26 Nosler ?

Nosler should be very and I mean very happy with this intentional leak of a new cartridge in 6.5 cal.
This thing is all over the internet and speculation is very high. People are trying their best to figure out what the dimensions are going to be so they can get brass and build rifles for it. With the leak of the 1-8" twist they figure the barrels will be made by Pac Nor.
If they would offer it in a rifle under $1000 it will sell like hot cakes.

truck driver":jvtgq02s said:
Nosler should be very and I mean very happy with this intentional leak of a new cartridge in 6.5 cal.
This thing is all over the internet and speculation is very high. People are trying their best to figure out what the dimensions are going to be so they can get brass and build rifles for it. With the leak of the 1-8" twist they figure the barrels will be made by Pac Nor.
If they would offer it in a rifle under $1000 it will sell like hot cakes.

It would be very interesting to see Nolser put out a rifle a little more budget friendly to compete in todays market. I am saving hard for a TGR, but if they could forego the cerakote, and possibly produce their own barrels I think they would have a real winner.

Just a thought. The TGR is a hell of a rifle as is, and this new cartridge paired with it will be an absolute LR hammer.

I keep reading the posts and going back to the OP and pic.

Sure sounds like a 6.5 STW, but the part about non-belted and standard '06 length action has me scratching my head.

I sure hope HTDUCK doesn't see this. :lol:

Hmmm... Might be able to do a single-shot on the WSM Model 70... Could be just a re-barrel job, I'm thinking.

Worth a thought. I don't mind a single-shot rifle, not at all.

Then I'd have to buy a mess of 6.5 bullets though - don't have any!

Guy

Guy Miner":2xzge8kp said:
Hmmm... Might be able to do a single-shot on the WSM Model 70... Could be just a re-barrel job, I'm thinking.

Worth a thought. I don't mind a single-shot rifle, not at all.

Then I'd have to buy a mess of 6.5 bullets though - don't have any!

Guy

I like hearing the gears turn.

I would bet a worn out 7mm, 300, or whatever magnum would make an awesome donor. I'd like to have some space for seating those 140's out long..

Guy, not sure when the WSM came out. Thinking if prior to the FN buy out the action could be standard length with a magazine block to shorten the magazine length for use with shorter cartridges.
My M70 has the CRPF bolt which was used before 2006 to fix a feed problem with the WSM round.
Which bolt configuration do you have, CRF , PF or CRPF?

Scotty, do you remember your conversation with Charlee on a different forum about her custom pair of matching rifles , the 8 x 68S and the 6.5 x 68. ? The 6.5 x 68 is very similar to the new Nosler 26. Her rifle has a 1 x 8 twist, with a 26 inch barrel and she shoots 160 woodleighs with it on heavy bodied plains game, but from memory also likes to use 140 AB s .

You will have naysayers of this round complain about barrel life. I say "hogwash" to the barrel life concern. How many people that will use this cartridge for hunting are concerned about the barrel life of a rifle that will probably and easily give you 1000 to 1500 rounds down the tube, before you might have a concern. Possibly a competition long range target shooter might have some concern, but as a hunter, I would not.

The new Nosler 26 should be an excellent addition to their already fine product line

Interesting thread and new round from Nosler. I noticed in reading the replies that Rigbymauser and Africa huntress both referred to the 6.5 x 68. I think the round is still used in Europe and Africa quite a bit, but I have no knowledge of anyone using one here in the states.

I also saw a post from Scotty on a different forum and now one from Aleena here discussing barrel life of the Nosler 26. I agree with both of them, but was curious if anyone has any concern regarding the barrel life of the new Nosler 26 and why

I bet someone will wear out a barrel in less than 500 rounds and then the cartridge will be known as a "barrel burner" you all know those internet type experts :roll: With reasonable care it should last much longer than that.

alaska100":1n2qf48l said:
but was curious if anyone has any concern regarding the barrel life of the new Nosler 26 and why

No more concern than with other "overbore" cartridges that tend to run through barrels in a hurry.

The .257 Weatherby mag & .220 Swift come to mind right away. Still, I'd think the .26 Nosler should be good for at least 1,000 rounds of accurate barrel life. Just a guess though.

Guy

Sean,
the 6.5 x 68 is still used in Africa. With a 160 gr bullet, it is a hammer on game, as will the Nosler 26

Guy, and Gerry,

Exactly! I agree with you both. Your truck wears out and you repair it , get a new motor, or replace it. Your horse wears out and you put him out to pasture and get a new one, I am sure most of you have replaced at least one of your T.V. s over the last twenty years. Buy the Nosler 26, enjoy it and when it wears out, replace the barrel or buy a new one, but you wont need to do that for quite a few years if you take care of it. I was trying to think what has been the worse for us and possibly it is the 244 H & H. But we shoot it maybe twenty to thirty times a year and it probably has 350/400 rounds down the tube and is still going strong, but the barrel will eventually burn out and then we will replace it.

The only thing I haven't replaced--yet--is Jerry (-:

Agree Aleena.

Barrels are like tires, even the good ones wear out eventually.

Hot rod cars wear out tires faster. Same with hot rod cartridges.

Shoot 'em! That's what they're for.

Guy

Africa Huntress":2gqxcnpg said:
Sean,
the 6.5 x 68 is still used in Africa. With a 160 gr bullet, it is a hammer on game, as will the Nosler 26

Guy, and Gerry,

Exactly! I agree with you both. Your truck wears out and you repair it , get a new motor, or replace it. Your horse wears out and you put him out to pasture and get a new one, I am sure most of you have replaced at least one of your T.V. s over the last twenty years. Buy the Nosler 26, enjoy it and when it wears out, replace the barrel or buy a new one, but you wont need to do that for quite a few years if you take care of it. I was trying to think what has been the worse for us and possibly it is the 244 H & H. But we shoot it maybe twenty to thirty times a year and it probably has 350/400 rounds down the tube and is still going strong, but the barrel will eventually burn out and then we will replace it.

The only thing I haven't replaced--yet--is Jerry (-:

Poor Jerry! :mrgreen:

There is a price to pay when you buy performance.
I would agree with you and the others about barrel life. 1000-1500 rounds in a hunting rifle is a fair amount of shooting. I would think Nosler would assist getting it rebarreled if needed.

JD338

Man, poor ol' Jerry gets a lot of abuse. Someone needs to say something good about the man. Hang in there, Jerry. You''re not wearing out; you're just gaining more experience. :mrgreen:

gerry":3bxxb3zq said:
I bet someone will wear out a barrel in less than 500 rounds and then the cartridge will be known as a "barrel burner" you all know those internet type experts :roll: With reasonable care it should last much longer than that.
I hear that. I have 400+ through my 223 WSSM and no throat erosion so far. Must have been luck according to the internet experts...

Never mind the fact that I clean it religiously after each use.

I think it'd be a nice cartridge. Not sure I'm ready to give up my 264 yet but who knows in a few years.

I'm interested in the comments concerning this cartridge being a barrel burner. Drag racers need frequent tire changes. Fast cars require motor changes rather frequently. Cartridges that push bullets fast require attention to the throats and new barrels more frequently than other cartridges. Care and attention, avoiding shooting the rifle until it blisters you hand, all go a long way toward maintaining barrels and avoiding throat erosion.

Mike - there's a dedicated crew out there who are firm in their belief that a barrel can't be worn out.

I submit that either they haven't actually shot much, or their accuracy standards aren't very high, or both.

Yes, a hot-rod/high performance cartridge wears out the throat of a barrel faster. Absolutely. And yes, it can happen in under 1,000 rounds, depending on the cartridge and how the rifle is used. Some folks simply don't believe that, but I suspect that they're not experienced in high-volume center-fire rifle shooting, like varmints or in competition.

The .26 Nosler though is likely to be used as a long-range, medium or big game cartridge, not a high-volume shooter.

A thousand rounds from a hunting rifle is a LOT of ammo.

A thousand rounds from a varmint or target rifle is a drop in the bucket.

FWIW, Guy

My first 30-06 I bought used in the late 60's. how much it was shot before I got it I don't know. It was a 725 Remington and I shot it a lot for everything, varmints ,target and deer. I didn't shoot it hot but I wore the throat out and the barrel need to be replaced. That barrel saw several thousand rounds a year for 5-6 years. I wanted a varmint caliber and replaced the barrel with a Douglas .257 bore and chambered it for the Roberts.
You can shoot out any caliber barrel if you miss treat or shoot a lot. The high velocity chamberings quicker than most. The 257 Roberts barrel has had over 1k threw it and you can still thread a needle with it. If not for loss of hunting farms for varmints it would have more threw it than that.
There's over 28 pages of post about the 26 Nosler on the 24hr Camp Fire forum some of which Fotis has contributed to. It's the most post I've seen any where, some of them knock it some of them anticipate the release of the 26 Nosler so they can buy one.
I think Fotis will have one of the first ones to hit the ground, probably already has it ordered. :mrgreen:

I've shot a few high-stepping cartridges, and managed to get very reasonable service out of them, Guy. You are correct, of course, in stating that a hunting rifle simply will not get as many rounds through it as will a varmint or competition rifle. A thousands rounds is a lot through a hunting rifle. Consequently, the 26 Nosler should give owners a good experience, just as doe the 280AI.

Back