270 wsm loads

mikel9322002

Beginner
Apr 3, 2011
hello all i am new to this forum and have been going thru it to get some info on reloading for a Browning X-Bot 270wsm , that i just bought , just wondering what powders where out there that were accurate, have gotten my dies winchester casings , and 130 grain Bts any info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks Mike

mikel9322002

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here.

Congratulations on your new 270 WSM, its a flat shooting, hard hitting round.
The fellas that load and shoot this round will be along shortly to give you some load suggestions.

JD338

In my 270wsm magpro and rl22 are excellent and produce top speeds and excellent accuracy. I use cci250 primers but alot of folks get by with regular large rifle primers. Give a look at Noslers load data and I would imagine you will find a powder you like. I haven't found the 270WSM very hard to load for and it is fast! Scotty

I run 66gr H4831SC, CCI 250 primer, 130NAB for 3200fps.
Remember to start low and work up

Randy

Mike,

Welcome to the forum. Your name is right, and you have a great cartridge to load. Any medium slow to slow powder will likely work in the 270 WSM (some better than others). I've recently had considerable success with RL17 and 130 grain E-Tips. I've also worked up some fantastic loads with RL19 and 140 grain ABs. Because of the velocities generated, and the possibility that game might be closer than we imagine on any hunt, I prefer to use a more robust bullet that will maintain its integrity at impact velocities generated by the 270 WSM. Thus, I like the AB and the E-Tip. The BT is an excellent bullet, and you should see some great accuracy with that bullet, however.

I got a 270wsm a couple months ago and love it so far, im still fine tuning though. I prettty close though. Today with a 140 AB, with RL-17, i got a 0.5 inch group, two in the same hole and one 1/2inch away, at 3178fps average. Im too picky though, i want them all in the same hole, haha.

Start at 60 gr of rl 22. You should top out about 65 or so.

that sounds Great , thought i would try Rl 22 first and see how that works, My scope will be here on Thursday i ordered a Nikon Monarch 3-12x 42 with bdc and side focus can't wait to try out the combination.

Mike, FWIW, I got great results in my .270WSM with the 140 gr AccuBond, 65.0 gr of Vihtavuori N-165 powder, Federal 210 primers and Winchester brass. Start lower and work up. I don't think the load was maximum in my rifle, but I stopped there because the accuracy was great and the velocity was good enough (around 3100 fps when the barrel was new)

Back