Ultimately, It's Why We Hunt Them

When I worked up north as a driller, we had many black bears around all the time. Most of them could be dealt with using an 8 foot 2x4 to whack them on the butt. Being in Quebec, I could not carry a hangun but we kept a SMLE .303 bolt action around as an equalizer, just the same. Never had to use it but it made us feel better.

Oldtrader3":6rnfr2dd said:
When I worked up north as a driller, we had many black bears around all the time. Most of them could be dealt with using an 8 foot 2x4 to whack them on the butt. Being in Quebec, I could not carry a hangun but we kept a SMLE .303 bolt action around as an equalizer, just the same. Never had to use it but it made us feel better.
Whether it's real security, or just the feeling, it is comforting to have a gun to hand when one thinks they may have need of it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Yes. I know it's "just" a black bear, but following a wounded one into the brush was a LOT different than tracking a wounded deer...

It becomes real obvious that the bear is quite capable of turning the tables. And that was a 300 pound black bear, not a 500+ pound grizzly, or 1,000 pound coastal brownie! :shock:

I have a lot of respect for those who have hunted the great bears.

Guy

I don't like pushing brush to find a wounded black bear any more than pushing brush to find a wounded grizzly. It has to be done on occasion, however.

Back