26 Nosler ?

I've owed a .264 WM once, took a lot of game with it. Yet I never wore that barrel out, as well as a few other over bore cartridges. The guns that I've owned for hunting that shot extremely well were never used much other then for checking their zero and then to hunt with. Why waste a great hunting gun on shooting paper off a bench? These powerhouses are designed for a purpose so use them as they were intended, not heading to the range just to burn up a box of ammo on paper 100 yards away! I've seen these guys before cooking the barrel so hot you couldn't even touch it! Made me shake my head in disbelief.

Something like the 26 Nosler or any other cartridge like it deserves respect, and with a little special care it will last years of hunting use. If you are really fond of a hunting tool you own you'll treat it that way and save it for hunting game. And if or when it wears out you'll either sell it or do it all over again with another barrel. Maybe start life as a different round altogether? That's why we're all rifle loonies!

I just saw something that has me thinking. Nosler says the capacity of the new cartridge is 93gr, a 284 Winchester is 92grs and a 30-06 is 95grs. And this new cartridge will work out of a standard 30-06 length action. Hmmmm makes me wonder if it's a modified 284 or 30-06.

What's the case capacity on a .284? Or a .30-06? The case capacity for a .284 is closer to 66 grains. The case capacity for a .30-06 is slightly more, in the vicinity of 68 grains.

DrMike":2q8n7ksq said:
What's the case capacity on a .284? Or a .30-06? The case capacity for a .284 is closer to 66 grains. The case capacity for a .30-06 is slightly more, in the vicinity of 68 grains.

Mike I was looking at the .25-284 on a web site after Fotis posted the 257 Wby link to see how much difference it was between the two and one of the posters had stated the 284 had a case capacity of 92grs and the 30-06 had 95grs. I didn't think to double check the figures. :oops:

I saw this on Predator Masters forum Mike. Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read.

truck driver":3uieir8e said:
DrMike":3uieir8e said:

Mike I was looking at the .25-284 on a web site after Fotis posted the 257 Wby link to see how much difference it was between the two and one of the posters had stated the 284 had a case capacity of 92grs and the 30-06 had 95grs. I didn't think to double check the figures. :oops:

I saw this on Predator Masters forum Mike. Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read.

Somebody is posting crazy numbers for the 284 and 30-06 on Pred Masters. 93gr is RUM and 375 Ruger numbers.

SJB358":5h621hl8 said:
Yeah, 93 grains is a mound of propellant space....

I'll say it is....... I just weighed a 6.5/300 WSM case of mine w/water to the top of the neck and got 80.0 grains. So that's a 16.25% increase over the 6.5 WSM case depending on how case volume was measured?

That just up the velocity just a bit! Oh Ya.

I'm taking a SWAG here but I think the new 26 Nosler is a RUM case 2.5xx" long with a 30* shoulder.
That would give you the case capacity we are talking about.

JD338

Back on topic, I bought one of my Browning A-Bolt II rifles, chambered for the .300 WSM, I believe in 2001. Browning did not buy the assets of USRAC until 2005. Therefore, who cambered what WSM cartridge in which model before 2005 as far as Winchester and Browning is concerned, would be strictly a licensing issue.

Rigbymauser":1i32hudm said:
Will the new 26Nosler leave .257wea unemployed?.

Hardley :shock: - the 26Nosler does not even EXIST in the Real world yet ! And the 257 WBee is a Quarter Bore too not a METRIC cartridge like the ??? 26Nosler might be ! The 257 WBee is on the all time most POPULAR list - it will take 50 years for the ??? 26Nolser to catch up ! If it ever does ! I'm NOT waiting around for sometime thats already out there ! :lol:

Cheers :) RJ

Rem Jim":3u7l1rlq said:
Rigbymauser":3u7l1rlq said:

Hardley :shock: - the 26Nosler does not even EXIST in the Real world yet ! And the 257 WBee is a Quarter Bore too not a METRIC cartridge like the ??? 26Nosler might be ! The 257 WBee is on the all time most POPULAR list - it will take 50 years for the ??? 26Nolser to catch up ! If it ever does ! I'm NOT waiting around for sometime thats already out there ! :lol:

Rem Jim has spoken!

killdeernow":2g7w64ob said:
Rem Jim":2g7w64ob said:
Rigbymauser":2g7w64ob said:

Hardley :shock: - the 26Nosler does not even EXIST in the Real world yet ! And the 257 WBee is a Quarter Bore too not a METRIC cartridge like the ??? 26Nosler might be ! The 257 WBee is on the all time most POPULAR list - it will take 50 years for the ??? 26Nolser to catch up ! If it ever does ! I'm NOT waiting around for something thats already out there ! :lol:

Rem Jim has spoken!

Thank YOU ! That's Appreciated ! :lol: :grin:

Cheers :grin: RJ

I have as you guys remember a 7mm Allen Magnum, it has a case capacity of 122 gr of water, its never been shot hot, my hunting load runs a 160 gr AccuBond downrange at 3575 fps, my round count is just over 575 rounds, it has a total throat erosion of just over .004, take care of barrels and they last longer.
RR

RR, good to hear from you buddy. How'd you make out with the 7AM this Fall?

SJB358":23lfd60t said:
RR, good to hear from you buddy. How'd you make out with the 7AM this Fall?
took a couple LR does is all, think they were around 700 yards of a bit farther, the 6.5 gibbs is really shooting well so I use it mostly when hunting by myself.
The guys that hunt with me really like the AM so I let them shoot it.
RR

Gotcha, that's great. I know your Gibb's is a sweet rig as well. Sounds like you had a good time.

What are your running in your Gibb's now? I know you had some issues with 140 Berger's, just wondered if you switched up to anything different?

My 7MM-300 Weatherby with a Nosler AccuBond LR bullet with a .611 BC at 3450 fps is JUST as good or maybe a little better :shock: then the NEW 26 Nolser is with a AccuBond 129 gr LR bullet with a BC of .561 at 3400 - I might have a couple of inches more bullet drop at long range ( not at all any problem ! ) and i do have more THUMP when it hits - i also do it with about the same amount of powder then the 26 Nolser so there fore myself i do NOT see the need for a 26 Nolser for myself - BUT if i did not already have such a Great cartridge i would consider it ! A 7 MM RUM will give the same performance too ! JMO :grin:

Back