165gr partition and my moose

Beginner
Sep 18, 2006
I changed not a thing from last year - 30-06, 165gr Partition @2,700fps and my old ZG in it's McMillan with Swaro 1.5-6x42 and ASE supressor.

I spotted this fellow bedded down while out stalking clearcuts on day 4. I saw a boulder and checked with the binos just in case - a bull 200yards down the hill, facing away. I made it 10yards into the trees and settled down to wait. The situation was quite tense as he was both facing away and paying attention downhill directly away from me. I decided that I'd take a more facing away shot if I had to because this was likely the only chance I would have.

He got up 45minutes later. In getting up he turned a bit so I shot immediately. I saw the strike, high lung just behind the shoulder. He whirled, fell, bellowed, scrabbled around a bit then lay on his side expiring. However he continued to breathe which worried me. His vitals were obscured by brash so I elected to cover him. After 10minutes there was still some laboured breathing so I approached and finished him as he tried to get up.

The moose are taken to the gamedealer with the chest left intact and not skinned so no proper autopsy. The placement was as per the strike I saw with no exit (a lot of meat and bone at that angle). I surmise that I hit one lung high and forward and grazed the bottom of the spine. The spine dropped him, the one lung bled but not hugely (though there was a LOT of blood in the chest cavity and some from the nose) and the lack of an exit meant the lungs didn't collapse quickly.

One shot kills are great but field scenarios can be tough. I was pleased to get this bull as there were no other chances over the rest of the week.

Attachments

• 2016 moose.jpg
    2016 moose.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 759
Good shootin' with the old 30-06. It keeps putting meat on the table, just like it always did.

Well done.

All the best, Jim

Great story write up and congrats on the shot and getting your Moose!! Got to love the old 30-06 its still doing the job these days!! :wink: You can't argue with the 165 Partitions performance either!

Don

Congrats on a fine looking moose. The 06 may not be a flashy round but it sure gets things done in fine fashion.

Congratulations!

Enjoyed reading your description of why you chose to take that shot, and how the moose reacted.

Looks to me like it reacted by becoming dinnner! (y)

Guy

Good job on a full freezer. That load is the exact same specs as my 308 hunting load. 165gr Partition @ 2750fps. Glad to see its up to the task.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice. Congrats on the moose.

Man, I tell ya, the 30-06 with a 165 Nosler is tough to beat... starting to see the light!

SJB358":23y9oxz6 said:
Very nice. Congrats on the moose.

Man, I tell ya, the 30-06 with a 165 Nosler is tough to beat... starting to see the light!
It's about time you stepped out of the darkness and into the light of wisdom. Feel the 30-06 force travel threw your body young man. :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:

Congrats on the Moose.

Congratulations on the moose, excellent description. Scotty I was going to join the gallery but I won't state the obvious.

Excellent description of a successful hunt. Congratulations on a fine specimen.

Thank you very much for a great story and the photo is fantastic :wink:. There is no doubt that your combination of rifle and bullet have had their fair share of success (y).
There will be some fine eating this fall and winter!

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks for your kind words. The rifle is 60years old next year (well barrel, action, and floorplate). The bore is terribly pitted and the throat half way up the barrel but it is astonishingly accurate if a little down on velocity.

It doesn't look like the moose could tell velocity wasn't too end! I wouldn't change a thing.

Sometimes those experienced rifles never die 8).
I believe DrMike has a 7mm RM that has had around 2,000 round through it & still shoots well (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Closer to 3000, Dan. Still gives me 3/4 MOA with either 175 grain TBBC and 175 grain PT. It has accounted for a few moose, elk and other assorted critters.

Congratulations on your moose, it nice to see when someone is successful in bringing down one of those big beasts. I might have missed it but what country are you hunting in?

Congratulations on your bull moose. At 110 years old, the 30-06 gets the job done.

JD338

Back