tumbling with S/S media

big rifle man

Handloader
Dec 21, 2005
I know this has been discussed before but I could use some other members thoughts on this again as I have just started using this method. First question, How much water do you put in the Thumblers tumbler?. Second, upon finishing the tumble cycle how do you separate the steel media from the inside of the cases? I don't know how great the shaking method would be. A piece of my swimming pool screening works real well as a catch for the pins as you dump the dirty water. I can also wash the media by simply keeping it in the screening and using a hose set lightly. Please give me any of your thoughts. Thanks.

Fill it to the top with water; that is why you have the pliable seal. As I remove the brass from the tumbler, I tip them in the water and shake--the pins fall free into the water. A magnet is handy for picking up any pins that fall free. The system produces exceptionally clean and bright cases ready for sizing.

According to the instructions that came with my Tumbler's, the loaded drum should weigh no more than 15 pounds. Rather than tumble a lot of water unnecessarily, I load what I think is a reasonable amount of brass with the media and detergent and then put the whole shootin match on a bath scale and add only enough water to bring the weight up to, and maybe a few ounces over, fifteen pounds. It doesn't require so much water to do the job well.

I have gone over the 15 pounds many times with no bad results. (223/500 pieces of brass) I just tumble them longer to make up for the extra brass.
Russ

Thanks again everybody. I'm going to give it a try this weekend. One last Question (probably stupid) Do you use hot or cold water? I use extremely hot water with my sonic cleaner which does a fantastic job but does not brighten the cases.

I use water from the cold water tap. It will reach ambient temperature pretty quickly, in any case.

russ808":g5g6fz7f said:
I have gone over the 15 pounds many times with no bad results. (223/500 pieces of brass) I just tumble them longer to make up for the extra brass.
Russ

Just how heavy have you gone, Russ? And what model is your tumbler?

I've had an instance where the motor of my tumbler didn't have the uuumph to get things rolling so I lightened the load. I know I can give the thing a little help to start it rotating, but I didn't want to overwork the motor and risk damaging it.

RR, I have the model b. I have about 250 308 shells tumbling now. I will weigh it and let you know. I have gone heavier.
Russ

I've primarily used the Thumler's Tumbler for black powder cases...38/55 and 45-70. I've usually had good luck with just putting in enough water to cover the cases or a bit more, added a few squirts of Dawn,1/4- 1/2 teaspoon of Lemi-Shine and had great results. I tumbled for four hours and those cases looked as new. It's tricky not loosing any of those little pins.

Back