Wet Weather/Alaska/Brown Bear hunters

Jimbeaux82

Handloader
Jan 6, 2011
I am interested in a little advice/opinions from our esteemed members. I am planning an Alaskan Brown bear hunt in May of 2024. I will be hunting with Justin Horton's group and he has advised me to be ready for lots of rain. We will have a 10 day hunt on the edge of Ursa Bay from a tented camp. I am ready to assemble my hunting loads now, having worked up the recipe last summer. Here is what I plan on loading: 375 H&H, 270 gr Barnes LRX at 2650 fps, 20" barrel, 1.5" groups (minute of brown bear).

Questions:
1) what do you think of my load selection?
2) anyone previously hunted or had knowledge of Justin Hortons group?
3) since I must be ready for extremely wet weather, do you guys use primer sealant on the primers?
4)if so, what sealer do you use? in the past I have used something called Old Roy's sealant which I think was nothing more than colored fingernail polish.

Feel free to PM me if you have advise you do not wish to post on an open forum

Thanks

Jimbeaux

Good luck on your hunt. I'm in BC adjacent to where you are hunting so will offer an opinion. I have never sealed a primer and have never had an issue, it does get extremely wet here especially in fall. I guess it's cheap insurance so why not do it anyway if you're thinking about it. Generally the weather is pretty good in May though but you can get anything from hot temperatures to rain and snow. You can expect anything and will likely have all of the above on your hunt.

My opinion on bear bullets is to get something that will open up fast and cause a big wound channel. I sure wouldn't go any heavier than your 270 gr LRX and wouldn't be afraid of something even softer. You should be just fine however with the LRX design, they seem to open up well. Seems like a bunch of the heavier 375 bullets don't open a big wound channel. We used the 260 gr AccuBond when we hunted the coastal grizzlies here and liked what they did.

I don’t know Justin, think he operates mostly down on the Seward Penninsula. He does have a good reputation so you are covered there. What I do know about spring bear is ammunition failure is the least of your worries, nothing wrong with being prepared however. I also know that the chief cause of un tagged hides is weather and failure to prepare for the weather and having the mental toughness to put up with the weather.
I had the best Gortex gear money can buy during my 20 year career guiding up there. The stuff is great as long as you can get it dry overnight or every other day or so. Absent that youre going to stay wet. I always kept a rubberized canvas shell, Think Grundens with me, as long as I was wearing waders. No waders, with rain in the forecast I had the bibs as well.
Saw a lot of bears killed with an 06, in my lifetime. 375 is perfectly adequate. If Justin is OK with you running Barnes you will be Golden. I preferred the Swift A frame even over the Partition because it was bonded.
Have a great hunt. Pray for a late spring so you’re there when they pop out.

We were out on the Alaska Penninsula and saw a lot of nice weather right at the end of may. You don’t really want nice weather too early because they’ll pop out early and disperse.

I sealed primers years ago with some of my wife's fingernail polish. It was interesting to do, once. Saw no real benefit to it, but saw no reason to not do so either.

Salmonchaser is right - get great rain gear.

I'll bet that 20" barreled 375 roars pretty good! :) I like your load, the LRX does have a good reputation for opening easily. Nosler's 260 gr AccuBond has worked well for me on three black bears too. Actually recovered the bullet hanging in the off-side hide from one good size black bear shot at a way-too-close 15' or so... Nicely expanded, lots of penetration and quick kills.

4Ms9Mh5l.jpg

I like Gerry's thoughts on using the faster-expanding .375 premium bullets on bear. Salmonchaser's thoughts on the Swift A-Frame too. Those are serious bullets!

Guy

LRX is the fastest expanding bullet in the Barnes line. I do have a couple boxes of Swift A Frames in 250, 275 and 300 grain as well as 260 and 300 gr Nosler P’s. I have considered them all and I might be over analyzing this which I tend to do sometime being an engineer! lol! Probably would be fine with any of the above mentioned. Why did I pick the 270 gr LRX? Boddington opined that he like 300 gr conventional ie not all copper bullets, best for Alaskan Brown after trying them all. Since with the all copper bullets you can usually go down one weight and maintain same penetration as conventional bullets, ie Aframe or NP, that was partly how I landed there. Since I have a 20” barrel I wanted to try to keep the velocity up a bit as well hence 270 over 300 gr.

All that said it is not too late. I could easily go the Swift AF route!

Guides generally have a better data set then most of us, particularly when it comes to the big bears. Still, it only takes one bad experience to taint their opinions. Of the outdoor writers Boddington has probably killed more bears than any other writer extant. I know a couple of guides that have a dim view of the Barnes bullets. Don’t know any who don’t like the Swift A frame. What the A frame tends to do better than the rest, other than hold together is run north to south or south to north after the bear has been hit broadside. I would wager there have been more bears killed with partitions than any other premium bullet.
Hint; do not wait for the perfect follow up shot, if the sights settle on the butt. Shoot him there, brake the pelvis he ain’t going to get to you very fast.
If I ever go back up to hunt grizz I’ll take my 338 or 375 with 250s or 300s running a bonded bullet.

Yup, when game is wounded and headed away from me, I'll shoot them to drop them.

Guy

My Dad always said if it's still moving, keep shooting, and when it finally stops moving, give it one more! And never trust a "dead" bear!
He guided a lot of grizzlies in 42 years in northern BC, as did his father and grandfather in each of their respective 45 years of guiding. He always said that he hated guiding grizzlies cause "they're too damn smart!".

If you're not sure about your LRX, you could do some expansion test results on some milk jugs with your load in your rifle to see how that bullet will open up at say 50, 100 and 150 yards (check with your outfitter as to typical distances he allow hunters to shoot at unwounded bears). If you are happy with the expansion and the accuracy of your load, go for it. If not try your 250 and 275 gr A-Frames and see how they are going to expand at the velocities form your rifle.
In the end, pick the one with the best expansion, penetration and accuracy in your rifle, and go forth with the confidence this inspires!

As for staying dry and comfortable, if you can keep your weight within the parameters given by the outfitter and flight requirements, a second pair of rain gear that can be left in the tent to dry out and you can still be out hunting in a dry set, may not be bad insurance. While the Sitka rain gear is good (I own the same stuff), really wet weather will not keep you completely dry, and then there is the perspiration that builds up on the inside if you are busting brush and climbing big/steep terrain.

Best of luck on your upcoming adventure!

Last edited:
Merino wool base layers and socks are very nice to have, they breathe well and dry out quickly. If it gets hot out it still is comfortable to have on because it breathes so well. Another bonus is they won't stink as quickly as other base layers will which is nice when you are out tenting.

Since you have the Swift's too may wish to try a load with them too, you have lots of time still. I haven't used them but Salmonchaser's recommendation has a lot of value. Your idea of going a bit lighter because of the shorter barrel sounds good to me. It's true that some guides don't know a lot about bullets and like was said have opinions that don't make sense.

If I was to get a 375 Ruger again the 250 gr TTSX would be a top choice, lots of guys are running those and love them. That said the 270 gr LRX is probably as good. What I liked about the 260 gr AccuBond was it opens up well at any reasonable range unlike some of the other bullets. At close range you often find them against the hide on the far side and they have usually opened really wide.

Like the guys have said they are very smart and just keep shooting until they are down. Sounds like an amazing adventure awaits you!

thanks for all the advice and opinions. Trust me, this Cajun boy, when hunting something that can eat me, will keep shooting until I am certain the bear is dead or I run out of bullets! And I plan to bring plenty bullets!

Regarding the rain gear, I have a brand new set of Sitka rain gear as well as a rubberized overcoat to help. Don’t mind some hardship but at 63 don’t want to be wet and cold for 10 straight days!
You do not want that! My worst year I guided 83 days straight with rain. It sucked, actually had mold growing on me. I wore/wear Sitka and Simms. The Alaska Penninsula is lousy with Grizz. Arguably the highest concentration of bears. I learned a.lot seeing them on a daily basis. Gerry’s comment on how smart they are should always be considered. In my opinion they will make a Golden retriever look dumber than a post. Think boarder collie weighing 1000 pounds.

You do not want that! My worst year I guided 83 days straight with rain. It sucked, actually had mold growing on me. I wore/wear Sitka and Simms. The Alaska Penninsula is lousy with Grizz. Arguably the highest concentration of bears. I learned a.lot seeing them on a daily basis. Gerry’s comment on how smart they are should always be considered. In my opinion they will make a Golden retriever look dumber than a post. Think boarder collie weighing 1000 pounds.

What range would you recommend a hunter be prepared to shoot?

Guy

I'm following this with great interest as I'm going to book a hunt in the future. I'm leaning towards my 375 H&H Mag with the 260 gr E-Tip but will use what the outfitter recommends. The 338 RUM with 250 gr PT's could be an option for me.
The information coming in is extremely helpful.

JD338

I will be talking to my outfitter again in the next couple weeks. He originally wanted me to shoot a 300 mag but I prefer the 375. He said I needed to be able to shoot a 300 yard shot if necessary. I understand that his experience with clients shooting big rifle might not be the best. But I went out and bought another 375 which is more suited for Alaska than the previous one I had. This one is an inter arms Whitworth Mauser controlled rd feed, synthetic stock, 20” barrel, custom built rifle that shoots extremely well. I have put about 100 rds thru it so far including shooting it out by to 300 yards without problem. I have even been taking it deer hunting this fall telling my friends “I only hunt BIG deer”. lol. I killed a doe with a perfect double lung shot at 100 yards and don’t you know she ran over 150 yards. Go figure. I think I am ready to go with it but want to discuss it with my outfitter one more time so he is not surprised when I show up.

BTW - I have hunted and taken African dangerous game (Cape Buffalo) in the past as well.

Once the hunt is over will make a good report out for anyone like yourself who may be interested

There seems to be a bit of a trend to going longer but most guides I knew are still going to get closer. Generally inside 100 yards. Be rock solid out to 300 from field posistions you’ll be golden.
You want to impress your guide show up with a battle worn 06 or 300 even a 280 with a low power variable or fixed and be able to hit a paper plate from standing every time in under 3 seconds at 50 yards. I think the most common complaint I’ve heard from guides is They can’t shoot, it takes them too much time to shoot, followed by the bear was 65 yards away and he asked me the range three times while fiddledicking with the rifle.
Still being mentally prepared for the hunt and physically prepared are much more important than your rifle shooting itty bitty groups.
Guy, I ran into Joey again at SCI last year, he still complains he doesn’t get enough hunters like you. Your grizz turned into a bit of a rodeo, but as Joey said that man can hunt, shoots good too.
Jimbeaux
I was writing this when you were writing yours. Your experience with the 375 will serve you well and the reality is a 375 and an 06 shoot equally well to 300 yards. Really looking forward to your reports.

Last edited:
Based on experience in AK, consider QD mounts such as Warne. Sight in you load with the open sights if you have them. A second scope with the QD mounts if you have no metallic sights. Either way, It's a failsafe.

Back