Your "most used" rifles???

Well there is not a question my Marlin 39A has the most rounds through it. It use to sport the Williams extra fine Ivory front site with a William adjustable rear sight which was more durable than the factory rear sight. Which was great for fast sight aliment, shooting shotgun shells hand thrown in the air or small apples or walnuts. Things Kids will do glad to have grown up where I could do this kind of shooting.
Now days my 39A has a Williams Peep sight on the rear for deliberate fine shooting these days, how many bricks went down range would be hard to guess when a brick only lasted a good day.
Yes this has been the most used, I need to break out this old girl for good time sake.

Winchester 70 270 win. Started life as a South Carolina supergrade model. Since then It has had a new shilen, mcmillan, and timney put on it. Also Williams Bottom Metal. Has had a few different scopes as well. In the approx 8 years I have had it, the rifle has accounted for:
10 mule deer (8 by me, 2 by my wife)
4 Elk
3 Black Bears
1 Antelope
1 Shiras Moose Cow

2 of the elk needed 2 shots as did the moose, but with the moose he was dead, just didn't want him dying in a bog. Everything else has been 1 shot. (Either 130 partitions, or 129 grain barnes - i don't like the larger bullets in the 270) The action is like butter and has never failed me, jammed, or failed to fire. If the outfitter hadn't shared concerns (some unfounded in my opinion) I would be taking it for my Northern BC Moose hunt.

Has to be my first centerfire rifle I bought. A Winchester M70 Classic Stainless. It started life as a 7 mag and got rebuilt to a 300 win mag when a friend went through gunsmith school in Denver and needed rifles to work on. I shot that barrel out eventually and it now wears a 264WM barrel. I love the 264 and it has decorated my home and filled my freezers for a lot of years. It has a Leupold VX-6 3-18x50 with the CDS and a custom walnut thumbhole stock that fits me very well. I have a turret on it set for the 140gr Berger VLD and it will ring the 10" gong reliably further than I'll shoot at game. That bullet is hard to beat when the wind is strong.

The Rifles Inc 300WM I had built last year is becoming a favorite very fast and will get used a lot in the future. It has the same action and trigger as the 264 but is much lighter. 7lbs 4oz ready to hunt with a Swaro 3.5-18x44, Talley rings & bases, ammo, and sling. I took my muley at 358yds with it last fall. It has a turret set up for 180gr accubonds and shoots them very well. When I do my part the first shot from a cold barrel hits a perfect dead center 2" high off my 100yd bench every time. It will do that in 10 or 100 degree weather and with the barrel clean or dirty. I love rifles like that.

The 264 is the flat country muley, whitetail, and antelope rifle. The 300 is the mountain or big critter gun. On flat country hunts the 300 is the back-up for the 264, and I have a light 270 win built off a Kimber 84L that's my back-up mountain gun. The 270 is a great rifle but the 4.5-14x VXIII scope on it doesn't hang with the scopes on the other 2 in low light so it gets used less. It's been completely reliable for many years so it's a perfect scope for the back-up rifle. These 3 cover my big game hunting and anytime I'm trophy hunting I'll likely be packing one of the 3.

In order of most to least used rifles:
-Ruger M77 Hawkeye 358 Win
-Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker 300 Win Mag
-Tikka T3 Stainless 7mm-08

Honorable Mention:
-CZ 550 American Kevlar 9.3x62
-Remington 700 BDL 25-06

Sauer 202 30-06 zeiss v8 1.8-14
This is my allround goto rifle.

So happy about it. That I bought another one in 8x68S equipped with an armasight night vision scope for night hunting.

3rd is my varmint and paperpuncher rem700 rebuilt in 6.5x47lapua

95adb2403e6faf64417cff3c1de8ca9b.jpg
bcf94e55724e50f749a3eca66563199d.jpg
22c4be5f42ebeb10bf39114673574ea3.jpg

Sendt fra min SM-G930F med Tapatalk

All fine looking rifles. The Sauer is a fine piece of workmanship that will get the job done. I must say that the 8X68S is a cartridge that is under-appreciated. It can be an eye-opener on game. I do love seeing the cans; pity that in Canada our governments protect us from ourselves and forbid their use.

Most used is an old Remington 788 in 6 mm Remington. Bought it in college and ran to all the neighboring states deer hunting for years. Don't know how many deer that rifle got. 1 black bear with it too. (Yeah, I may have missed a few classes :grin: )it still shoots just fine.
Second is my first 257 Weatherby. What a cannon I thought it was.
A 30-06 I no longer own would have been third going way back.
Now one of the wildcats usually gets the nod. Usually a 6.5-06 or 260 AI.

Since 90% of my hunting is for deer and Hogs here in Texas I have found my 700 Mountain rifle in 708 fulfills my every need. I know this is a Nosler forum but since I shoot Hornady 139 GMX superformance (three shots half an inch) I can't complain. I've ceased loading for that caliber. It was blueprinted, pillar bedded, timney trigger and new crown by Jack Smith Cherokee rifleworks Crosby Texas. Everything I pulled the trigger on has died with mlone shot. My two new favorites are a model 38 Swedish Mauser custom in 6.5 by 55 and a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor. Not much experience on game but accuracy impresses me. Especially the 6.5 by 55 with 160 grain round-nose that I was fortunate to find through Mid-South. It was a built as a Manlicher full stocked 22" barrel by a good friend of mine in Schulenburg Texas. Ed's good just slow. 9 years to get this rifle back. He's currently building me a original Remington Rolling Block in 4570 as a number one sporter to hunt bison in Nebraska. The Ruger American shoots five shots in three quarters of an inch all day long shooting the factory 143 eld-x. Can't wait to try it on Whitetail and big hogs this year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

mwess1113 - GREAT buck! And GAP sure knows how to build one heck of a rifle.

Congrats on both the buck, and the rifle!

Regards, Guy

Back