260 rem neck length?

Sas874runner

Handloader
Oct 10, 2012
I don't know if I remember correctly but was there an issue with 260 rem case length? Something that had to do with Neck length?

2.025 is the trim length for the 260 Remington. The only problem I have seen with neck length is when you make 260 cases out of 308 Win cases. The neck will be just a little shorter than the 260 Rem and make your over all length just a tad short. These cases work OK though because after a firing or two they grow to proper length. I found that it works best to neck up 243 Win cases to 260 Rem. The necks will be long enough to get the 2.025 trim to length. Learned all this when my buddy and I worked with one of the first Rem 700s to come out in 260 Rem. You could not get ammo or cases and there was no load data out yet. We treated it like a wildcat and made our own cases and used starting data for 6.5x55 Swede and worked up slowly. That rifle would shoot. We used H4350 with 120 and 140 Sierra sp bullets. We were doing crop damage control on a big farm in NC and took 50 deer that season with that rifle with both bullets and only had one deer move out of it's tracks after being shot. It only took 3 jumps. We shot them out to a little over 500 yards. I have a 6.5x55 and a 264 Win mag so I never saw the need for a 260 Rem. but it is a good round.

Back