Loading new cases

Rol_P

Handloader
Nov 23, 2013
After a vacation I am back to reloading for my 30-06. Using new Nosler cases, prepping includes just running the new VLD reamer in the neck to easy the start of the 180 Partitions that I am using. The base to shoulder on the new brass is within .002 - .003" of my as fired cases so I have not full length sized them before testing.
Prior testing of the same load using once fired cases yielded about 75 fps faster loads than the new brass, 2,789 fps vs 2,713 fps. I must admit, small sample velocities.

After cleaning the once fired cases in the Hornady Sonic cleaner I shoot them Hornady One shot lube from a slightly above position, thus allowing a little lube to enter the neck. Is it conceivable that the lube in the once fired case neck causes less neck tension, thus more velocity than the new cases?

Your thoughts on this issue are most appreciated. I think in the interim I will run a Q-Tip with a small amount of One Shot Lube on it into the neck of a few new cases and check the results.

Thanks in advance. Rol

What powder were you using? Could it have been a temp sensitive powder and increased outside temp that may have caused the higher velocity?

I am using IMR 4451 from the same can as the earlier tests. It was tightly capped when I went away. Temp was 80 +/- degrees both days. Same Federal 210 primers also..

Rol-P , I'll have to remember to watch for this . I recently loaded up a bunch of new brass with my pet load . I also still have a bunch of old brass that is many times fired with the identical load , they are getting loose primer pockets . I'll have to run a bunch of both over my chronograph , on the same range trip , to see if I have a trend also . I would think new brass should have a smaller internal capacity so I'd say it should be higher velocity , with everything else being the same . but I wonder if some of the pressure is being used up by expanding the smaller brass out to your chamber causing a lower velocity on first fire .the brass moving is actually cushioning the blow , so to speak . this is interesting to me . if you figure anything out let me know .

you can try to lube inside the necks , just to see what happens .

I will say that I've been messing trying to lower extreme spread on one rifle . doing everything the same except for dipping the bullet base in powder graphite before seating . by dipping the bullet in graphite I have lowered my ES by about 10 FPS . ave velocity stayed the same . this is a small sample so don't take it for truth just yet .

(EDIT ) the graphite dipped bullets are lower ES

another thing you could try is to use one shot and neck size a few new cases to try to get the necks the same as your once fired / resized brass .

EDIT to make it more clear . it didn't read right .

Over coffee with and "Olde Friend" of mine this morning we got discussing my reloading and it jumped up at me that the new brass might have a larger interior neck dimension that what I had sized, so I rushed home after coffee and yes, the majority of new case necks are 0.001" larger than what my sizing die is producing, 0.306" vs 0.305".

I sized some new brass to bring the necks down to 0.305" and loaded three different batches for testing this afternoon. Each batch was new Nosler 30-06, Fed. 210 primer, 56.8gr IMR 4451 topped with Nosler 180 gr Partitions, which were from SPS, but weight sorted 179.8gr - 179.9gr.
The distinction was in neck treatment, all were reamed with a Lyman VLD reamer to give a smooth start to the bullets for seating. One batch left dry, another was lubed with a Q-Tip soaked in Hornady One Shot, the last batch was the sized new brass which had a residual amount of One Shot in the neck from sizing.

First shots were at 100 yds, then I went out to 200yds, the max at our range. The dry neck cases @ 100 yds grouped 0.867" with three shot average velocity of 2,702fps. The other samples were both about 1.75" groups at the same elevation. I am sorry but I have been unsuccessful at posting pictures of these targets.

Going out to 200 yds with the dry neck load my 3 shot group was 1.473" and the average velocity was 2,749 fps. The elevation drop for this load from 100 - 200 yds was 3.8".. I need to investigate if this is to be expected with this load, or is something funny.

Now that I have made some once fired brass I will try duplicating this load to see if/what the difference might be.

Here are Roland's targets from Monday.

100 Yd Target.JPG

200 Yd Target.JPG

The loads WITHOUT any lubrication in the neck look pretty good.

Dan

I was at the range this morning , I needed to foul the bbl on my one rifle . I also took my rifle that I have old brass and new brass loaded up . the old brass has many firings on it , I'd guess around 10 times . the new brass is never fired . both are using brass from the same lot . the exact loads with the same everything . it's Norma brass with the necks turned . so the necks have been expanded and resized . both batches of brass have the same neck thickness . my new brass ave is 53 FPS slower than my fired brass , and just about double the ES . I probably gave about 10 or 15 minutes between these two targets . this is a small sample of only 5 shots from each batch , but it shows a trend .

new brass 5 shots . ( this target had a few holes I taped over , disregard them . )

old brass 5 shots , with the low one being the cold clean bbl .

I never shoot new brass and expect the same results I get with fired brass. Seems like everytime I have tried I end up chasing my tail.

Back