seating depth

bangskeet

Beginner
Oct 7, 2017
I measured my COAL using the cleaning rod method with an AccuBond bullet I then got my measurement that I wanted with the bullet comparator. Will this still work with any bullet since the comparator hits the ogive? Same measurement would apply to a Partition?

I would add anytime you change boxes or lot numbers of even the same bullet. For accuracy sake, and if you're running anywhere close to the lands, for safety sake.

I've run across some pretty significant variances with a new box using the same brand and make of bullet as before. I always check. Most times differences are only .010 or so, but I've seen much more than that. As high as .045.

ShadeTree":3r937fwf said:
I would add anytime you change boxes or lot numbers of even the same bullet. For accuracy sake, and if you're running anywhere close to the lands, for safety sake.

I've run across some pretty significant variances with a new box using the same brand and make of bullet as before. I always check. Most times differences are only .010 or so, but I've seen much more than that. As high as .045.

Excellent advice for the conscientious hand loader.

.300winmag":11ulmkj1 said:
I will echo checking every new lot of bullet. For method, this is the best I’ve seen, found and used. It’s the only way to go with a bolt action rifle in my experience.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TWmIwPwLyyg

Not to be a smart aleck but that seems like a cumbersome and over the top method for the average person just to get a simple reading on what length a bullet contacts that lands. Unless someone is insistent on loading some extra fine number like .002 off the lands and are using match bullets to cut down on small variances that you're bound to get with standard bullets.

It's not going to upset me whichever method someone wants to use, but I just use the cleaning rod method like the OP. Takes 2 minutes and I can repeat the same reading starting over from scratch, so it's accurate enough.

I use the Hornady Straight O.A.L. gauge along with the Bullet Comparator. Some may say it is not as precise as Alex Wheeler's method. It is good enough for me

I cut the neck of two cases and slowly cicle the rounds in to find max length to the lands.
Works for me.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

ShadeTree":2wqdjzr6 said:
.300winmag":2wqdjzr6 said:
I will echo checking every new lot of bullet. For method, this is the best I’ve seen, found and used. It’s the only way to go with a bolt action rifle in my experience.

Not to be a smart aleck but that seems like a cumbersome and over the top method for the average person just to get a simple reading on what length a bullet contacts that lands. Unless someone is insistent on loading some extra fine number like .002 off the lands and are using match bullets to cut down on small variances that you're bound to get with standard bullets.

It's not going to upset me whichever method someone wants to use, but I just use the cleaning rod method like the OP. Takes 2 minutes and I can repeat the same reading starting over from scratch, so it's accurate enough.

I respect your opinion, and yes, for the average person it might be too much. But the first time you do it is the time it takes the longest. Once you know that on a brand new barrel, when you do it again, you start at your old measurement and work from there, you’ll maybe see .003-.004” difference.

I will say in the last three years I’ve taken up 600 yard Benchrest, I shoot a 6 Dasher with Vapor Trail Bullets, but before each match I will measure my touch, and load accordingly. .002” in seating depth can be a half inch difference in group size at 600 yards. For the average hunter use, that doesn’t matter, but if you truly want to get the MOST accuracy out of your hunting rifle, well....your loading practices just got a lot more involved. And if I see more than .002 BTO measurement difference in any of my guns, that round gets set aside for a Fowler. That’s just me tho, and I am a bit of a perfectionist. Problem of the job being an Machinist/engineer.

.300winmag":1vroe55w said:
ShadeTree":1vroe55w said:
.300winmag":1vroe55w said:

I respect your opinion, and yes, for the average person it might be too much. But the first time you do it is the time it takes the longest. Once you know that on a brand new barrel, when you do it again, you start at your old measurement and work from there, you’ll maybe see .003-.004” difference.

I will say in the last three years I’ve taken up 600 yard Benchrest, I shoot a 6 Dasher with Vapor Trail Bullets, but before each match I will measure my touch, and load accordingly. .002” in seating depth can be a half inch difference in group size at 600 yards. For the average hunter use, that doesn’t matter, but if you truly want to get the MOST accuracy out of your hunting rifle, well....your loading practices just got a lot more involved. And if I see more than .002 BTO measurement difference in any of my guns, that round gets set aside for a Fowler. That’s just me tho, and I am a bit of a perfectionist. Problem of the job being an Machinist/engineer.

Well that makes more sense. Long range bench shooting is a world of it's own. I respect the game, but know better than to venture into it.

I've a bit of an obsessive personality. I already fuss too much with some things that probably don't matter keeping my better shooting hunting rifles and loads in line.

If I got into that game I might as well set up a bed and dinner table down in the reloading room as my wife would never see me again. :lol:

I got 1 rifle I load at .010 off, a 22-250. Tried it in, out to .010 off. Shoots tightest at .010 off. Everything else I've no desire to run that close in a hunting rifle setup. Once you get out past about .035 off you start seeing less change from minor seating depth changes in my opinion.

Back