Scope ring lapping

300 H&H

Beginner
Aug 31, 2010
Do you all lap your scope rings? I have never done it. Question is do you re-blue the inside of the scope rings if you lap them to keep from corrosion? Reason why I ask is I got the Alaskan quick detach rings for the 375 Ruger Guide Gun and wondering if I should lap them? The rings are supplied with friction paper that goes inside of rings.

I lap mine. It's amazing to see how far off they are from one another, even if they are a good quality, well known brand.

I lap all rings but Talleys. Haven't found any of my Talleys needing it yet.

I don't lap to make them shoot better, though in extreme cases of misalignment it can help (due to not torquing the scope tube and fouling up the optics). I lap rings to do two things. First, to align the scope and rings with the most bearing surface, so I can get a firm grip on the scope by the rings. Second, to lessen or eliminate ring marks on my scope tubes. There is a third benefit, related to the accuracy issue, that only comes into play in severe misalignment situations. If a scope is tightly clamped in severely misaligned rings, it can cause the internal adjustments (windage, elevation, and zoom) to bind or operate improperly. Lapping the rings into alignment can alleviate this torquing pressure and allow the scope to fully adjust in both elevation and windage, and smoothly adjust from minimum to maximum zoom.

Most of the time, lapping rings just enhances grip and minimizes ring marks. Sometimes it helps more than that.

After lapping them do you re-blue the inside of the rings or install a sealer of some kind to prevent corrosion and rust?

I just put a light coat of very thin oil and then wipe dry with an absorbent cloth.

Since I have started using TPS rings, they guarantee roundness and TIR, so I have not found that I need to lap the rings.

Thanks for the information. Talked with Mark at Alaskan Arms LTD. Where I bought their QD rings from. He said it wouldn't hurt to lap them. He said Ruger's are casted instead of machined on their actions. He said he manufactures his rings within 0.002" with the CNC machine. He said to use the Casseys Birchwood blue pin marker after lapping then use the friction paper supplied with their rings. I am going to exchange med. ring height to lows to get Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36mm scope lower to action to have a good cheek weld on comb of stock on the 375 Ruger. I will keep you all updated on how this system works out. Thanks again for your opinions.

Back