338 225 gr AB

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
Recovered 225 gr AB's from a 338 RUM into water jugs. MV 3100 fps.
338RUM225grAB1.jpg

338RUM225grAB2.jpg

JD338

That mirrors Scotty's posting. Great performance that gives confidence to serious hunters.

DrMike":c48x77z7 said:
That mirrors Scotty's posting. Great performance that gives confidence to serious hunters.

Without a doubt Mike. They are very good bullets as well. They run a close 2nd to my favorite. Scotty

Here is my 225 AB collection.
SU1BRzAxNzAuanBn.jpg

The three on the left were recovered from a 6x6 bull at 425 yards, the two in the middle were from a Kudu (75 yards), and an Impala (75 yards quartering away), and the one on the right was from the chem jug test today. The one from the jug test penetrated two jugs, and weighs 141.3 gr. All in all I really like this bullet. I was very bothered by the fact that they didn't blow through a Kudu and Impala at 75 yards, but they sure do a great job on when they are moving!

Those are some sweet recoveries Jake. Never used the 225 AB but it seems like a solid bullet for big animals. Gotta take alot to slow one down. Scotty

Hey Jim, do you rember how many jugs these 225s poked through compared to the 250. I'm having a very heated debate with myself on which AB to shoot out of my new project. It will be a dedicated elk/bear rifle. Should push the 225 in the 3000-3100 range, and I think it will get the 250 in the 2900 range.

HA! Jake, you have had such great luck with the 225 I can't imagine it ever letting you down. I do know that 250 AB really impressed me with it's accuracy in my 338 though.. Seems like you can't loose to yourself with this one! I would shoot whichever one you can get the cheapest as 2nds!

I have had a much harder time getting the 225 to shoot though. The 250's seemed to shoot well with about everything. Probably just my rifle.

I don't think it is your rifle scotty. Mine shot the 185 XLC, 225 TSX/TTSX, and 200 ET all pretty easy. It took A LOT of work to get the 225 AB to shoot good.

jmad_81":24d2lvu1 said:
SU1BRzAxNzAuanBn.jpg

The three on the left were recovered from a 6x6 bull at 425 yards, the two in the middle were from a Kudu (75 yards), and an Impala (75 yards quartering away), and the one on the right was from the chem jug test today. The one from the jug test penetrated two jugs, and weighs 141.3 gr. All in all I really like this bullet. I was very bothered by the fact that they didn't blow through a Kudu and Impala at 75 yards, but they sure do a great job on when they are moving!
Thanks for putting up your 225 AB collection. I just ordered 3 boxes of federal 225 Ab 338 ultra on sale from midway because I don't handload. I purchased this load partly because of information I got from this wonderful site and the great bullet tests you guys do. Your collection shows the 225 AB expands way out there and stays together up close but of course you guys already knew that. Kudu are big and the Impala was a quartering shot. I don't hunt anything over 500 pounds so the performance is perfect for me.Do you know the muzzle velocity of the 225 ABs in your collection ? I also purchased some federal 338 win. mag 180 AB after seeing the damage it did to that deer elsewhere on the 338 bullet tests. Has anyone tested the 338 180 AB in the jugs or clocked either of the two types of ammo I purchased? Thanks, Boliodogs.

My .338 Federal factory ammo chrono's at about 2670 fps for the 200 grain ammo (softpoint). This is in a 22 inch barreled Sako 85. In the same rifle with 180 grain handloads, I get about 2740 fps.

boliodogs":241ra2tq said:
jmad_81":241ra2tq said:
SU1BRzAxNzAuanBn.jpg

Thanks for putting up your 225 AB collection. I just ordered 3 boxes of federal 225 Ab 338 ultra on sale from midway because I don't handload. I purchased this load partly because of information I got from this wonderful site and the great bullet tests you guys do. Your collection shows the 225 AB expands way out there and stays together up close but of course you guys already knew that. Kudu are big and the Impala was a quartering shot. I don't hunt anything over 500 pounds so the performance is perfect for me.Do you know the muzzle velocity of the 225 ABs in your collection ? I also purchased some federal 338 win. mag 180 AB after seeing the damage it did to that deer elsewhere on the 338 bullet tests. Has anyone tested the 338 180 AB in the jugs or clocked either of the two types of ammo I purchased? Thanks, Boliodogs.

Glad to have you aboard buddy.. Sounds like you have a cool combo.

I would bet the 225 AB started in the 2800-2850 range, but Jake will be along to answer it up.

at least you recover them. i shot a spike bull @ 671yds. this year in the neck with a 225 ab outta my 338 rum . once again no bullet recovery. vertebrae looked to be exploded. 2 bulls shot in the neck in 2 yrs at over 600 on both with no recovery. i am not complaining these are superb bullets.

str8meat":2o18l5oe said:
at least you recover them. i shot a spike bull @ 671yds. this year in the neck with a 225 ab outta my 338 rum . once again no bullet recovery. vertebrae looked to be exploded. 2 bulls shot in the neck in 2 yrs at over 600 on both with no recovery. i am not complaining these are superb bullets.

I dunno', str8meat, that sounds like classic bullet failure if you didn't recover a bullet. :mrgreen:

the good thing is that the bulls were recovered and eaten. the bullets have never really tasted that well :mrgreen:

str8meat":3f3j75g3 said:
the good thing is that the bulls were recovered and eaten. the bullets have never really tasted that well :mrgreen:

+1 Yeah, I never cared all that much for bullet in my elk. Good job.

The bullet in the chem jug test was going right at 2800. I believe the others were more in the 2850 range.

I have also shot a big black bear with the 225 AB out of a 338 Edge (3250fps). @ 600 yards, it blew right through. They are a pretty dang good bullet.

jmad_81":wqkz48xm said:
SU1BRzAxNzAuanBn.jpg

>>>>I know I'm ridiculously late w/ my reply. I had two 225 partitions recovered from a 5X5 bull.muz vel 2,930. .338 WM. impact distance was 125 or so. both bullets were recovered under the hide as well. about 80% weight retention. the hide is just so elastic it apparently can stretch out and absorb the energy. would be cool to see how far it pops out on the far side !!!!!

I am launching these at 3080 fps from my 340 Bee. Should do ok on elk!

FOTIS":8e5tchvq said:
I am launching these at 3080 fps from my 340 Bee. Should do ok on elk!

I'd say so! That's a killer load right there Fotis! Dang!

Back