Temperature Sensitive Powders ?

My view on it is that if I want to start working up a load on a rifle that I haven't loaded for before, there is no downside to start with the less temperature sensitive powders, providing I have them in stock. If not, then I use whatever powder I have in the appropriate burn rate range. If I have to buy a powder, I will buy the more temperature stable powders if available, if not, then buy whatever is available in the appropriate burn rate range.
THIS RIGHT HERE...

RL22 has a bad reputation of being very temp sensitive . I use RL22 in my 7mm rem mag . I took a moose in Deer lake New Foundland , took a couple caribou in Kujjuaq Canada , took elk in Buford Co. , took whitetails in N.Carolina , Kansas , Pennsylvania , Missouri . I'm sure I'm forgetting some of the hunts for this combo .these shots would have been 600 yards and closer . I never knew I was using a problem gun powder until I read about it on the internet .

Most of my hunting has been where temps were more or less moderate. Mid 70s to maybe 28 degres for the most part. Just worked out that way. Deer hunting in California ran from the 40s and low 50s in the northwest corner of the state to near100 down in some of the canyons in Lake county. Back then I loaded with whatever powder was on hand, mostly IMR 3031 or H4895, especially the latter because it was cheap.
Years later I I switched to ball type powders, usually H335 (cheap) and W760. Liked them because they flowed so well through my dispenser. When I broke down and spent the money for a Chargemaster 1500, only then did I go back to using the stick type powders.
I never had problems with temp sensitivity back then and in fact never hunted and any real cold until I started doing elk hunts in northeast New Mexico where I saw temps as low as four above zero. Usually before the hunt I'd stop off at the NRA's Whittington Cencenter for sight checking and a little bit of pre-hunt practice. Never noticed any change in point of impact even when it was actually four above. Shots were fine at elk as well at those temps and it may have been even colder up above on the mountain.
I do try to keep my shots at 200 yards or less but have taken shot as far as 530 yards. One time only, never did it again Did get the elk with the one shot though. That one was in Arizona and I guess it was about 35 maybe 40 degrees that morning. Rifle was a .300 Win. Mag. running 220 gr. Speer bullets over WMR powder.
Paul B.

Yep, as has been stated numerous times, check your rifle at near normal hunting temperatures, set it for that, and go hunting. Personally I use what load works and don't pay much attention to temperature stability claims.

There is of course variables that would come into play even checking it at hunting temps. If you're somebody that is set up for, and does take long range shots, then any velocity difference would have to be figured in. Otherwise check and set your zero, and forget it.

Also powders will not react the same in different cartridges pushing different weight bullets with different diameters. Just as a hypothetical example.......IMR 4831 might show a significant velocity loss in colder weather in a 270 with a 130 grain bullet, but might not show that at all in a 25-06 with a 115 gr bullet. You just have to check to verify any given load.

RL22 has a bad reputation of being very temp sensitive . I use RL22 in my 7mm rem mag . I took a moose in Deer lake New Foundland , took a couple caribou in Kujjuaq Canada , took elk in Buford Co. , took whitetails in N.Carolina , Kansas , Pennsylvania , Missouri . I'm sure I'm forgetting some of the hunts for this combo .these shots would have been 600 yards and closer . I never knew I was using a problem gun powder until I read about it on the internet .
Jim,
Same here. RL22 is my powder for the 280AI.
Excellent results out to 800 yards from +80 to -20°F. It works well for both my wife and myself despite what is stated on the internet.

JD338

another thing to think about ; are you dialing for elevation ? if you're dialing , and using some type of a ballistic calculator it should be able to correct for different weather conditions , and give you the correct amount to dial .

my rifle that I use RL22 in , I just use the Boone and Crockett reticle . I range the target hold the reticle and shoot . this works ok for me , but I know the limits . I really think you have little to worry about out to 500 yards .

Back