Scratch another off the bucket list

HTDUCK

Handloader
Apr 18, 2009
Wanted a Springfield M1A or some variant of an M14 since I shot one in the Army 35 years ago.
Stumbled on one I couldn't pass up.
Jan 2012 production M1A Loaded model.
Nat'l Match sights, barrel and trigger group from the factory.
Pretty figure in the stock too.
Fella I got it from said he shot 50 rounds through it and stuck it in safe, hasn't been shot since.

The wife didn't even give me any grief either :mrgreen:
She did ask if there were anymore on the list though and of course I said " Yes " :lol:

Excellent acquisition, Howard! You're a wise man to admit up front, and especially when you received no withering cross-examination, that there were more on the bucket list without specifying how many were on the list.

Really sweet.
I'm loving the wood on that one.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howard that is a very good looking rifle (y) and I am looking forward to your range report & photos.

Blessings,
Dan

Bruce Mc":eb5apnoh said:
That rifle is all business.

Looking forward to some range time with it, as soon as I get one deficiency corrected.
The rear sight aperature ( the peep ) moves laterally in the elevator housing.
Checked my Garand and it locks up like a bank vault.
When I called Springfield that told me it was normal.
Somehow having the rear sight aperature moving side to side just doesn't sound conducive to accuracy.

I ordered a replacement oversize unit from Midway yesterday.
Got 8lbs of H4895 laid in and about 1k 168 BTHPs.
A buddy gave me a 30 cal ammo can full of once fired Lake City 7.62 brass that I've been prepping
as time allows and I've gotten about 100 rounds loaded.
Hopefully I can get to the range this Sunday.

The rear sight aperture is designed to be a little loose in the sight base on the stock M1/M14. This allowed apertures to be switched out without fitting. The only thing NM about the rear sight on the loaded model is the size of the aperture, they are not hand fitted so a little bit of slop is to be expected. Though I prefer the hooded rear sight.

I got the same rifle a few months ago and it is a beast.

CMBTshooter":10obu8qf said:
The rear sight aperture is designed to be a little loose in the sight base on the stock M1/M14. This allowed apertures to be switched out without fitting. The only thing NM about the rear sight on the loaded model is the size of the aperture, they are not hand fitted so a little bit of slop is to be expected. Though I prefer the hooded rear sight.

I got the same rifle a few months ago and it is a beast.

I ordered a Kreiger hooded rear aperature.

How does your rifle shoot ?
Everything I'm reading says 1.5 MOA is acceptable for accuracy without replacing parts and bedding the rifle ?

I just checked how my light loads function in it and didn't shoot for accuracy. Other than that I've been shooting the Garand. I shimmed the gas cylinder and installed a NM op rod guide. I'm taking it out this weekend before I head back into work to shoot for accuracy.

Got the rear aperature replaced last night.
Had to stone it to fit and the lateral play is gone.
Put a NM spring guide in it too.
Have a shim kit for the gas cylinder which I'll get fitted tomorrow.

Back