115 PT in 25-06

Slimfinn

Handloader
Nov 28, 2018
Okay so I'm not sure who all remembers back to the beginning of Covid, SPS was selling the 115 and some 120gr Partitions that were developed more for a 257 roberts in a shorter action that weren't as sleek as the normal 115 PTs, i will add a comparison photo i took when I got them. I bought a pile of them and think thats what i will load for the daughter's 25-06. Now I know the BC is less, but with the ranges she will be shooting for now it really wont be an issue. As long as they will shoot in the rifle, do you foresee any reason not to use them?
I guess i am assuming that they were not designed for a slower velocity and will hold together like any other Partition? Thoughts

Attachments

• 20210323_112445.jpg
    20210323_112445.jpg
    651.6 KB · Views: 8
Boy those look like the 120gr Parts. with the high cannelure that Midway was selling as overruns last fall. I bought some to try in my 25 Creed and they didn’t do very well.

SF, I'd use the heck out of them and not worry a darned bit. Heck, I'd smile knowing the deal you got with them.

RL22 and 115 Partitions at 3200 was a great combo for me a few years back.

I bought several bags of those that were on SPS a while back. You are correct in stating that they are shorter and meant to work in things like the Roberts when housed in a short action. You might find that they are well off the lands when seated anywhere near the base of the neck on something like a 25-06, but that's neither here nor there. As long as they shoot good for you they are the same Partition otherwise.

I only remember the 120 gr PT.
My 257 Roberts is a long action M700 Classic and I load the 115 gr BT long as I have a ton of room in the magazine.
Yup, load them up and don't look back.

JD338

I've noticed the same thing with all of the current lots of the 115s; I'm fairly certain they switched their design. Federal uses them for their 25-06 Premium loads as well. I've been able to find the old style every now and then at mom and pops stores in old boxes. The sleeker design has been a proven killer for me at close and far ranges. The more stubby one has done just as well with a lower test batch. I wouldn't hesitate to use either.

IMG-4801.jpg

Last edited:
B.C. doesn’t really become a significant factor until you get past 300 yard mark. Unless you anticipate your daughter shooting at that range or greater I’d load them and let her hunt and take game with them. Neither will know the difference.

Back