Your plans for this falls hunts

scotty,

My load is 64.0 of RL22, wlrm primer, 130 gr. Partition bullet. I won't load anything different for an antelope hunt, although I have some 140 ABs. The rifle is a SS/Syn. 24" Weatherby Vanguard carrying a 4-12 Vortex. I put a Basic-one trigger in and it made a lota difference over the original one. Good luck on your fall season,

Jim

Kodiak":3pst6yju said:
scotty,

My load is 64.0 of RL22, wlrm primer, 130 gr. Partition bullet. I won't load anything different for an antelope hunt, although I have some 140 ABs. The rifle is a SS/Syn. 24" Weatherby Vanguard carrying a 4-12 Vortex. I put a Basic-one trigger in and it made a lota difference over the original one. Good luck on your fall season,

Jim

RL22 is king in my 270WSM also. MagPro is really good with the 130's though. Can't beat the 270WSM and the 130's. Talk about a true flatliner. Scotty

Already did a black bear/wolf hunt and didn't connect with either up in AK this spring. This fall I have buck pronghorn and mule deer, and cow elk tags to fill.

Reloder28":1gtsyf5e said:
My fall hunting plan is to go postal on as many hogs as I can with my 45 Colt SBH Hunter.

Nice, now that sounds like FUN! Scotty

Well the draw results came out on the 15th of this month. I am a winner but a loser as well. I was drawn for anterless Elk @ the farm which is going to be fun because there are only 25 tags handed out. But I was advised that because I was drawn that I would not be able to go up to our usual hunt because it is a open season. I ask for the ruling in writing because I don't think it is fair if I want to go up with my friends and help them out for the week it should be allowed as long as I do not carry a weapon.
I think it is a urban legend so I ask for a letter showing where in the game act it states that a person can't go if he or her does not have a tag.

Hopefully I will be able to make it for open Moose this year as none of us were drawn.

Blessings,
Dan

Dan,

I agree that this sounds strange. Hopefully, you'll get it sorted out quickly. Best of luck this fall.

Hey Doc, I hope that you have started to think about some good loads for 225 ABs in that 35 whelen. I have never used anything but IMR in my first Whelen but I have been told that Reloader 15 might be the way to go now.
I spoke with my wife yesterday about the new rifle and she advised me to go for it, as I might not ever get the opportunity again. Do u think the leupold VX3 with CDS is a good choice or should I look at something else?

Blessings,
Dan

RL15 is an excellent powder. I was having good success with A2520 and 225 grain bullets as well. The VX3 and CDS would look right smart atop your Whelen and it would work very well for you. I do believe that the VX3 3.5-10X40 is just about right. I have a Kahles 3-9X42 on mine. I am picking up a VX6 2-12X42, which is possibly another fine choice, depending on pricing.

sask boy

I have a M700 Classic 35 Whelen with a Vari X III 2.5-8x36mm. This set up has proven its self time again for the ability to shoot up close or out to 300 yds. The newer VX-3 series is very bright and either the 2.5-8x36mm or 3.5-10x40mm with the CDS dial will work very nicely for you.

The 225 gr AB or the 225 gr PT/ 250 gr PT are excellent bullets to use. RL 15 is the powder to use. My current load is with the 250 gr PT and 59.0 grs of RL 15. Accuracy is excellent.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15825&start=0

JD338

I could not agree more with Jim and Mike. RL15 and the Whelen were meant for one another. I am running 60gr's of Rl15 under the 250gr PT and run about 2620-2650 in mine. I get pheneominal accuracy and excellent speed. The same load with the 225gr TSX went into the mid 2700's with ease. I would think 2800 should be possible out of the Whelen with a 24" barrel and a 225. I have a 3x9 Leupold on my rifle, but a 2.5x8 or something similar would really allow you to stretch the Whelen to 400 yards with ease. Good luck, I love the Whelen, it is a Mack truck of a cartridge. Scotty

sask boy":53nobnjf said:
Hey Doc, I hope that you have started to think about some good loads for 225 ABs in that 35 whelen. I have never used anything but IMR in my first Whelen but I have been told that Reloader 15 might be the way to go now.
I spoke with my wife yesterday about the new rifle and she advised me to go for it, as I might not ever get the opportunity again. Do u think the leupold VX3 with CDS is a good choice or should I look at something else?

Blessings,
Dan

Most people like RL 15 in their Whelens in my gun Varget was much more consistant with good speed. Nosler max is 60.5 gr for 2800 fps I stopped at 60 gr for 2763 fps in a 22" barrel. Between RL 15 and Varget you should be able to find a good load.

Thanks Scotty & Gerry, I will take all the advice I can get. I know that between the guys on this forum we will figure out something that should scare some animals. I am going to miss my regular hunt this fall as we have been lucky enough 5 Elk in the last 3 years. But it will be nice as the farm is only 2 hours away and I have hunted that area for over 30 years. I am hoping for the opportunity to get in a regular season Moose hunt this year as none of the group got drawn.
The late season for draw Elk at the farm is mid December maybe I will get lucky and have the Whelen by then but that is stretching it. :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

Looking forward to hearing about your Whelen. Seems like Ramshots TAC is a good one too. Scotty

I understand in the US you get tags to hunt, but I imagined you just applied to the local countryside authority & bought them. It's not a system we have in the UK & I guess I don't yet understand how it works over the pond.
Does someone want to explain?

Here in the UK we buy our hunting one way or another, without any restriction other than being able to afford to pay.
I have been in a syndicate for 27 years now & we jointly lease 10,000 acres in SW Scotland, with a cottage. On the land we have Red deer (Stags & Hinds), Roe deer (Much smaller species)
Feral Goat & Fox. We can shoot what we want in any numbers as long as we manage what's there so there's more to shoot next year.
So, we cull carefully & mostly sell the venison. I guess we shoot around 60 deer each year between us, probably the same number of goat & maybe 10-12 Fox.
We also buy commercial hunting. With this, we don't own the venison. We just pay for hunting Red Hinds @ approx. £130 each & Stags £350 each depending on 'Points' (Antler Tines) could be much more...i.e. A stag with 12 points is a 'Royal' & you might have to pay upward of £1000/$1600 to pull the trigger on it.

My plan for this autumn (Fall) is to get to the cottage at Cairnsmore of Fleet around the 1st two weeks of October just as the rut is starting to hear the stags roaring & just maybe, get lucky & stalk at least one.

Attachments

• '07 003.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 630
In British Columbia, there are a total of eight regions designated by the Ministry of the Environment. Each region is divided into zones. Game animals are designated within each zone for hunting. If the game animals is plentiful, residents are permitted to purchase a tag to hunt those species on crown land or private land with permission. Most of the land is crown land, and any resident of the province can hunt the permitted species provided they have the appropriate tag (permit). In order to purchase a tag, the individual will have had to take a conservation course (hunter education). In order to carry a firearm (rifle or shotgun), the individual will have had to taken and passed a firearms safety course authorised by the federal government. With a hunter's number, issued after passing the conservation course, the individual can purchase a hunting license ($32 for an annual fee) and required tags for any species they wish to hunt. The basic hunting license permits the resident to hunt upland birds, small game, wolf and coyote. The hunter will be required to purchase a tag for any other species hunted. Some species are more closely regulated, and they are hunted on a draw system in which you apply for a permit, knowing that only a certain number will be drawn for that particular season. Grizzly bears, for instance, are hunted on this system, which is known as a limited entry hunt. Within the region wherein I live, I have opportunity to hunt bull caribou, bull and cow elk, bull moose, buck and doe whitetail, buck and doe mule deer, black bear, rocky mountain bighorn sheep, thinhorn mountain sheep, mountain goat, wolf, cougar, coyote, wolverine, lynx, snowshoe hare, spruce grouse, ruffed grouse, sharp-tailed grouse, ptarmigan, raven, coots, snipe, ducks (pintails, canvasbacks, goldeneye and harlequins) and geese (white fronted, snow, ross, canada and cackling). All these game animals are available to non-residents provided they hire a guide and hunt within the guide-outfitters' territory. This is a copy of the hunting regulations and costs (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1012/docs/Hunting-TrappingSynopsis_1012.pdf).

Thanks DrMike. That's a good synopsis. You really do have a big variety of game to hunt, way more than the UK, with some really big and dangerous game in there.

There are six species of deer in the UK. Large to small, Reds, Sika (Japs), Fallow, Roe, Muntjac & Chinese Water deer. To be able to hunt these the FAC holder needs first to have his firearm certificate 'opened' & permission to buy expanding ammunition, permission of the land owner, be they private, crown or a utility company..i.e. Forestry, Water or other.
Most land owners will want to see 3rd party insurance cover, competance certification & FAC.

Of course, we too have birds for shooting, although these are dominantly laid down for 'Driven shoots'. i.e. Pheasant, duck, partridge. usually shot over farm & woodland.
Other wild birds are shot 'Rough shooting' Ptarmigan, geese, snipe, teal, duck. blackcock, woodcock, etc.

I'll have an extended read at the link to see & understand. Cheers.

"I understand in the US you get tags to hunt, but I imagined you just applied to the local countryside authority & bought them. It's not a system we have in the UK & I guess I don't yet understand how it works over the pond.
Does someone want to explain?"

Things are confusing here in the U.S., because every state manages hunting somewhat differently, and each has their own Fish and Game department, under one name or another. Out west, for a resident it's typically inexpensive to get a license and tag. On the other hand, a non-resident will likely have to pay a pretty penny for that same license and tag. Also, most of the western states hold drawings for the tags. There are limited quotas of tags to be sold, and often more hunters applying for them than tags. Some tags are available as "over the counter" and no drawing is required. For instance I'm hunting deer, elk and bear in Washington this year, without having been successful in any draw.

Some states also have "land owner tags" which the land owner controls. He sells them as he sees fit. Some states also have tags issued to various outfitters or guides, who then sell them as part of their hunt, with no draw required.

In some areas there is a tremendous amount of public land, more or less open to camping, hiking, hunting and fishing within certain limits. For instance the county where I live is about 85% public land.

To really understand the permit systems out west, research must be done on each individual state. Idaho, Washington, Oregon and Montana all run their license and tag sales somewhat differently. Wyoming is different still. A lot of American hunters get a little intimidated by all the red tape, differing regulations and the expense, and don't bother applying for tags in western states.

Regards, Guy

Wow that's sort of complicated Guy. When I took a look at the link DrMike posted, there's a few minutes download time & 120 pages of stuff - now that's a whole lot to get through never mind absorbing it. :roll: I guess if you 'Grow up' with it, the routine is probably more straiightforward.

Over here one either buys the 'Shooting rights' lease thereby renting the land for sporting shooting, owns the land, shoots what they want & doesn't have to pay anyone, or buys commercial shooting of whatever type.
If a land owner, you're in a position to either sell shooting or shooting rights on your land if you don't want to shoot it yourself.
It's all just down to cash once you have your FAC opened for hunting.
Thanks for updating me you guys, I appreciate that.
Cheers.

Back