Shotguns

Darkhorse":rykliv6i said:
A lot of other manufacturers now offer the adjustable stock with included shims with their automatics. I haven't seen this feature in many doubles except the discontinued Browning Cynergy. I think it's a very good feature.
Just got to do your research, mine is now outdated since 2012.

I stand corrected. Browning does still offer the Cynergy. But it is not adjustable for castoff, drop and LOP. At least not the way the A5 and Maxus are. The synthetic Cynergy has an adjustable comb and you can purchase different combs to provide limited adjustment and different recoil pads for LOP.

Well - as Much as I hate to say it, for an all around shotgun you gotta look at Mossberg 500. Look at their website there are too many options and features to list. They are not a "fine" shotgun like a proper Winchester, Ruger or Browning but they will make some fine memories.
The Bantam versions have a shorter LOP and there are aftermarket "tactical" adjustable stocks if you want maximum adjustability. Heck they even have a muzzle loading barrel that will fit the receiver. Mere's a picture of my "Mooseberg" all set for Deer hunting in southern MN

I have a Winchester and an Ithica, because a "boy" from South Dakota should have a proper Winchester to hunt pheasants with but like I said the Moose can do it all just as well.

Here's my Ithica in Classic Deer hunting 16ga. just cause I think its cool.

To me, a goose gun and a pheasant gun are entirely different. My goose setup is an 11-87 Remington while my pheasant/chukar gun is a 28 gauge Ruger Red Label.

I have a few Wingmasters that get called for duty when I'm feeling nostalgic.

That's a cool old Ithaca CL. My uncle took a whole lotta deer with his 16 gauge Deerslayer before rifles were allowed in our county.

Oh heavens, you want to talk shotguns.
Creedmore and I spend more time reloading shotshells and breaking clays than we do playing with rifles.

Clays gun is a Beretta 686 Onxy Sporting with 32 inch barrels and a sub gauge tube set.
Geese and Cranes, Browning Gold 10 ga (shooting it tomorrow AM )
Waterfowl, Benelli Super Black Eagle.
( Must admit I've been shooting doves the last two weekends with the SBE.)

I've got 3 Beretta 391s.
2 1100s
Have 870s in 12 and 16 ga.
Ithaca 37s
Browning A5s in 12, 16 and 20.
A couple of Mdl 12s .
2 Weatherby Orions one in 12 one in 20.

A Ugartechea 12 SxS the wife bought me that is the best handling gun I own.
Quail used to give me fits until I started shooting this at them.
28 in barrels, English stock and splinter fore end with double triggers.

Yes, I'm a shotgun junkie.....

All that having been said, IF (heaven forbid) I had to sell them all and keep only one it would be a 60s or 70s vintage Remington 870 Wingmaster Magnum in 12 ga.
(not the newer, cheaper Express version)
They are like "Barbie" for men. You can get just about any accessory you want for them.
Barrels for different purposes are easy to find and relatively inexpensive.
Stocks are the same way.
You can't wear one of them out, all you do is wear them in.
The longer you shoot it the slicker the action becomes.

I had all the shotgun I ever needed in the 1st 870 I bought.
Want is a different animal....

Howard

cloverleaf":3r4nlw59 said:
Well - as Much as I hate to say it, for an all around shotgun you gotta look at Mossberg 500. Look at their website there are too many options and features to list. They are not a "fine" shotgun like a proper Winchester, Ruger or Browning but they will make some fine memories.
The Bantam versions have a shorter LOP and there are aftermarket "tactical" adjustable stocks if you want maximum adjustability. Heck they even have a muzzle loading barrel that will fit the receiver. Mere's a picture of my "Mooseberg" all set for Deer hunting in southern MN

I have a Winchester and an Ithica, because a "boy" from South Dakota should have a proper Winchester to hunt pheasants with but like I said the Moose can do it all just as well.

Here's my Ithica in Classic Deer hunting 16ga. just cause I think its cool.

I also have a Mossberg 500 like yours in the picture. Great shotgun for the money, literally the Remington 721 of shotguns in my opinion. Not so pretty but shoots like the dickens!

Is there any special thing one needs to do to mount a scope for deer hunting?

Have toyed with trying this out several times, especially where the riverbanks here in Eastern idaho are loaded with whitetail deer.

Do you have a slug barrel or do you shoot sabot or rifled through a smoothbore barrel?

Remington 870 express from your local Big Box Store. Then Buy One of the Extended waterfowl 3 choke sets. Like the Carlson set. If You Hunt Turkey an Extended .685" Turkey Choke will get it done. One of the Waterfowl chokes will pattern Buckshot with a little testing. Slugs Also. A guy can spend a LOT of money on a shotgun, But Generic will get it done exactly the same. If You must have a Semiauto The Mossberg Would be on my short list. If My wallet was Full of cash the day I went to the Big Box Store. A Winchester SX3 would come home with me.

I do have a slug barrel on my Mossberg.it came with a cantilever mount which is welded onto the barrel so the only thing required to mount a scope is a good set of rings and a good scope.the receivers are also drilled and tapped and the standard Weaver style base will allow you to mount a scope to the receiver. I have seen some smooth bore barrel that shoot quite well. Big thing with slugs is experimentation with different types or brand of slug so that you know what your gun likes. This is 1 of a nice things about the mossberg, you can buy combination which is field and slug barrel. Obviously that costs a little more money but you have two barrels, one set up with the scope and one smooth bore without. if you can find a cheap Mossberg with a field barrel you can buy a barrel scope combination package for under $200. However, my one word of caution would be not to skimp on the scope. 12 gauge slugs tend to beat them to pieces. I have seen way too many people, suffer way too much frustrationbecause they can't get a slug gun to shoot well.both of the guns pictured will shoot sub 2 inch groups at 50 yards. My 12 gauge with a rifled slug barrel will shoot that 4 inch group at 100 yardsyards,sometimes smaller.Hope this helps. CL

Just thought I'd add a couple pic's of some groups from my slug guns. Both at 50 yards:
My 16Ga-

My "Mooseberg" 12 Ga-

The shot high right was after adjustment.
The circles are about 2.5 inches.
I think Im about ready for Deer here in southern MN.......CL

Go get 'em, Troy. You're set. Should see pictures of your deer before long. :grin:

Nice results on target Troy! Shotguns & shooter look ready...

How's that four-wheel stealth blind of yours doing? :grin:

With a 1100 I have shot Doves, Quail,Hungaran Partridge, Grouse, A lot of Pheasants, Ducks, Geese & Coyotes & Whitetail Deer. This was done with a 1100 3 inch Mag shotgun, I have several extra barrels for it. I have been shooting it since I was a teenager. I now have 5 shotguns all Remington Autos. Why because there the best.

1100RM you're like my brother, he can't understand why anyone would own anything else. He is a magician with the 1100 when it comes to dropping birds. Last summer he was guiding on a cast and blast day for ptarmigan. After the guests had shot a bunch he joined in the shooting. He had inadvertently dropped five slugs in the primary pocket of his vest along with his sixes. He dropped a couple of slugs into the magazine tube, loading by feel as he marked a couple of birds he had just shot. He then killed the next two ptarmigan that jumped with slugs. Those didn't eat so well.

salmonchaser":1q2vxzdl said:
After the guests had shot a bunch he joined in the shooting. He had inadvertently dropped five slugs in the primary pocket of his vest along with his sixes. He dropped a couple of slugs into the magazine tube, loading by feel as he marked a couple of birds he had just shot. He then killed the next two ptarmigan that jumped with slugs. Those didn't eat so well.

Now, that is funny! :mrgreen: I don't imagine there was a lot of bird left.

Guy Miner":vmau7vr1 said:
Nice results on target Troy! Shotguns & shooter look ready...

How's that four-wheel stealth blind of yours doing? :grin:

Glad I bought the extended warranty. Between the wife and my daughter and me, all three are in need of work at the moment. :x Will be ready for the season though. I have been feelin' kinda ornery lately, hopefully I'll make it out of the car this year. :) Wish I woulda gotten a goat tag this year. Had a crew cab FWD version and a driver ready to go. Oh well.... Is there a Elk or muley tag in your pocket? CL

Ptarmigan patte......eeech....

Actually ordering to the guests, who were quite amazed at the shooting, the birds flushed and there were two spectacular puffs of feathers. The dog wouldn't retrieve the second one.
My brother was pretty embarrassed he made such a mistake.

Back