300 WSM Accubond Question

rshunter

Beginner
Oct 28, 2006
I am thinking of switching from 165 grain CT's to Accubonds for whitetails in Georgia. My question is should I stay with the 165-grain weight or should I go down to the 150's? I am using 66 grains of IMR 4831 for the CT's with excellent accuracy. Do I use the same reloading data with the Accubonds? I can't find a listing for the accubonds listed in the Nosler manual I have. It is the fifth edition. Thanks for any help.

I think that the 165 grain bullet weight will prove to be very usefull in the 300WSM. It is my current choice in the new rifle I bought in that caliber.

I think I would prefer the 165's over the 150 grain bullets. They have a better B.C. and a longer shank to help in weight retention. You can shoot them plenty fast in that caliber to get a flat shooting load if needed, and they will have a better chance of complete penetration on close shots for a better blood trail that might help some times.

You can just use the 165 grain load data in your Nosler Manual Number 5. The Accubonds were not available yet when that data was created. Just start down a little from maximum and go from there.

I currently shoot 165 grain Accubonds in my 300WSM using 67 grains of H 4350. I am getting close to 3200 fps and groups under an inch any time I do my part.

Most of my shots are less than 100 yards. Should I stick with the CT's for the close shots? I originally bought the rifle for londer shots but find myself hunting in places where 100 yards is the max. Thanks for your input.

Which CT bullet are you shooting? If it is the ballistic tip I would definitally switch to the AccuBond for less meat damage. I would stay with the 165 weight for the same reason and for better penetration on close shots. I am not obsessed with saving meat but when a shoulder shot damages the backstraps I am not happy. A 150gr load out of a 300wsm at close range could do that.

For shots under 100 yards I would prefer the AccuBond to the CT Ballistic Tip. And I would prefer the 165 to the 150's for the reasons above.

There is, of course, another option. You could shoot the 165 Nosler Partition. You would be sure to have the best penetration and not so much meat damage. I shot a bear this year at about 50 yards with a 140 Partition from a 270 WSM. That bullet went right through both shoulders with little meat damage and the bear went down without ever taking another step.

R Flowers":y6pxjdn3 said:
I think that the 165 grain bullet weight will prove to be very usefull in the 300WSM. .

I agree. I would even opt for 180 AB for everything!

glas to see everyone is talking about a 165 grain bullet for the .30 caliber. First season Colorado I used a 165 grain Partition for my .300WSM and took a nice 5X5 weighing in the area of 450-500lbs. Shot was roughly 60 yards and the Elk went roughly 30 yards after being hit. Naturally the shot was on the down side of the hill and the Elk had to be quartered in order to get it out. Saw roughly 50 Elk over the course of the 5 day season.

I have shot over 10 different bullets loaded with 9 different powders in most. I have always come back to the 165 g bt. It is the perfect weight for a 1-9 barrel as most wsm are cut. Also it by far has the best accuracy.

My current loading is 69.5g w760

Beware, this is listed as an overload by nosler. It is very safe in my gun and has less recoil than many factory loads, but I atribute that to my rifles extended headspace. I use this load in fire formed cases. Accuracy is downright unheard of for a factory rifle. 5 shots under 0.295 and 4 of the 5 are in less than .25.

I have tried the AccuBond and the accuracy is a loss, therefore I will defer to the the 4 dead bt deer. They all showed perfect bullet performance.

Use what works well in your rifle. Nothing makes up for shot placement....

rshunter, forot to mention what my load was for the elk. Again, using the 165 grain Partition I load with 67 grains of IMR4831 and a Fed 215M primer. Velocity is 3050 from the 24 inch barrel of my Kimber. Hope this helps

I am using the ct ballistic tips. Almost all the deer I have shot, I neck shoot. One of the ones I shot in the shoulder at about 40 yards had to be shot again.

i dont shoot a 300 wsm and have just started accubonds but i too hunt in the south and use a 308 win and nailed a doe broadside yesterday @ 80 yards. great blood trail out of the 150gr AB... she went about 20 yards as i hit her a few inches high and behind the shoulder but still got all lung

good size hole as she was draining blood pretty quick

150ABdoe.jpg

Back