300 H&H

Beginner
Aug 31, 2010
Chronograph-ed my Remington 721 300 H&H this morning. My hunting load is:
Norma cases
CCI 250 primer
66.0grs. of H4831sc
Nosler 200gr. Partition.
5 shot string shot at 2690.70 fps.average with an extreme spread of 14 fps.
Temp. outside was 40 degrees with 87% humility. Elevation was 450'.
Group is shooting good. Just wondering about velocity. I inherited this rifle from my father and is really sentimental to me. His actual load was 68grs. of military surplus powder behind a 180gr. Remington Bronze Point bullet.
My question is would you be happy with a 200gr. Partition traveling 2690fps?
Intent use would be for elk around 3000' to 6000" level in elevation where I hunt in the Cascades in Washington state.

It certainly isn't like lobbing rocks shooting a 200 gr bullet at 2700 fps, I topped out at 2600 fps in the 30-06's I had, maybe something like RL 25 might give you a bit more speed. Your current load will work fine as is but if it bothers you looking at a new powder might be in order.

gerry":ivj19epb said:
It certainly isn't like lobbing rocks shooting a 200 gr bullet at 2700 fps, I topped out at 2600 fps in the 30-06's I had, maybe something like RL 25 might give you a bit more speed. Your current load will work fine as is but if it bothers you looking at a new powder might be in order.

Good advice here. I've shot 200 grain bullets from a .356 and from a .358 that had less velocity. They killed game pretty smartly. I'd think that would work for you.

A normal 8x57 mauser vil do 2630 ft/sec with 198grain bullet just to make an comparison. My 300 H&H loaded up with 71 grain MRP will do + 3000 ft/sec very nicely with a 200 grain AB.

RL22 got me to 3015 pretty readily with 180's...might be worth a look-see (if you can get some of it) for the 200's?

If it is shooting well and drops are within your range to hold on hair, why mess w/ it? The cartridge is capable of more velocity but what will you gain this season?

If you're looking for more velocity, you can undoubtedly get more velocity. However, since it is an accurate load, I don't doubt that it will bring home game this season. You can work on velocity during the winter and spring.

I'm sure you could push to 2800 and more, but... It looks like a real nice load.

I've had no problem taking game at 300+ yards, with a 2600 fps load. It's really not all that much drop to deal with, using a 200 yard zero.

You're essentially at 2700 fps - about the same as my .308 & .30-06 loads that have worked very well at 200, 300 and somewhat beyond.

I'd document this load and figure on staying with it, but it might be fun to try something else to reach that 2800+ fps level if you want to experiment a bit. Do you have the Nosler manual?

Guy

BTW - my best long-range load for my .300 WSM, which has almost the same case capacity as your .300 H&H, only turns up 2815 fps, with 210 gr Berger VLD bullets. You're only about 125 fps behind that, and my load works GREAT at long range. Really long range.

Guy

Thanks for your opinions. Load shoots real good and has taken a mule deer. Chronograph-ed load for custom turret for up coming new scope. Trying to decide between a Leupold VX-6 1X6 or 2X12 scope.
Guy, 67.0grs. of H4831 is max in Nosler's manual. I went with H4831sc because it meters much better.

Have you tried the max load listed?

I have found several times, that the harder I push a slow-burning powder & heavy bullet - the better results I see...

Guy

It probably would be worth going up to the max charge like Guy suggested, it may be a better load.

I have tried max. load with the 200gr. AccuBond but not the Partition. Started working up loads with the AccuBond then nobody in my area had them. They had the Partitions. Looking at Hodgdon's load data on their website is 67.0grs. min. and 72.0grs. max of H4831 with a 200gr. SE HPBT. Where as Nosler's manual is 67.0grs. max.

Those old 721s will stand a stiffer load than the poster has used, but his load will work for him within his hunting area. The 200 gr. PT for elk .... one of the best!

Guy Miner":2fx2vv7n said:
the harder I push a slow-burning powder & heavy bullet - the better results I see.
+1, and far be it from me to criticize a guy for tinkering...

However, the load you have and the accompanying statistics are pretty danged reliable. Great load for a wonderful cartridge, and a great old rifle!

Back