Loading the 7x57 round. What is the potential

I finally got my 7x57 from my smith, yeah? It started out as a like new Mod 70 Fwt push feed .270 Donor and I had a #2 Shilen 9" twist SS pillar bedded, floated, Rifle Basix Trigger. I put my Leupold 3.5x10 on it and went to the range. I zeroed it with some factory equiv 175 RN loads in new R-P cases ( shot around 3", but I was just putting some rounds downrange. Then I broke out my "private stash" of some Lapua Factory 7x57 ammo using their 170 RN. It was definitely loaded hotter! My barrel finished out at 25", and five (5!) went into a wad less than an inch at 100! Back home, I set my dies up for the R-P fired cases ( this is my only 7x57 anyhow) and loaded some Hornady 150 ELDx over Hunter. I will start at 48 and see if I can ease up to 50gr. Not sure whose Reamer he used but the throat is shorter than the old military and even the Ruger 77. I am 20 thou off the lands with a C.O.A.L. of an even 3". I'm not going to shoot anything heavier than the 160, mainly 150s down to the 120 NBT/TTSX and the Hammer 101gr. So far, I'm a happy boy! this makes Rifle Number 5 7x57 rifle for me, all in my search for an "accurate" 7x57. I think I'm onto a keeper...time will tell, lol.

For sure, the old 7X57 is a favourite cartridge in my inventory. It seems to punch well above its weight.

In a modern action it will clone the 7mm-08 easily.
I believe it was the October issue of RIFLE Magazine that contained a side bar article that opined that the 7mm-08 came into being at its higher pressures because the 7x57 was loaded to lower pressures in deference to the older rifles/ actions it might be chambered in. CL

All I remember reading about the early promotion of the 7mm08 was a Layne Simpson article on it being Jim Dandy on the Iron Chickens/Rams for Silouhette shooting. Then he wrote about how its high BC bullets made it a good longer range deer rifle, etc. Back then, I just wanted one of the Mod 700 Classics in 7x57, already had a .280 and a new 7mm Rem Mag.

I just finished rereading the posts but not sure I addressed this problem.

" Though I never cured the bulging case problem completely and never got the accuracy I wanted, I did however find a workable load."

I don't know what you considered a "workable load" but that slight bulge near the base of the cartridge case is probably perfectly normal regardless of the cartridge used. What did he say???? I said that result was perfectly normal.

Consider the, you have chambered a round in you rifle. What cartridge is totally irrelevant. You fire the rifle and as gases push the bullet toward the muzzle they also cause the cartridge case to expand in ever direction. Now the case is laying on the bottom of the barrel so as it expands, there is little or no weight on the top of the case but the total case weight is resting at the bottom of the chamber. Because of this, the "top" of the case will expand to a greater degree than the bottom, thus creating the bulge that was mentioned. Depending on how tightly the chamber job was done determines the size of the bulge. Simple when you think about it.

I have three riflef chambered to the 7x57 and I do load them quite hot. (150 r. Nosler Partition at 2880 FPS using RL17) Ruger is know for sometims having sloppy chambers. My Ruger #1 shows the greatest amount of bulging FWIW. My Winchester M70 XTR FWTnot so much. In fact it's a lot less than the Ruger. I also have a custom based on an FN Mauser and my gunsmith used a new match grade reamer when he did the barrel. Even with the hottest load I make you have to use a micrometer to measure the almost invisible bulge.

Think about how the shell lies in the chamber prior to firing and what would occur when you fire that rifle/round combination.
Paul B.

This rifle made up into an even 8#, not bad I figure for a 25" barrel and 3.5x10 scope. It actually feels much, much lighter in my hands, has great balance! Plus, its about as light a rifle as I can hold still out in the windy prairie/sage flats, where this rifle would be my primary use. I like to shoot from the sit with cross sticks out there. I'm still a pretty fair hand shooting off my hind legs out to about 125yds or so. I've done it farther a few times, but I much prefer using a rest of some sort when I tough one off. Now, this is just me....I don't like running shots, they tell me nothing of my skill as a Rifleman, I figure I may as well use a shotgun/buckshot! ha Its like me and Math, or doing mechanic work to me...I can "do it" but I don't like it, ha! :) I like to load any modern rifle and cartridge to its full potential. That being said, while my goal is not to try to make it a .280, ( I'm after accuracy with this jewel!) I don't think I'll be too far off when I get to clock it with its best loads.

From a performance level with a modern action, the 7x57 will have basically the same max distance as the 280.
That distance will be further than most guys are killing at

From a performance level with a modern action, the 7x57 will have basically the same max distance as the 280.
That distance will be further than most guys are killing at
That's the main reason I had it made up to 25", easy velocity plus a modern load...equals a sweetheart!

For decades the 7x57 with 140gr going somewhere around 2800 has worked swell. Lots of Game has been taken easily with this load/velocity. I like to imagine what it can do with the 150 going that fast ( maybe faster) and the 160 going 2700. I have already loaded for/shot alot of 140s in the 7mm-08/280/7mm RM/7mm STW/7MM RUM, so I focus now on the mid-heavy end (150-160 ) to (120-100 )on the light end. I like to do that in these later years anyhow. My focus is coyotes/rocks in the desert on the light end to deer/antelope/elk( SkinWalker Ranch Boogermen) on the heavy end, ha. I also love to go shoot at the rifle range, and the little 7x57 is a good one for that. Easier on the pocketbook too. I'm just so thrilled that the rifle wants to shoot well, so far. My 7x57 "White Whale" looks to be harpooned, finally! lol

Last edited:
Very nice. If you can land some 160 gr BT's, you would have one heck of a hunting rifle/load.

JD338

Got a top tang safety Ruger in 7 X 57.
It has proven to be finicky on what it likes for ammo but I have taken a couple of deer with it over the years.
It settled in a decent result with 139 grain Hornady but I actually took the deer with 150 grain Ballistic Tips.

I have a wad of the old Speer 160 MagTips and some Nosler 160PT. I also have a wad of Hornady 150 ELDX and a couple hundred 150 Partitions ( my main focus). I know I have a box of Barnes 120 TTSX and I "think" I have one of the 120 NBT, but I have to dig it all out this weekend.

Got a top tang safety Ruger in 7 X 57.
It has proven to be finicky on what it likes for ammo but I have taken a couple of deer with it over the years.
It settled in a decent result with 139 grain Hornady but I actually took the deer with 150 grain Ballistic Tips.
A Ruger 77 Tanger was "poor shooting" 7x57 Rifle #4 for me. In addition I tried 2 Mod 70 Fwts and a Mod 700 Classic...all were pretty much 2-21/2" shooters. Serviceable, sure, but not what I wanted. I really like the Mod 70 Fwt for a hunting rifle, thats why I had one rebarreled with a Shilen ( just cause I have had such good results from other Shilen barrels.) I never got to try a Mod 700 Mountain Rifle in 7x57 ( too scarce or too expensive, just saw one in LR Hunting Classifieds for $1250, which I wasn't willing to do) but I have had several MRs in 30-06, 280, 270, their skinny barrels are a real gamble for accuracy across the board. Picky usually to one weight, at least the ones I played with.

Whoopee! made a short range trip, the 48.5 and 50gr of Hunter both shot under an inch for three. Both hit in my zero; 48.5 +1.5"; 50 +2", I am jazzed! Only thing that "might" improve both is to try a BR2 Primer instead of the Fed LR Primer. Both had a tad of vertical spread, which could have been me, it was right at 32 deg, ha.

Sounds like you are on your way to finding a good load.

JD338

Whoopee! made a short range trip, the 48.5 and 50gr of Hunter both shot under an inch for three. Both hit in my zero; 48.5 +1.5"; 50 +2", I am jazzed! Only thing that "might" improve both is to try a BR2 Primer instead of the Fed LR Primer. Both had a tad of vertical spread, which could have been me, it was right at 32 deg, ha.
Be sure to redo the work up on those load during the heat of summer. Pressures could get out of hand when the days are hot.

"I like to load any modern rifle and cartridge to its full potential. That being said, while my goal is not to try to make it a .280, ( I'm after accuracy with this jewel!) I don't think I'll be too far off when I get to clock it with its best loads."

If you can find some, try RL17. My Winchester M70 Featherweight with factory 22" barrel will do 2880 FPS with .375" to .50" groups all day long. That load also works with .75" accuracy from a custom FN Mauser and right around 1.0 to 1.25" in a Ruger #1. Primer are only mildly flattens at that level and primer pockets have remains tight even after 19 time loaded. Naturally, YMMV. Note that the velocity is faster than advertised specs for the .280 Rem, or darn close to it depending on whose figures you read. The bullet is the 150 gr. Nosler Partition. I have gotten similar velocities using the 150 gr. Nosler ABLR (Nosler AccuBond Long Range) but so far accuracy has been dismal at best. DAMMIT!
Paul B.

I will for sure "hot weather check" all the loads I come up with through the winter. Out here, Fall hunts ( and even early winter hunts) can start out frosty and get right up in the 90's! R26 (in a 270) went wonky at 85 deg, and the rifle didn't do well anything else, ha. I had a favored load in a 280AI that was a Gem with 61gr/R22/150 NBT here and in WY, but in a warm Texas February locked the bolt up! I got it open, fortunately I had my game with that first shot.

I have a 7-08 that runs ELD-X 162’s @ 2653 out of a 22”. Last year I removed the scope from the rail and the barreled action from the stock to have the barrel threaded. Eventually I put it all back together and went out to shoot this fall to see if it was close. I shot one at 50 to check and then one at 100 to verify. My ballistic chart says, -0.10 @ 50 and 0 @ 100. 😎. Both are center.

Now I want a 7x57 like the OP

Attachments

• IMG_6109.jpeg
    IMG_6109.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 0
I have a 7-08 that runs ELD-X 162’s @ 2653 out of a 22”. Last year I removed the scope from the rail and the barreled action from the stock to have the barrel threaded. Eventually I put it all back together and went out to shoot this fall to see if it was close. I shot one at 50 to check and then one at 100 to verify. My ballistic chart says, -0.10 @ 50 and 0 @ 100. 😎. Both are center.

Now I want a 7x57 like the OP
That'll work nicely.

JD338

Back