• 300 RUM

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 338 Winchester

• 338 RUM

• Total voters
elkslayer308":3687iz2z said:
Since no body appears to have as much appreciation for the standard cartridges as they should i also want to start a poll for the one magnum for it all. Now in the last poll, i meant western big game as my everything. No 12 feet tall grizzlies or african big 5. I mean from Mice to moose nothing more, nothing less. These guns are to be used for similar tasks even though it can sucessfully be argued that some are more than adequate for grizzlies and similar bruins. Though some of those standards in the last poll can, have, and continue to kill bears everyday.
My favorite is the 30-06 which has killed every big game species on the N. American Continent and most in Africa after WW2 with all of the rifles and ammo left their by US Forces.I own a Sako Finnsport in 300wm with a Leupold 3x9x40 & CPC Reticle that is large enough for me.

My vote was for the 300WM. My hunting buddy & I shoot the same rifles- Sako m75 SS 300WM for 8 years- using 180gr. Accubonds now. We hunt elk and moose, trophy mulies/WT, big black bears. So if it is a 1-Rifle battery either a 300WM or the 300WSM is my suggestion with 180gr. bullets..

I do have 2 Tikka T3 LS 270WSM shooting 140gr. Accubonds and have been very impressed with this caliber on the same big game. :grin:

So this is my 2nd rifle. Its been knocking down elk with 1 shot kills the last 2 seasons.

If you would have to choose only one I would select the 338WM

More than enough pace when using 225gr bullets and a very potent bush rifle should you load up 300gr @ 2400fps

Barrel life is longer than the ultra magnums
still fits in a normal length Mauser K98 actions, bigger magazine capacity than the short magnums!

The short necks of the 300WM and 300WSM doesn't let them reach their full potential because 220gr bullets protrude to far into the case

for the one magnum to do it all my vote goes to the 338WM

Hmmm.... own a 300Wby. and the 338RUM, but in this case ,seeing as I can choose only one, the 333RUM will get the nod. 185grain pills shoot flat enough for any conditions on smaller game and 250grain bullets have a high sectional density and frontal area to big enough for any game in North America. Alos strange that i find my 338RUM more pleasnt to shoot than my Weatherby as well.

After 11 seasons its the 300 win. mag. hands down.
1. Hits elk hard.
2. Shoots farther than I can.
3. Ammo widely available and reasonbly priced.
4. Reloading components the same.
5. I can handle the way it hits me.
6. Plain and simple confindence in what it will do after seeing 30 or so animals volunteer to take a ride in my pickup.(elk, muledeer, whitetail, antelope, and pigs.)

win. M70 classic stainless(my graduation present to myself) kahles 2x7 (formerly 6x leupold).
200gr. Partition, 180 Partition ppt., and 180 AccuBond.
So far no complaints other than not getting to use it enough.

I have had 3-300 win mags now, 1- 338 win mag and 1- 300 RUM.I would probably still have the 300 RUM if my nephew hadn't begged soooo much for it. it was a good gun. I recently found a great deal on a used "never fired by the original owner" M77 Mark 2 in 300 Win Mag, WITH a Magna port. Under $600.00 tax and all. The 338 had a boss on it, this is my first magna ported fire arm, and I love it. I will probably NOT let this one slip away. :grin:

I think you paid too much. $600 for a ruger...pre-owned? :cry:

The only people to shoot it (besides myself) were Ruger and Magnaport.
This still constitutes a used gun, just not used up. :wink: For hunting, I believe it will be just fine. The trigger is just over 4 pounds, little creep, and the barrel is going to be free floated and bedded.Trigger will be dropped some and creep removed.
Besides if I hadn't bought it, I wouldn't have found this forum :grin:

I dont know about that POP, that seems like a fair price to me. A ruger is usually $450 now a days or so, throw a $150-200 louden boomer on the end and thats uses up $600 pretty quick. Once you get that ruger shooting good, you'll like it. My first 25-06 was a ruger S/S and it shot great with a little trigger work and some reloads. I also had a break on that rifle, kick was less then a .223. The rifle was not bedded or floated however and still shot groups less then .5" with its preferred handloads. Rugers aren't bad rifles, just a little barrel heavy in my opinion.

Well not having the same sporting goods or firearms dealers that you all apparently do, most of the Rugers here in my part of the country, are going for around $650.00 to $690.00 new. ( of this caliber range any way) and that again is without a muzzle break.Walmart doesn't sell guns no more, and most local gun dealers and hardware stores are taking advantage of that fact, and I don't blame them! it's nice to see somebody that Walmart won't push out of business in a small town. Any way I like the gun, I thought the price was good, and I will enjoy working up a load for it and seeing the difference after the barrel and trigger work are complete. I will be useing 180 gr PT and probably IMR 4350, or H4831.
I will let you know what things look like when ever I get to something good!( or at least satisfying!) :p

elkslayer308":2q05ucdz said:
Since no body appears to have as much appreciation for the standard cartridges as they should i also want to start a poll for the one magnum for it all. Now in the last poll, i meant western big game as my everything.
Seeing as I can hunt grumbly bears, sheep, elk, moose, whitetails and muleys, cougar, wolves, etc within half an hour of the house, I guess this applies to me.

It's easy: .358 Norma Magnum. The Husqvarna lightweight that I carry hunting will do just fine in fact... Loads of cheap bulk pistol bullets that can be reloaded with a few grains of Red Dot for gopher loads/practice. Handgun hunting bullets in .357 that can be loaded to emulate 30/30 level performance for simple assassinations of deer beside water holes. 225 grain bullets for everyday hunting, 250 grain and heavier rhino rollers when that's what's called for.. Pretty darned good cast bullet gun with a quality 250 gr. mould, and shooting shot capsules out of it for knocking off grouse while hunting without chasing everything out of the country is kind of nice as well.

About 8 lbs good to go, no deafening dragon calls on the end, so does come back a bit. Works for me.

Husky.jpg

300 Winchester Magnum for me loaded with a good 180 grain bullet. I own two rifle chambered for this cartridge. A Sako AIII and a Model 70 Laredo LRH. My second choice if any will be a 7MM Remington magnum loaded with 175 grain bullet.

Well, I couldn't settle on just "ONE" magnum. Therefore, I have three of them, a 270WSM, 300RUM, and 338WM.

I think I pretty much all the bases covered for any North American big game animal. Have no desire to hunt in Africa.

Richracer1":1t190gc4 said:
Well, I couldn't settle on just "ONE" magnum. Therefore, I have three of them, a 270WSM, 300RUM, and 338WM.

I think I pretty much all the bases covered for any North American big game animal. Have no desire to hunt in Africa.

I was just trying to "play the game" <g>! I have two magnums, a 338 WM and a 325 WSM. I'd like a 7mm-mag. I think I'd skip the 30's though. If it was too big for my 30-06, I'll use the 338.

A guy I hunt with has one of those 270 WSM's and just loves the thing. He's had two great kills on antelope and a big mulie and attributes it, and his new Harris bipod, as being the reason he stopped missing game.

-jeff

Jeff- I've had a harris bipod on my rifles hunting trips since I was 13. I'm 21 right now but I have to tell ya there is no substitute for a Harris. They are one of the best investments for a rifle out there. I went from missing my first year of hunting, to making 300-400 yard 1 shot kills the next. I NEVER go hunting w/out my Harris bipod, period. There good for the starting hunter to the veteran hunter. I have to tell you theres only been 1 or 2 animals in the last 7-8 years of all my hunting I have NOT been able to swing those legs down on the Harris and put it to use. I can attribute 95% of my kills to that Harris bipod. Great tool for the hunter!

remingtonman_25_06":jqs8ql21 said:
Jeff- I've had a harris bipod on my rifles hunting trips since I was 13. I'm 21 right now but I have to tell ya there is no substitute for a Harris. They are one of the best investments for a rifle out there. I went from missing my first year of hunting, to making 300-400 yard 1 shot kills the next. I NEVER go hunting w/out my Harris bipod, period. There good for the starting hunter to the veteran hunter. I have to tell you theres only been 1 or 2 animals in the last 7-8 years of all my hunting I have NOT been able to swing those legs down on the Harris and put it to use. I can attribute 95% of my kills to that Harris bipod. Great tool for the hunter!

You sound like my buddy! I think he'd put on on his Tahoe if he could figure out a way! :)

-jeff

Back