SWAROVSKI Z5 vs Z3

STW

Beginner
Apr 18, 2006
My friend and I went out to shoot some steel at what is long range for us. My 300 RUM is topped with a Swaro Z3 3-10x42 and my friends 300 RUM is topped with the Z5-3-18 w BT. I have downloaded the Swarovski ballistic app onto my iPad and entered all the required info to generate the drop data. We have 18 inch steel discs hung up at 400-500-600 and 750 yards. We also use a half sheet plywood with paper target to validate our drop matches what the program is telling us.
There was almost no wind yesterday so one less challenge to deal with. The Z3 would not consistently repeat accurate adjustments going from 400 to 750 to 600 and back to my zero range.
The Z5 on the other hand made selecting a target dialing in the correct number clicks and shooting the target way too easy. It was a good comparison and I realize the Z3 is not designed for that type of use. At the end of the day I concluded that I would need a high quality rangefinder and a different scope if I want to continue to shoot like this.

That is because the Z5 erector uses coil springs to hold windage and elevation adjustment. The Z3 uses conventional flat springs which are not as robust and don't hold zero as well as the Z5 does.

There is a whole long posting with diagrams on this already on another site from a few days ago.

erector_comparison_zps87105b08.jpg

Thats VERY intresting info ! - what site is that info on Please there Oldtrader3 ? Thks :) RJ

STW it's nothing that EuroOptik could not fix for ya! New Z5 and Vectronix RF will solve both issues but them Benjamin's will be missing :mrgreen:
http://www.eurooptic.com/vectronix.aspx

Still scratching my head why I installed this optik on a Vanguard :shock:
It is amazing glass and I will set it beside my S&B soon to compare but the 1 " tube is amazing on the Z5 Swaro !

Hi HogWild, any idea of how the vetronix stacks up against the G7 BR2 rangefinder?

No idea as I am still carrying the Swarovski RF and give AJ a call at EuroOptic as I am sure he would be able to answer that for ya ! I need to get some spotter glass, rifle glass so a new RF is down the road a ways! All the good ones are big bucks and I do not shoot with anyone that has better glass than me so far but that should change soon! I am using a bench top 10x42 Swarovski as a short to medium range spotter and it works ok with a spotter out to 550 yds ! I will look around for some reviews but maybe someone else that has used them could speak up !

Just order you a Z6 with BT and you will be set to go ! :mrgreen:
This would work nicely :lol:
http://www.eurooptic.com/swarovski-z6i- ... 8-new.aspx

Been reading reviews on the 2 RF you,spoke of and I see most people liking the Vectronix more than the one you spoke of but seems the Vectronik maybe coming out with something new or they just quit selling to Civilians? All kinda stories going around ? Z5 Rocks !! Getting another 1 tomorrow for my 257 Lazermark !

I also have a Swarovski Z3 (4-12x50) and it is a very nice scope optically but not particularly accurate on turret adjustments.

Very happy when I opened the box as Graf's knows how to package a box with bubble wrap and peanuts and not 1 sheet of news paper ! Amazing no big crunches on the box! :shock:

This will set on top of my 257 Lazermark and is the 3.5-18X44 4W reticle which is growing on me and glad I went with it !

Excellent acquisition, Terry. You'll love it. And I see it has the Ballistic Turret.

Thanks Dr Mike ! it is #3 BT and yes I like the simple system they have with preset zeros and it just works for me and I have not found better glass in my box yet, but I have not tested it against my S&B but it will probably be close, as I am curious how they stack up in lowlight ? Really does not matter since the S&B will see very little but some I suppose ? Got this VX1 1-4X20 for the Benelli M1 Super 90 I got from Pat and I know this thing will be a thumper and it's all that it needs I hope !

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting ... -1-4x20mm/
Wide duplex! Box also had 4 lbs of 560 VV :mrgreen:

Back