Stevens 200

rjm158

Handloader
Oct 15, 2009
I'm familiar with these rifles and their history. What I'm looking for is input from anyone who owned/shot them and has input regarding accuracy.

One of my LGS's has one in 25-06. I've been looking for a lighter weight, loaner, kind of rifle that doesn't break the bank. This one would work but I don't personally know anyone who has personal experience with one.

Thanks in advance.

Ron

I have one in .243 that was my fathers. It is basically the pre accutrigger 110 action(small shank). Accuracy out of the box is second to none. The Tupperware stock is the only down side at all. Barrel changes are quite simple with the proper tools and a set of go no go gauges. My oldest used it to harvest his first two deer and my father dropped quite a with it as well. If I remember right he paid $280 for it new when first released. SAs were 243, 708, and 308 and the LA was 2506, 270 and 3006. A real working man's shooter. Mine shoots 95 BTs sub moa.

Thanks, 26! That's the kind of info I was looking for.

I handled them often when I worked at the gunshop, just didn't have the opportunity to shoot one.

This one is in very good shape and has a Bushnell Banner 6-18x scope in Leupold rings and bases. The trigger isn't horrendous either. The owner said I could have it for $295 out the door. I figured they probably shot well since most Savages do but just wanted to get some verification.

I agree the stocks aren't great but for the purpose I have in mind I'm not too concerned about that.

Ron

That's a great deal, and like I said, a barrel nut wrench, vise, comp lug, A&B barrel, and some gauges and you could have any 06 derivitive you like. All can be had from Brownells or Midway for not much coin.

Never should have traded the one I had! Sub MOA with Winchester silvertip's 7mm-08. Trigger wasn't the best but I know a gunsmith who built several rifles on Savage actions who claimed after one of his trigger jobs they were preferable to an accu-trigger. Only problem I had was needing extended rings to mount my cheap Bushnell. Other than that and the fact that the Tupperware stock kicked me WAY to hard I shoulda kept it and worked up a low recoil 120 Gr load. I liked...FWIW CL

I have or have had 4 savages. A 110 FP 308, a standard 110 .243, the Stevens and also still have a a very early model 16 300 WSM(4 digit serial, they were the first outside of winny to chamber it). They are without a doubt the best shooting out of the box rifles on the market. All were sub moa shooters that have accounted for numerous game over the years. Buy it and you will not be sorry.

I own several and they shoot really well, but all of them have custom barrels. Except my daughter's .223 that she has used to kill a couple of deer and several prairie dogs. I've hardly shot it but it's accurate enough.for my daughter to.get the job done. I'm not complaining.

cloverleaf":26024xte said:
Never should have traded the one I had! Sub MOA with Winchester silvertip's 7mm-08. Trigger wasn't the best but I know a gunsmith who built several rifles on Savage actions who claimed after one of his trigger jobs they were preferable to an accu-trigger. Only problem I had was needing extended rings to mount my cheap Bushnell. Other than that and the fact that the Tupperware stock kicked me WAY to hard I shoulda kept it and worked up a low recoil 120 Gr load. I liked...FWIW CL

CL, I sure wish Winchester would do a limited edition run of Silvertips in the basic popular calibers once more. I killed my first buck with one in a .300 Savage back in the early 1990's. They were a pretty darned good bullet.

Dale

CL, I sure wish Winchester would do a limited edition run of Silvertips in the basic popular calibers once more. I killed my first buck with one in a .300 Savage back in the early 1990's. They were a pretty darned good bullet.

Dale[/quote]

Dale, I did the same at about the same time but mine was with a 150 .308 Win.

Ron

Back