deebc1047cc29d7f09bf.jpg

b95540129ce53cb8a8337696e436933a.jpg

Yeah...I overlooked the 300 yard limit he set forth...for that, .5 MOA would work, for me...I like the thinner reticles though.

Thanks for your opinions! So far the duplex is working better then the Boone & Crockett that I had on the gun. At least my group is better. I think then Boone & Crockett was too detracting or busy for me. Plus I am good with the duplex out to the 300yd. By holding high on the back on a animal. Planning on using it for elk and bear this year. May even carry it 1 day for deer even though it is over kill.

I like the duplex's as well, I think I have 3 atleast and also like the wide duplex and think I might go with that one on a larger caliber rifle myself? Would be easier to get on target a tad faster maybe? Those German reticles are nice as well ! That deer will not care if it was a 375 or a 243 probably will not complain a lot either!

I use (2) #4 German reticle scopes but only on rifles that I do not use for long range or precision shooting. All of my other scopes have SFP duplex or BDC type reticles for maximum accuracy at various ranges.

My 3.5-10x44 Conquest will not deliver as small a group at 100 yards as my finer centerpoint reticles. That is unless you sight using only a 1/4 field quadrant of reticle for finer aiming points.

I have used the Leupold standard Duplex for nearly 40 years and I don't really like it for low light. Our woods down here stay leafed out long into the season and the pines are always pretty dark places to hunt and I've found that real late, even though I can see the animal, the crosshairs will virtually dissappear. But if hunting in the open, say a powerline or field, then they remain visible and useful almost as long as your eyes can see an animal to aim at.
So when scope shopping for my .308 Tikka I looked through every brand I could get my hands on. I ended getting a Conquest 3X9 as it has thicker, darker reticles. And with the good glass that scope has been perfect for the dark woods.
I am scope shopping again and I like that #4 reticle. If I was buying a Leupold for the dark woods it would be a lower powered variable with the Heavy duplex. Better yet would be a VXR with the lighted aiming point.

I'm in the camp of Heavy Duplex for dark timber / brush 300yds and less. I have used both and as my eyes are getting older it makes getting on target quicker for me when it's going to be all over in a couple of seconds.
I agree 100% that longer range and paper work this is not the best choice.

The VX 3 2.5-8x36mm is one of my favorite scopes. The standard Duplex reticle has served me well for almost 30 years, even in the dark cedar swamps I hunt.

JD338

I just had Leupold put a Post and Duplex in an older 3.5x10. So far I am really digging it and the heavier reticle doesn't bother me a bit. Huge fan of the #4 reticles as well. I really like the P&D on the Leupold though. Haven't shot it yet, but I don't suspect I'll have much trouble either. People hate thicker lines for target work, but hunting, I don't find them to be a problem at all.

For targets I just adjust the size of my target to fit.

http://www.leupold.com/reticles/post-duplex/

Back