Western Colorado

billbam

Beginner
Dec 12, 2010
We just got back from Western Co. Overall it was a good trip. We had hunted the same property 2 years ago. We have 2 groups and rotate each year so we retain the property. The weather was hot the first 2 days then the winds came in for 3 days and we had over 40 mph on top of the mountain the 3rd day. We got some snow on Weds afternoon. Our group took a bull, a cow and a bear. I saw elk but never got the chance for any shots. I had a deer tag, but never saw a buck.
At the range to check the guns, the Whelen took 2 shots. The first was right on and the second to confirm was right on top. This was the first time I did not have to make any adjustments. The Whelen carried very well and am happy with the way it turned out

Attachments

• IMG_0450 [800x600].jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 676
Sounds like your group had some success.
The 35 Whelen is a tack driver round. What bullet and load are you shooting?

JD338

JD, I went with the 225AB and 60.5 R15. It shoots really well. I try latter to post more. I'm getting the attachment quota message right now.

Congratulations to your group on their success. The Whelen does sound as if it is really dialed in; that is always gratifying and comforting when the opportunity to pull the trigger presents itself.

On Friday we went to the ranch and glassed at first light at the gate to check the fields to see if any Elk were there. They were in the back corner working their way into the mountain. The next morning it took us 2 hours to hike to a saddle above them for first light. They were there but went up the other side of the bowl.

Ain't that the way it goes with elk? They are such a sweet prize for the hunter because he works for every elk.

You aren't kidding about that Mike.

Great hunt Bill! Glad you like your Whelen! It is one of those hard to beat cartridges!

My electric is still out. working with a genny. This area is a mess. Power co , not so good. We still have wires blocking roads. I'll try to post some of the pic's

Here they were across the bowl. There were spread out on the ridge. This was the main group. There were more behind them. A good bull was about 400 yards behind them and went over the top alone.

Attachments

• IMG_0464 [800x600].jpg
    128 KB · Views: 566
We went over to the other side of the bowl 2 days later and hunted a big draw where they come off the 2 different ridges and sat for about 45 minutes. When we went back to the upper saddle above us, the elk had crossed behind us stepping on our tracks when we came through earlier. You could still smell them. We trailed them on top of a ridge to where they dropped down into some very steep rocky slopes. Along the way, we crossed some bear and cat tracks.

Attachments

• IMG_0478 [800x600].jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 566
Colorado traffic jam

Attachments

• IMG_0483 [800x600].jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 566
Wednesday snow on top

Attachments

• IMG_0486 [800x600].jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 566
Bull and cow

It was a good trip and the weather was not the best in the beginning of the week. We left a day early which was a good choice. Rt 70 was a mess past Vail and then the pending storm at home. The shore area got hit which was in the news but the interior got shredded with the wind where we still have lines on the roads. They are now saying maybe Sunday or Monday for electric. Its getting old camping in your house.
The Whelen may have to wait till next year.

Attachments

• IMG_0470 [800x600].jpg
    132 KB · Views: 564
Great pictures, Bill. It is a real hardship for the residents of NY and NJ to go without power. Now, this nor'easter blowing in only adds to the misery. Good that you have a generator, even if intermittently.

billbam":3mwymr7t said:
JD, I went with the 225AB and 60.5 R15. It shoots really well. I try latter to post more. I'm getting the attachment quota message right now.

That seems to be the magic load around here.

FOTIS":1ymi3g32 said:
billbam":1ymi3g32 said:

That seems to be the magic load around here.

It is! It was amazing how well it shot in my Whelen.

Back