Which Bullet for the .30-06

Larry in SD

Handloader
Nov 8, 2004
to be used on a combo Elk / Mule Deer Hunt?

Had a buddy call me today inquiring the above question. He is considering going on a combo Elk & Mule Deer Hunt and was asking as to the best bullet for the task and what weight.

I figured I'd ask you guys as I have never hunted Elk or Mule Deer.

Thanks

Larry

I would look at the 180 gr AB or PT, second choice would be the 165 gr AB or PT.

IMR 4350 is always a good starting point.

JD338

Larry,

I like both the 165/168 grain class of bullets or the 180 grain class of bullets. You could do far worse than to work up a load with either the Partition or the AccuBond for a 30-06. Whilst I have shot a fair number of ABs in various cartridges, I have had far more success with PTs. Ergo, I find myself leaning to the Partition in most instances, though progress dictates that I work up loads with the AccuBond. Truthfully, either will work well for your friends hunt.

Yeah, it seems like the 165 PT and IMR4350 is about as great a deer/elk combo as there gets. Should get excellent speed and the 165 PT is up to the task. Good luck, hope your buddy has luck with whatever combo he picks, but I think if he starts with 165's and 4350, he should make quick work of it at the bench.

I have custom reloaded one hunter's 30-06 with 180 Nosler Partition & RL-17. Getting Nosler text book velocities only (about 2700 FPS - nothing significant in FPS but a clover inside an 3/4" at 100 yards)

I have custom loaded another hunter's 30-06 with Hornady 165 Interlock and SST. Again inside 3/4 or better at 100 yards and some nice velocities over 2910 using IMR 4350.

Yeah, nothing much to scoff at with a 180 at 2700. Might not be a screamer, but it'll get it done. Great work Steve, I hope he is able to kill something with the 180 PT.. That is a heckuva bullet in the 30-06.

Larry, before I started reloading, this is what I used for my -06:

Elk: Remington Core-lok 180 grain killed many. The blue box 180g rounds actually work well and killed a cow elk with it. Cheap and effective.

Mule Deer: Federal 165 Vital Shock BTSP

Hornady Superformance: Will never use nor recommend again

Since I started reloading:

180 g. AccuBond with IMR 4350 powder.
165 g. Hornady Interbond with IMR 4350,RL 22 and Varget.

In the older 700 Remington BDL, the 180 AccuBond/IMR powder combo is the most accurate to 200 yards.

In the newer Tika, the 165/IMR combo is more accurate at 100 yards.

So, if were to use the -06 again for both mule deer and elk, I would use my older 700 Rem and the 180 AccuBond/4350 combo. If I were shooting factory ammo, Remington 180g corelokt would get the nod... but it kicks like a mule, so it stays in the safe and gets to go to the range once in a while.

Hope that helps.

WM

165 or 180, whichever shoots best from the rifle. I'd go with either a Partition or AccuBond, though truth be told the newer Ballistic Tips are plenty tough too. Settled on the 165 Partition as my "standard" bullet for the .30-06 rifle long ago. Nothing against the 180 though.

H4350 is my standard powder with the .30-06 cartridge. Good velocity and dependable accuracy.

Mule deer fall easy from pretty much any decent hit, .243 and up. Elk might require more penetration, depending on the angle of the shot. No elk expert here, have only shot one, but he was a dandy. Used a 175 Partition from a 7mm mag, not much different from using a 165 or a 180 Partition from the .30-06 rifle.

Regards, Guy

I do not have the big game experience that some of the guys here do but I have probably killed 100 deer or so and (6) elk. The last 30 or so deer which I have shot have been one shot DRT's with calibers from .257 Roberts to .300 H&H and ranges from 30 yards to 425 yards. Most of these deer were killed with a 130 gr Partitions by my .270 Winchester. I prefer the Partition but also use the AccuBond in a couple of rifles and it works fine but IMHO, the Partition is better.

I always use a Partition for elk.

JD338":3jxfapio said:
I would look at the 180 gr AB or PT, second choice would be the 165 gr AB or PT.

IMR 4350 is always a good starting point.

JD338

My sentiment exactly.

Bill

I'm gonna say Ballistic Tips...old habits die hard...I've never hunted mule deer or elk, but accurate bullets are accurate bullets...and for me, nothing beats Ballistic Tips...not even Berger.

180 grain Ballistic Tips should floor any elk around...I like the "H" version of 4350 better than "IMR"...but both are well proven in the 30-06.

I personally prefer the 165 gr. AccuBond or Partition in my own 30-06 for antelope, deer, bear, and elk. My powder of choice is IMR4350 but H4350 is equally as good. If your buddies rifle likes the 180 gr. AccuBond or Partition better, then that is what I would have him use. With either bullet weight and those two bullets he can't really go wrong.
David

SJB358":16b4rm69 said:
Yeah, it seems like the 165 PT and IMR4350 is about as great a deer/elk combo as there gets. Should get excellent speed and the 165 PT is up to the task. Good luck, hope your buddy has luck with whatever combo he picks, but I think if he starts with 165's and 4350, he should make quick work of it at the bench.

Being a 30-06 shooter for many years, The 165gr is hard to beat...Perfect combo! :twisted:

I use my Tikka T-3 in 30-06 as my back up to everything!

165 gr Nosler Partition 58 gr H4350 2850 fps and under MOA all day long.

My Winchester Model 70 does the same load and velocity as Fotis listed. Deer killer DRT.

Wow thanks for all the replies guys. Great info but then that is the norm on this site.

He is going to get in touch with me in the next week or so. I will have him read all of your replies and we'll go from there. I have used both IMR and H 4350 in the .30-06 for several years and actually have some of both on hand.

Thanks again guys

Larry

FOTIS":5rw6en0s said:
I use my Tikka T-3 in 30-06 as my back up to everything!

If not for the Tikka part, I'd have trouble believing that actually came from your keyboard, Fotis, as boring as the .30-06 is...

Larry - I probably can't tell you anything you don't already know. Nothing wrong with the AB, but such a classic hunt with a classic cartridge is just begging for the PT. :grin:

Back