The BEST recoil pad???????

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
I do not want to brake the rifle so what should I buy ? Thank you!!!!!!

I have had excellent luck with Pachmayer Decelerators.

They are a bit more spendy but they make a beautiful not-vented style rubber recoil pad in brown and black to match your stock finish.

Dale

filmjunkie4ever":1agpdxsl said:
I have had excellent luck with Pachmayer Decelerators.

They are a bit more spendy but they make a beautiful not-vented style rubber recoil pad in brown and black to match your stock finish.

Dale
I agree with you on Decelerators. Was a Limbsaver person at one time, but they turn gummy after a period of time. Now it is the Decelerator from now on.

FOTIS":2qzyx5x7 said:
I do not want to brake the rifle so what should I buy ? Thank you!!!!!!
I have 2 Limbsavers and a Decerator I would probably buy a Pachmyer declerator. What are you putting it on?

I have both Limbsavers and Decelerators. Both work well. To be sure, Limbsaver had a problem with the composition of their pads at one point, but the newer pads seem to work well. Have you thought of a mercury recoil reducer? I've never had one installed on any of my rifles, but those whom I know who did install on their own rifles spoke well of them.

How does a mercury recoil reducer work??????

You usually have them installed on the butt of the rifle stock and works like a hydraulic piston. Skeet and trap shooters use them to reduce recoil but can be placed in any wood stock.

Did find a great recoil reducer - An EvoShield t-shirt!

It's made from EvoShield company. They make all kinds of football pads.
Their pads harden and fit to your body when 1st exposed to air.
That t-shirt is a product they make for hunters. Kinda hard to find on their website. But it sure does work well.

http://www.evoshield.com/shootershield

Pad comes in an air tight foil bag. T-shirts are sized to fit tight like a uniform.
It has a pocket for the pad up on your shoulder.
Took the pad out of the bag, put in place, shoulder a rifle every couple of minute for 1/2 hour while pad hardens - Then Wal-la.

I have both the decelerator and limbsaver pads. I think the limbsaver may be more effective, but claims that the pad will get gummy or go flat concern me. Hopefully, mine is new enough that's not an issue. The decelerator pad is a good looking quality pad that looks and feels like it will last. It also does a nice job of reducing felt recoil, though I think the shape of the BC stock helps too.

Basically it is a 378 Bee in the Japanese version (read lightweight). About 8.5 lbs.

I do not want to alter it permanently with a brake this is why I asked.
Thank you.

Other than recoil pad, for big rifles I wear a Browning shirt that has a Reactor pad in the shoulder. Over that I'll then wear a strap-on recoil pad from Cabelas. This combination works well at the range, and 300Wby and up I can shoot with no issues. No rifle alternations needed when doing this, and as they say you don't notice recoil when in the field hunting so I don't worry about that.

I have Decelerators on many of my rifles, but did switch to the Limbsavers on the harder recoiling rifles, when I was suffering from shoulder problems.

I did end up with one Limbsaver that turned gummy, and it was replaced under warranty. As Dr.Mike iterated, they have changed their compound which has resolved this issue.

My old 338 Win Mag in a factory Model 700 used to bruise my shoulder and limit range session to 20 rounds with the factory pad. After switching to the Limbsaver, range sessions of 60 rounds were the norm, without any bruising of the shoulder. My 338-06, 376 Steyr and 416 Taylor all wear the Limbsaver.

I've also used them on my BLR 358 Win as they are thicker than the Decelerator and provide a little longer length of pull for me.

Decelerator all the way. Only had one Limbsaver and it turned into a mass of goo.
Paul B.

I had a 340 Wby and tried the Pach Decel pad along with several others. Kick-eez worked best, but it didn't stop the scope from biting me in the forehead! This rifle shot 5/8" groups with 200 BT's and 225 AB's.

Kick-EEZ pads are hard to make look good and are not as durable as Decel. Decel seemed to bottom out on the 340, giving me a bump and then a smack when it bottomed out! If that 378 kicks much harder than my 340 I would put a brake on it! That is what happened to my 340 after i sold it to a buddy. Too many scars on the forehead for me as well as him!

Back