.223 caliber for hunting

Sandman3022

Beginner
Aug 25, 2006
Do any of you hunters hunt with the .223? If so, do the deer drop or do they leave a long blood trail when shot in the neck?

I have finished buying all of my ingredients for loading the 60gr PT and I bought a Ruger Mini-14 at a gun show this weekend. I have a Colt AR-15 HBAR set up for competion shooting, but it's too heavy to tote around for hunting. I thought this new Mini-14 would be light enough for my son to start off with. Plus, I think they're a blast and you can shoot farely cheap.

I will say I have seen many muleys average size forked horn or 3x3 fall to .222's and .223's out to 200-250 yards. I dont feel like starting a fiasco, they will work, however there is better. 60g Partition is a smart choice. Believe it or not, all the deer I've seen shot and drop was from 55g Btips or vmaxes. One other note, they did not "run off" they simply dropped at the shot. I'm not saying they were dead, but they got knocked off there feet to where they weren't going anywhere.

The 22 calibers can and will kill deer with perfect shot placement. The 60 gr PT would be the best bullet to use.

However, the 22 calibers are not big game calibers. There are many rounds that are much better suited for hunting deer size game. If your son starts off hunting with a 223 Rem and cleanly kills a deer, that would be good. But a kid taking his first shot at a deer will be a bit unnerving and the chance of wounding and loosing a deer has to be considered.
I doubt if there will be much, if any, blood trail.

Great that you are getting your son involved in hunting, better to get him started off right by using a bigger caliber, one that is used for deer hunting.

JD338

If you do decide to look for a different caliber, I would recomend looking at a Remington model 7 youth rifle, in .243. My son uses this and doesn't seem to have a flinch from shooting it. the 243 with a 95 gr Btip will drop a deer in it's tracks. Again with proper shot placement.

Where I'm from you can't use anything under 24 caliber for hunting deer. The 243 is a great caliber and I've taken my share of deer with one. After seeing what a not so good shot can do however, I'm starting my son out this year with a 7mm-08 just for the extra assurance.

Sean,

Good choice to go with a 7mm-08.
Consider the 120 gr BT. Light recoil and very effective on deer. :wink:

JD338

Yup! My boy's 7mm-08 / 120 BT's accounted for 3 antelope last year. Distances were from 70 -300+ yards. All were bang/flop.
Load was with Varget at 3100 fps.

JDMAG":29nwnzvt said:
Well I always said biggers better! :wink:

Bigger is better. Theres no replacemant for dispalcement. :wink:

JD338

I haven't shot anything bigger than jackrabbits with my 223, but when testing bullets I found that the Barns XLC bullets were the slowest expanding bullets that I have ever shot. You can shoot a jack, and hit as much meat and bone possible, and only leave a 1'' to 1 1/2'' exit channel. I also found that this bullet works really well with about 25.7g of Benckmark, this is .8g below max. Groups ran from .4 to.6 inches

Do we really need 22 cal accubonds now? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Since we brought up the Remington model 7......how about a .260 ?
Wife has taken 3 cow elk....last one at 320yrds.....bang flop !

I had a couple of 260's they are nice.
I got 3300 fps with the 100 gr BT's and Partitions and 2700+ with the 140 Partition.

Yes, it will work although I would rather use a bigger round. I know of about 200 Whitetail Deer being killed by 223's. One hunter killed 114 & 0 lost Deer, One that killed about 60, he lost one fir sure & I think maybe another & me and my brothers killed 17 several years ago & we did not lose any & we shot only under ideal circumstances. That was 15 or more years ago for me & my brothers & we have not taken any without using a 25cal or more ever since. Most of these 200 Deer were average Ozark Deer, 125-160#, but some were large River Bottom Bucks going 175 to well over 200#.

To me you limit your opportunities two ways: 1. Distance: To keep the energy level high with a 223, I would shoot at 100 yards or less.
2. Angles: With the exception of the NP, TSX & Swift, I* would do rib cage only & use care with these 3 bullets as to the bullet path.
If it is up close & a ribcage shot, you can drop any Deer with the better bullets, BUTTTTT

When you put these limitations together, it means you would have to turn down alot of shots & I say why do that?

But if you need to use a 223, here is some good stuff about the 60NP!!!
www.gunsandhunting.com/articles/bullet_ ... sbone.html

Back