Sig Sauer P938

big rifle man

Handloader
Dec 21, 2005
Well guys, I'm learning again about NOT taking a credit card with me when I go to a sporting goods store or a Gun show. I thought I was all over this bad habit of picking up a firearm be it a rifle, shotgun, or handgun but NO, I'm not. This weekend there's a gun show in Melbourne, Florida and I needed powder so Off I went at 8:45AM. Found what I was looking for and started through the aisles just looking at what was for sale. By the way it was CROWDED. I get to a certain table that has a lot of Sigs, Kahrs, and S&W's and stop long enough to get myself in trouble. Laying on the table next to the P238 I allready have is a P938 which I didn't know had already come out. I held it, put it down, and then picked it up about 10 more times. The price was right but I got smart and put it back down. I then checked the rest of the show out and got about half way to the exit before I made a left hand turn to go back and look again, praying that it had been sold. Well, it wasn't and the lady behind the table was really good looking. To make a long story short I pulled out my Cabelas card and made a dent in my wallet. Now I've got to buy 9MM dies and all the rest of the stuff that is needed. Buy the way Scotty, saw a brand new CDL in 35Whelen for $800.00. Don't know if thats a good price or not. Also saw one in .280Rem. Long story short, stay away from gun shows.

Another tragic story that ends well! :grin: It sounds as if you did quite well at the gun show. How are you at sneaking new guns into the house?

Good score buddy! Glad you were able to "find" something you needed!

Which version of the 938 did ya get??

I have a 239 & a 220........ bought the wife a 238 Semper Fi engraved for Christmas. And if I can ever stop buying rifles, I'm going for a Sig 1911.

Please keep us advised on how if shoots.

Dr. Mike, Being 68 years old I have pefected sneaking firearms into the house. I simply leave the box in the garage until the wife goes out. I then slip the gun into my gun cabinet and the box under the bed with the other gun boxes. If any questions are asked I simply tell her I bought that "Years ago". Simple but effective. Scotty, Saw two Marine versions of the P238 at the show. Price was around $570.00. Really looked good. Mortis, the 938 had grey snake scale grips. Don't actually know the model. It was the only one on the table.

Mortis, the P938 is an "Extreme" model. My P238 is the copperhead model. By the way, I broke the 938 down to both clean and lube it. Comes apart exactly the same as a 238. But I do have to tell you, getting the recoil spring back in was a bear. The 9MM cartridge has a lot more oomph than the .380 and the recoil spring is a flat coil spring which does a hula dance when you try and get things back in place. I've loaded up some rounds for it and will be at the range this monday. Let you know how things work out.

Finally got to shoot my P938 and it is one accurate pistol. Found with 125 grain ball ammo the rounds hit where you put the front sight at 7 yards. It is tight and took about 30-40 rounds before everythig slicked up. It has digested ball, hollow points and everything else I've been stuffing in the magazine. Tried some of the speer 125 grain +P rounds (the ones designated for short barreled handguns) "WOW" talk about recoil, however, these bullets also went where I pointed the front sight. The cases ended up about ten feet behind me. functioning was perfect. All in all a very successful first time out. Also found that Universal Clays powder works very well and is relatively clean burning. I would have to say the P938 was an excellent purchase. (needed an excuse)

BRM.... glad ya happy with the Sig....

I've been using Clays for years in pistol..... never had a problem and ya right about it being clean.

Ran some Corbon 90 grain +P's thru wife's 238.... it didn't even notice the difference. Was hitting 10" steel plates at 25 yards with it.

Again...Congrats!!!!!

Back