Speer Grand Slam or Accubond

The GS is not that tough of a bullet really. I shot a 175g GS into some newspaper out of my 7 RM and the whole jacked slipped completely off the core, and the core exploded like a varmint bullet. Dont know if thats suppose to happen with that bullet, but from what I saw, I wouldn't use them on elk or bears or big game for that matter.

MattStevens":25eox4wb said:
........... Grand Slam is a proven bonded round.

Not really bonded. In fact they recently (2-3 years ago) changed the design.

I have had good accuracy and terminal performance with Speer Grand Slams in 270 win 130 gr. I have yet to have a very accurate load with balistic tips. Speer Grand Slams and Hot Cor bullets should be bonded or partially bonded being they pour melted lead for the core into the jacket.

What did Speer change in their Grand slam design?

I am not company biased on my bullet opinions, I like all of the companies. Also I have not given up on balistic tips.

In responce to Moose-Guys question as to switching from Grand Slams to the AccuBond I pose my own question. Do you like moose meat?? If so, I would stay with the Grand Slams. My wife and I switched to the Accubonds this season and are sorely dissapointed with them. Hers,270 with 140s, mine a 280 AI, 140s,26 inch barrel,both loaded with a serious charge of RL-22. Good accuracy,but definetly too destructive for our purposes. Accu-BOMBS now is our term for them. 4 speed-goats and 3 mule deer does not a test make, but the loss of too much meat leaves us no choice- back to the Grand Slams for us. We'll shoot coyotes,etc with the ones left, nothing we intend to eat. Mike

In responce to Moose-Guys question as to switching from Grand Slams to the AccuBond I pose my own question. Do you like moose meat?? If so, I would stay with the Grand Slams. My wife and I switched to the Accubonds this season and are sorely dissapointed with them. Hers,270 with 140s, mine a 280 AI, 140s,26 inch barrel,both loaded with a serious charge of RL-22. Good accuracy,but definetly too destructive for our purposes. Accu-BOMBS now is our term for them. 4 speed-goats and 3 mule deer does not a test make, but the loss of too much meat leaves us no choice- back to the Grand Slams for us. We'll shoot coyotes,etc with the ones left, nothing we intend to eat. Mike

The Speer GS is not a bonded bullet .......the 30 cal Grand Slam perform no different than Speer Mag Tip on game. The 338 GS in 250 gr performs better, I guess they made it thicker or harder.

My vote would go to the Bonded AB or Honady IB.

or better yet Barnes TSX.

Back