What caliber to barrel my SPR action in?

ajvigs

Handloader
Nov 1, 2012
Hey gents

I am seeking your input into what caliber I should barrel my FN SPR action in? It's got a 308 bolt face, and will be run with CDI bottom metal and AI mags. Barrel is gonna be a Brux between 20-22 inches in a bull sporter contour all sat in a Manners T6A elite carbon. I'm intending it to be lighter rig that I can hunt with here in the south and also shoot at distance.

260 or 6.5 Creedmoor. Easy to get awesome brass for either. There are a ton of choices but either of those two would be really good hunting rounds and go the distance as well.

SJB358":1vr8ztg2 said:
260 or 6.5 Creedmoor. Easy to get awesome brass for either. There are a ton of choices but either of those two would be really good hunting rounds and go the distance as well.

That's what I would do as well on a short action, on a long action a 6.5x55. 6.5-284 or 6.5-06 would be nice.

Good recommendations there. Matter of fact all of them are good. Didn't see a cartridge I wouldn't like in a rifle.
I'd lean toward the 260 myself. Here's why. You already have a 308 face and length on the action. 260 is a 308 based cartridge. Second, 20-22 inch barrel will be nice but with some of the mentioned cartridges longer is better. The 260 in the slightly smaller cases than an 06 based case should allow you to use powder combos that should do well in the shorter barrel. Probably a little 4350 and you're set. Brass is easy, 260 is fairly easy to find and if you can't find it, neck up 243 brass or down on 7-08(may have to trim on the 7-08). Run one of the AccuBonds and you're good to go.

Sounds like a theme developing, but either the .260 or the 6.5 Creedmoor are excellent suggestions. Dewey's summation makes the point concisely for the .260. Excellent cartridge that works quite well.

I would have to go with the 6.5 Creedmoor (y) it really is a very versatile calibre with good bullet and brass selection.

Blessings,
Dan

What kind of game do you plan to pursue?

I lived in Texas for a couple of years before moving back to the Northwest and the deer down there weren't huge but long range shots were a possibility.

I would say a 6mm Rem or a .25-06 personally. Maybe a .270 if you wanted extra power.

Back