Unbelieveable .30-06 Coincidence

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
So you guys remember how I was saying that the 165 BT and AB don't hit even close to one another at 100 yds out of my .30-06?

Last night at the range, a friend and I both brought out our .30-06's for a little fine tuning before deer season. He was shooting 180 grain Remington FLs and I was shooting 165 grain Nosler AB handloads.

With my 165 grain Handloads sighted in 2" high at 100 yards in my model 70, the Remington 180 grain PSPCL load hit dead on at the same distance. Even after 3 shots I was nearly incredulous thinking it was a fluke.

Taken aback, I had him try some of my loads in his rifle, with the same results, my handloads hit 2" higher than the Remingtons.

A pleasant coincidence. Nice to know that a factory load of some kind will hit close to my handloads point of aim if I am in BFE and run out of ammo some day!

That is a nice thing. I never really think about it but it may not be a bad idea to check out a factory load in some of the rifles, just to get an idea. That is if there is even a factory load available.

Yep,
I was pleased as punch to recently get my 165 and 180gr. AccuBond '06 loads shooting nuts into the same POI. Now it doesn't matter which box I grab... Happy, happy, happy.
Good stuff

I have bought a few boxes of Norma Oryx 180 grain factory loads and they shoot 1 inch groups at the same POI as the 165 Nosler Partition handloads at 100 yards. Don't know what the Norma's would do at 200 yards?

Back