160 Accubond from a 280 Ackley...

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008
Recovered one tonight, from a doe taken at 210 yards.

Recovered weight is 107 grains, impact velocity was 2,650 fps...

The doe was nearly facing directly at me, bullet hit directly into her right shoulder and was recovered in that little space in the pelvis where the bladder is.

I'll add it pics later.

Sixty-seven percent weight retention--not bad. Great penetration as well. I assume expansion was significant.

Cool recovery RR. Looks like it got into some bone as well. Love that 160 AB in my 7mm MSM.

Looks like it had a bit of a rough ride and hung together well. That is why I like bonded lead core bullets.

Lynn,

Congratulations on the doe. That was some fine shooting and a great catch.
The 160 gr AB penetrates deep, about 30" in this case.

JD338

The 280AI, it just doesn't get any better than that (y). The AccuBond & the 284 calibre just seem to go together like peanut butter & jam :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

A nice 8 pointer caught one launched from my 7 WSM at 3,000 ft/sec. Retained bullet weight was 94gr IIRC. It took a heavy bone to stop the 160 AB even at 360 yds. The buck was DRT.

The bullet was a "blem" but no one seemed to notice.

Charlie-NY":2h6cny8p said:
A nice 8 pointer caught one launched from my 7 WSM at 3,000 ft/sec. Retained bullet weight was 94gr IIRC. It took a heavy bone to stop the 160 AB even at 360 yds. The buck was DRT.

It's a great bullet. Can't say enough good about it. Blew through one elk from my MSM and Bill caught one from his bull in Oregon from his 7 Rem Mag. They are insanely accurate as well. At least from my gun.

SJB358":1pkfvsku said:
Charlie-NY":1pkfvsku said:

It's a great bullet. Can't say enough good about it. Blew through one elk from my MSM and Bill caught one from his bull in Oregon from his 7 Rem Mag. They are insanely accurate as well. At least from my gun.

They are accurate indeed! I am getting 3000 fps from my 24" barrel 280AI and well under .5 MOA.
This group went .092" at 100 yds.
280AI.jpg

JD338

Guess I'll throw this in with this thread, it fits...

I haven't touched the trigger on a rifle since deer season, been shooting trap and skeet.

Tomorrow is the day though, I've got a couple jugs, some poster board, and a few rounds left from the deer season loads.

I'm gonna try something I've never done, a video... There won't be much commentary, I'm not a big talker... But I'm gonna bust a milk jug at 600 yards using a 160 AccuBond, on video.

Not really fascinating, just thought I'd try a video, lol...I've done a lot of talking about long range shooting on this and other forums, sometimes I get the vibe that some folks think I can't actually walk the walk.

600 yards, cold bore (gun hadn't been fired since last December), 280 Ackley Improved, Nosler 160 grain AccuBond bullet, muzzle velcocity 3,020 fps, impact velocity 2,020 fps....the shot is at the 25 second mark in the video.

Conditions...light and variable wind (3-8 mph), 82 degrees, humidity 47%...dialed up 8.75 MOA, waited on the wind to drop, and let her rip....pretty straightforward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W-vZoU1NPA

You done good. Never questioned your ability. Appreciate those who actually shoot at distance rather than talking about it.

DrMike":xtz9xbtc said:
You done good. Never questioned your ability. Appreciate those who actually shoot at distance rather than talking about it.

Thank You Mike...

It wasn't anybody here, I just wrote the post and copied and pasted it to everywhere else.

And yes, lots of people talk about it even though they struggle to hit at 200-300 yards....Not knocking that fact that some struggle at 200-300 yards (there was a time when I did too)....just irritates me when people apply their limitations to me, and others like me...600 yards is a chip shot, my wife and/or 9 year son could make that shot, because I've passed on my experience to them...made them get there much quicker than I did, lol.

Took me near 15 years and thousands of rounds (shot out a few barrels) to get where I could pull off a 600 yard field shot and hit the kill zone of a deer every time, all the time....well, 19 out of 20 anyway (y)

Having said that.....this shot wasn't made from a field position...I shot from a Bulls Bag and a rear bag, off the hood of the truck.

Hit the jug dead center, 2" high

Back